Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum

I have been getting lots of troubles trying to trigger the pave sensors on a left turn.

I read that is usual with bikes and worst with smaller ones.

Is there any technique or device for this?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Several. Buy a magnet at your local motorcycle store and stick in under your bike. Or your boot. If you are too cheap, or dont believe it works, you could try getting your kickstand down and putting that on the sensor. Here in California you can see where they cut into the cement, and placed the sensor, then covering it with whatever that black stuff is. I am assuming silicone? Tar? When all else fails, run it if its safe. I have heard you can legally do so if you believe the light to be faulty, as in it wont pop your left turn signal due to the sensor not registering your bike, but I cannot find the CVC for that so I am not sure how true it is.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here in SoCal I just wait like it says in the DMV manual. If you wait what would equal two cycles of the light, it doesn't change you are permitted to advance if its clear. Something like that. I did it twice the other day, there is no way I am getting off my bike and walking to the crosswalk button. Since its a complete guess at what two cycles of the light would be when its NOT changing, I wait a min or two then just go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There's another thread on this somewhere - but if it's an intersection you've gone through more than once, contact the county engineer or whatever authority takes care of the lights in your jurisdiction. They can be calibrated, and if you're in the USA, they're required to be calibrated correctly for traffic.

It's mostly a matter of knowing where to set up. There's enough metal in the alloy wheels of a carbon framed bicycle to trigger a light (though not in a bike with carbon rims and spokes). Position your bike so you're crossing more than one arm of the loop if possible. There are a few different patterns for the loops, but if you set up a couple of feet behind the stop bar, inside the wheel tracks but outside the oil slick, you're pretty sure to be on the loop.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In WA I just have to wait one light cycle. Which is what I do nowadays and treat it like a stop sign. Much easier than worrying about alignment with magnets and such.

Sad thing is some people behind me honk at me when I go through the redlights thinking I'm some sort of hooligan or something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like others have said some times you can see the lines in the pavement, I try to stop right on them. I'll wait and if no cars come to trigger it I'll run over to the cross walk button and press it when the coast is clear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
some people behind me honk at me when I go through the redlights thinking I'm some sort of hooligan or something.
If there's a car behind you, just turn around and beckon them to pull up so they're on the loop. Point at the light and then the loop if they don't get it right away, but mostly they do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your advice, still seems to be a gray line, i think a cop could still assume i'm doing it wrong and give me a ticket.

Even when the law allows me to go after a couple of cycles, i will still feel "wrong" if i had to turn with a big red arrow in my forehead ;)

Buy a magnet at your local motorcycle store and stick in under your bike. Or your boot.
Does those magnets really work? have any one of you guys tried it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If there's a car behind you, just turn around and beckon them to pull up so they're on the loop. Point at the light and then the loop if they don't get it right away, but mostly they do.
This is what I've been doing if there is traffic. I scooch up as far as i can safely and wave them up. If there is nobody around, I just give it like 30 seconds and treat it like a stop sign.

·
Registered
227 Posts
if picking up neodymium magnet do read a few simple basics
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/safety.asp
keep it mind that it does get demagnetized in high temperature and throw off the navigation to keep in mind where to place them

those with warning about pacemakers were like 20years old+, pacemakers do generally get replaced 6-8years with battery die out(and get shielded with nowadays). Unless you live in developing countries I doubt anyone still got those around

I fell into those situation couple times by riding early morning(6am) but that's about it. Live in populated area enough that some car always activate them for me. Thought about getting them but gave up the idea. IF there's quiet enough not to have a car to get the coil activated, you should be able to make a safe left turn freely anyway

·
Registered
254 Posts
My third light out the the Yamaha Dealer was exactly that. 2nd cycle on a three way intersection. I was holding center of a single lane. thought passed if I could just reach the button. NOT. Ended up making a right turn then a 1/4 block U turn and On my way in the right direction. I had my friend following me home to get my truck home From Yamaha Dealer. When I got home I told him i couldn't get the light to change. I tried back and forth over the sensor. but didn't work. He told me about the Magnets. Ive been reminded to get one for my R3.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use one of those green light magnets and its hit or miss. I know where I have it placed and know to line it up on the induction ring, some lights it works, most lights it doesn't. The intersection light to turn onto the main road outside my gated community, it just never works. Even with 2 motorcycles with these magnets and each one on either side of the ring, light just never changes. And what's worse is its a hill along with various things blocking the view on the left so I cannot just treat the left turn like a stop sign because I cannot see the cars coming from the left (because of this vision impairment the city even posted a no right turn on red sign above the light). This particular light I have no choice but to wait for a car across the intersection to come and trigger the induction to change the light.

I keep thinking I don't want to use the kickstand method to trigger it but I might just try that out the next time.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I use one of those green light magnets and its hit or miss. I know where I have it placed and know to line it up on the induction ring, some lights it works, most lights it doesn't. The intersection light to turn onto the main road outside my gated community, it just never works. Even with 2 motorcycles with these magnets and each one on either side of the ring, light just never changes. And what's worse is its a hill along with various things blocking the view on the left so I cannot just treat the left turn like a stop sign because I cannot see the cars coming from the left (because of this vision impairment the city even posted a no right turn on red sign above the light). This particular light I have no choice but to wait for a car across the intersection to come and trigger the induction to change the light.

I keep thinking I don't want to use the kickstand method to trigger it but I might just try that out the next time.
Wonder if it could depend on how deep the induction coil is buried in the road? Or if the city went with Low Bid on the coil?

Maybe a steel-toed boot put down right on top of the coil would work....

·
Registered
717 Posts
For those of you considering using the kickstand down method, don't forget to put it back up before you shift into gear, or your bike will die.
That can not only be embarrassing, but also dangerous. No rider wants to get rear ended by a car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts