Yamaha R3 Forums banner

481 - 494 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked mine up from the police vehicle pound.

Tuesday last week I rode into town to shop for my wife's birthday and must have dropped my key in the car park. The wrong person found it and my bike was gone. The CCTV in the car park showed it being ridden off by someone young with a hood pulled up over his head, no helmet through a busy town centre at lunchtime.

Thursday night just after midnight I had a call from the police to say that it had been found parked in a street in London, 80 miles away and was being removed to the nearest vehicle pound.

When I picked it up yesterday it was undamaged but the top box and mounting frame had been removed. I'd left my helmet and gloves in the box. The tripmeter showed that in the two and a half days the bike was missing it had covered about 350 miles and the average mpg had dropped from my regular 78 to 45! With the roads in the south of England being as crowded as they are and the weather cool and wet that must have taken some doing.

Riding home, the bike seems not to have suffered but that lapse of concentration on my keys has hit my wallet for the best part of £600.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Keith, Sorry for your troubles. I guess there are "Good Samaritans" everywhere. Try to look on the bright side.. Did that stolen helmet really fit as well as you wanted?? It's the time of the year for "New and Improved Models" and "Holiday Sales" on lighter, safer, more colourful helmets. I don't mean to sound flippant, but sometimes you just have to kick at the neighbor's dog, spit on the kitchen floor, and go about the day. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keith, Sorry for your troubles. I guess there are "Good Samaritans" everywhere. Try to look on the bright side.. Did that stolen helmet really fit as well as you wanted?? It's the time of the year for "New and Improved Models" and "Holiday Sales" on lighter, safer, more colourful helmets. I don't mean to sound flippant, but sometimes you just have to kick at the neighbor's dog, spit on the kitchen floor, and go about the day. ;)
You're right, I had been thinking it was time for a new helmet and the one I found is a great match for the bike's colours. I'll post a pic of them together tomorrow. The gloves were favourites though and the time spent travelling to the pound and waiting while they sloooooooooooooowly processed the paperwork was a pain in the backside.

But it could have been worse. Lesson learnt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went to a saddlery to add 2 inches to my stock seat. 1 hour later, i felt like seating on an r6 while still being able to fully flat foot.
Rode 20mins to my fav mech to install my racing footrests. Chose the mid rise settings for the footrest and swapped to a black adjustable lever.
Took it for a test roundabout. First thought, clutch free play was way to much, i like it at the edge. Fixed that. Now my r3 feels like a MotoGP 2 bike. No corners are the same again.

Whats next? Aftermarket clip-ons with a drop angle and we're done.

edit: are we ever done though?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not quite today, but "sold it". Walked into a local dealership in January to inquire about the T700, and came home with a demo model Ducati marked down big time. One of my wife's friends is taking an MSF course, so I let her have my old r3. It's lived a tough life over the ~30k miles I put on it including being totaled and rebuilt twice, slowly tipped over a few more times, ocassionally taken off roading and being generally abused my right wrist. It's still kicking though, and should make an amazing bike to learn on. Pre-crashed to help ease the guilt of a new rider ;)

It was a bittersweet moment, but I am very happy with the new purchase. Fits my needs for an all around commuter/touring/shenanigan bike very well. I've gotten a few hundred miles on it when it's been decent out and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces soon as the weather starts to break.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally replaced stock levers with Norton Racing units after the stock brake lever got twisted up in a low-side. Also replaced the stock brake pedal and replaced the signals with TST halo units. Waiting for arrival of new plastics from Partzilla and just ordered a chain/sprocket kit from Jesse as well. Pretty soon she'll be back and better than ever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wasn't happy with how an integrated tail light seemed to remove lighting from the rear of the bike. Added a pair of amber 5050 LED strips (very cheap and extremely bright) on rear for turn signals and just got another pair of amber 5050 red strips to add as additional brake lights. Looking for a pair of auxiliary lights to put on the front now!

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, after finally receiving most of the back ordered parts, I was able to piece the R3 back together for the most part following a highway low side a couple months back. Last go around about a month ago, I got the bike half assembled before I realized the factory sent me the wrong side fairing. Additionally, discovered that the headlight housing had all 4 mounting points cracked through so had to order another. That said, got up early yesterday and got to wrenching. Did the following:

New headlight
New cowl
New brake side fairings
Zero Gravity SR smoked windscreen
TST flush signals w/ GTR halo
TST smoked tail light w/ integrated signals
Vortex sprockets w/ DID chain

All said and done, getting back to presentable condition. I’m still waiting on a new main brake side fairing and the exhaust is a bit scuffed up. Looking to replace with a full system in the new future. Overall though, lines are much cleaner now.

·
Registered
17 Posts

It's alive! I wasn't living at home for over a year and the bike sat wrapped in plastic since the end of 2018.New battery, chain, "new" tires, oil, brake fluid and fuel. I'm a bit more of a car guy and still a bike noob but the rubber and plastic hoses, fittings and seals still look in decent shape and no obvious rust.

Started up with no issue and went around the block without dying once! It's my first time swapping a new chain on a bike and the tension is great but something still looks a little wonky. I tried the 'two string' method and measured everyone the best I could, but still it looks a little off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
View attachment 67598

View attachment 67599

It's alive! I wasn't living at home for over a year and the bike sat wrapped in plastic since the end of 2018.New battery, chain, "new" tires, oil, brake fluid and fuel. I'm a bit more of a car guy and still a bike noob but the rubber and plastic hoses, fittings and seals still look in decent shape and no obvious rust.

Started up with no issue and went around the block without dying once! It's my first time swapping a new chain on a bike and the tension is great but something still looks a little wonky. I tried the 'two string' method and measured everyone the best I could, but still it looks a little off.
I have one of these from cyclegear and it helps make sure the alignment is on. Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool - RevZilla

·
Registered
79 Posts
Installed some nice front turn signals that put a nice light glow on my 2015 Yamaha R3:)

481 - 494 of 494 Posts