Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought of an idea to start something where people could come together and list what they currently wear on their bikes.

It doesn't matter if you went for the most expensive brands or wanted to be more modest. Anything goes (just please no casual clothing)

The intention of this is to help those looking for input on specific gear and to assist new riders in recommending adequate protection. Post a picture if you want.

I purchased my gear from FortNine and GP-Bikes: :cool:

Helmet : Arai RX-Q Groove Helmet (orange/black w/silver shield) (medium)

Earplugs: Cheap little foams

Jacket: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air Jacket (Black/white with Kilm D3O back protector) (Large)

Pants: Dainese D1 EVO Jeans (with hip and knee pads) (size 32w-30l)

Gloves: Held Phantom II Gloves (black/white) (size 9)

Boots/Shoes: SIDI Vertigo Boots (size 11 US)

Back-Pack: OGIO Clutch Backpack (orange)

Edit: Ehhhh offering helpful suggestions, I love it @Kojiiro . Added sizing and pics.
I am 5'11" 183lb athletic build with a size 11.5 casual shoe and big calves.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Last edit I promise. @Nubster: I like your thread and how are trying to help people decide with gear, but it would be more helpful if you posted height/weight/body type, etc.

-Alpine stars Roam 2 boots.
-Bilt Kevlar reinforced jeans for everyday riding to work.
-707 helmet. I really like this brand for my head shape and ability to wear glasses inside.

Everyday jacket is an AStars stunt jacket.
Canyon riding I attach the jacket to an AStars track pants.
Have worn the same set up on track days, zipped together.

I also have a Komine 1 piece track suite.

Oh and Sedici gauntlet gloves. And AStars nucleons back protector.

Edit: if it helps I weigh 144 and 5'11" though on paper they measure me at 5'9" since I have bad posture and slouch. Call me 5'10" I guess? Long legs, short torso and the A Stars pants fit just perfect. Snug as they should be. My jacket is 38us/48euro and it's somewhat loose around the chest but snug/perfect on the arms. Not sure if I just have a small chest for my height/weight or if they are cut different.

The Komine 1 piece on the other hand is loose in the legs but perfect everywhere else.

My boots have seen some better days but are still alive and kicking. Been down a few times on the street and track. Time to get a new pair soon, this pair is almost 4 years old, though I did not ride most of last year due to deployments.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Here's a comparison of what my $400+ jacket and $400 pants (bought at discount prices of course, you just gotta wait on the deals) in a track day low side vs similar speed street low side:

Left pant leg
AStars pucks Velcro area stitching has come undone, but that's probably normal no matter what brand you get. The stitching on that secondary layer of leather has come undone as well.

Left forearm
I wear a med/large glove so use that thumb size as a reference for the size of that hole. This was from the low side at the track mentioned above.

And here's my "cheap" gear from CG labeled as Bilt. Similar speed low side but on the street. No hole in the jacket.

The stretch paneling did get a hole though.

Bilt pants. Was wearing these along with jacket above in the canyons when I went down. Hole size is about the size of a quarter. No pucks on these pants but it has CE padding.

I'm not promoting Bilt gear, but I do just want to point out that there are cheap alternatives out there and I would much rather see us riders rocking some cheap gear than no gear. **** you can even buy used if you don't mind. You will probably just end up buying more gear anyways.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Much like @Kojiiro I'm very much a deal/value oriented person - I also value my skin so I wouldn't get something un-safe or un-reliable. Also being heavier at 5'9 230lbs it's hard to find euro gear that fits properly so I find myself using american cut stuff (for now), need to keep losing.

Helmet : Bell Qualifier DLX in use with Sena 10s, Speed and Strength 1300?, Bilt Viper Cyclone

Earplugs: NoNoise Motorsport

Jacket: Speed and Strength Hammer Down with Icon D30 Elbows CE armor all the way around, full CE1 back protector (previously had Chain Reaction)

Pants: Scorpion Covert Pro (Normal street riding) - Tried Bull-It SR4's but the legs past my knees were huge.

Gloves: Alpinestars SMX-1 Air, Icon Wireform, Speed and Strength Chain reaction, Speed and Strength Power & the Glory

Boots/Shoes: TCX S-Speed Vented

Knee: Icon Field Armor Street Knee

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 5'7" and 150lbs. Apparently I'm built oddly. Shorter legs and arms, and longer torso. Torso measurement is 19", inseam 30", 40" chest, 31" waist.

How past race suits have fit:

Dainese Techno size 50eu: Was a tad long in the arms and legs. The torso of the suit was pretty straight cut instead of a taper. Was a little snug in the chest with a back protector on, but was a bit loose in the midsection. The torso was very short. No way you could keep the suit on all day at the track, especially if you were walking around. Have owned the suit for 17 years and raced in it for 10; so it was livable.

Alpinestars Tech 1R size 50eu: Bought this to replace the Dainese. Arms and legs were way to long, causing bunching with my gloves and boots on. Torso had a good taper so it fit nicely with a back protector on. Torso length wasn't as bad as the Dainese either. However when riding I found that the suit dug into the tops of my shoulders. This was very painful and there was no way that I could use the suit on the track. Kept it for about a month and did everything I could to make it work, but in the end wound up selling it.

Current gear I'm using:
Helmets:
Arai Corsair V
AGV GP Tech

Jacket:
RS Taichi GMX Motion jacket (50eu)

Suits:
RS Taichi GP Max R101 (50eu)
RS Taichi GP WRX R303 (50eu)

Gloves:
Held Titans

Boots:
Alpinestars Supertech R

Protection:
ForceField Pro L2K Evo back protector

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am 5'10" and weigh approx 180lbs and most euro sizes within the 50-52 range fit quite well. I may be wrong here, but the sales people at the bike show were telling me that if I can fit a hoodie under my leather jacket, its too big because it will properly stretch to the form of your body. When I do need some more warmth on the cooler days, I just throw a hoodie over it, rather than underneath.
If you are sticking to the street and don't plan on tracking your bike, I wouldn't necessarily see a reason to purchase a 1 piece suit, but I would definitely recommend some good quality gear (leather rather than textile/mesh).

My friend low sided doing about 60kms (40mph) and his mesh jacket went straight in the garbage. If he was wearing good quality leather, it would get a bit scuffed, but it would still be in tact and usable. If you are concerned about leather being too hot in the summer, a nice perforated leather jacket breathes more air than you think it would. In Toronto we get stupid hot/humid summer days over 35c/100+f and my perforated leather jacket kept me nice and cool (as long as I was moving....standing still was not so comfortable though).

I currently have:
Helmet:
HJC GF-17 Valhalla

Jacket:
Perforated Leather Alpinestars GP Plus R

Pants:
Resurgence Kevlar/Armored Jeans with D30 knee/hip protection

Gloves:
Tecknik Violator & Alpinestar SP-2 (waiting for new pair A*)

Boots:
Alpinestars SMX-6

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I am 5'10" 150lbs. I have long legs and arms. Relatively short torso.
I have lots of different gear from all different manufacturers, but I will list my favorites:

Helmet: HJC RPHA-10 / SHOEI RF-1200
Jacket: Alpinestars V4 leather / Cortech VRX-Air for hot weather riding
Pants: AGV Sport Willow leather / Draggin Jeans / KNOX kevlar jeans with hip and knee armor
Gloves: Held Steve Classic / Dianese MiG
Shoes: Alpinestars SMX-1 / Sidi Doha

·
Registered
42 Posts
5'9", 180 lbs.

Helmet: Bell Vortex Manifest

Jacket: Alpinestars T-Jaws Air (replaced chest and back foam padding with Alpinestars KR-Ci and Alpinestars KR-2i armour)

Gloves: Five RFX4 ST

Pants: Resurgence Pekev Jet Black jeans (Knox Flexiform hip and knee armour)

Footwear: Alpinestars Faster

Reactions: Nubster and Kojiiro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also budget conscious and deal/value oriented – so most of the stuff that I acquired was on a sale of some sort. I try to secure what’s reputable and reliable. I’m 5’7”, 135 lbs., 32 inseam (more leg length than torso) being safe and having adequate protection is my primary concern. The euro gear/sizing seems to work the best for me. My gears were purchased from various vendors (whoever has the best deals), Revzilla, STG, ebay, amazon, etc.

The Dainese Air Frazer outfit is pretty much a 2 piece which can be zipped together since it has a 360 zipper. If ever i decide to do a track day, i can utilize this set up.

· Helmet: RPHA Pro MAX (Black White)
· Earplugs: Sonic Defenders & foams
· Jacket: REV'IT Raceway with REV'IT Seesoft Back Protector Insert (Red/White/Black), Dainese Air Frazer Leather Textile jacket with D2 Back Protector.
· Pants: AlpineStars Resist jeans, Dainese Air Frazer D1 Textile-Leather Pants Black
· Knee Protector: Forcefield Graph Limb Tubes
· Gloves: AlpineStars SP8 (Red/black/white), AGV Sport Jet Textile
· Boots/Shoes: TCX X-Cube, Dainese TR-Course Out Air.

·

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
While we are talking about gear and possible track days, I personally like 2 piece suits even though I have a 1 piece as well. I know most track orgs that allow for zip together suits will say something like "Needs to zip 3/4 around" or "all the way around" etc. I have only been to two track days but at both, neither org's staff even looked at our gear. For you guys that have been to lots of track days, what's your experience with the regs on two piece suits?

·
Registered
8 Posts
While we are talking about gear and possible track days, I personally like 2 piece suits even though I have a 1 piece as well. I know most track orgs that allow for zip together suits will say something like "Needs to zip 3/4 around" or "all the way around" etc. I have only been to two track days but at both, neither org's staff even looked at our gear. For you guys that have been to lots of track days, what's your experience with the regs on two piece suits?
MCRA requires that 2-piece suits be fully zipped together. We also have to bring all our gear with us (or be wearing it) for inspection when we take the bikes through tech.

I've also seen the track crew walk up and make sure two piece suits are zipped together while lining up to enter the track.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
MCRA requires that 2-piece suits be fully zipped together. We also have to bring all our gear with us (or be wearing it) for inspection when we take the bikes through tech.

I've also seen the track crew walk up and make sure two piece suits are zipped together while lining up to enter the track.
Fully zipped as in 360 degrees? I think my AStars jacket and pants only zip about 90 degrees around the back. Not sure what it is exactly bt it definitely doesn't cover more than half of the suit. Also, that org is for racing yeah. For track days I am sure they are a bit more forgiving. **** I have heard/read some track orgs that allow Kevlar jeans ( not sure if I read it in this forum or in the N650 forums), but that was more of an intro to track riding rather than a full on track day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From what i was told, a 360 zipper is required. In the event of a fall and with the possibility of sliding on your stomach, the jacket will most likely lift leaving you exposed if it's not zipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think they will allow jeans to be worn in the Test The Track group. In Novice group I have seen a couple people wear 2 piece textile suits, but I think it was their first track day.

Your best bet is to contact the organization that is putting on the track day and ask about their rules.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Helmet: Shoei RF 1200 (Med)
Jacket: Alpinestars Jaws Perforated Leather (Eur 50)
Pants: AGV Willow Perforated Leather (Size 32)
Shoes: Alpinestars SMX 3 (EUR 41)
Gloves: Cortech Impulse ST (Small)

5'7, 150 lbs, average to athletic build with 36 inch chest in business suits

My biggest challenge was figuring out leather sizing and whether it should fit closest to your measurements despite being uncomfortable and letting the leathers stretch, or to have it fit comfortably off the hanger. In most cases when I've consulted with Gear Geeks or Customer Service, the answers are all over the map and really comes down to personal preference. It should be snug enough so the armor doesn't fit loose but not so tight that it'll distract you from concentrating on the road. I don't think leathers stretch out a full size but that also depends on what other material your jacket is made of.

For my jacket, I "should" have gone with a EUR 46 (based on conversion chart) but given they are European fit, I was surprised I had to to go up two sizes to a EUR 50 with the liner jacket to keep it comfortable with just a t-shirt underneath. Not the most complimenting..... :eek:

·
Registered
542 Posts
5'11 170 lbs... Lots of gear acquired over the years...

2 dainese size 52 leather jackets, one perforated one solid

Icon hooligan High Vis mesh jacket, large I think.

Scorpion textile jacket, medium (just barely fits me, real snug)
Agv 2 pc high vis rain suit large

Icon Kevlar jeans size 32

Alpinestar smx 1 boots

Crappy bilt high boots for the track

Alpinestar 52 track suit (orbiter I think)

2 bell rs1 helmets w/ photochromatic visor on my daily

A*, dainese, sedici, klim gloves to cover all seasons. (plus my mountaineering mittens for sub freezing rides) All large/xl.

Dainese back protector... Don't remember the size.

Also have a few under armour tights, shorts and shirts for under my track suit or gear if it's extra cold/hot. Originally purchased for running, but also useful on the bike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just started this season, was looking for enough gear to keep me outta trouble on the road and at the bank.

Helmet: Icon Airmada bioskull

Armour: TMS full body armour & Armoured shorts

Boots: Alpinestars SMX1 vented

Gloves: Knock off Alpinestars GP Pro

Backpack: Knock off Alpinstars Tech aero

I wear w/e jacket I desire ontop of my armour and so far im very happy with this set up. The knockoff gear was actually quite good in quality, im happy with the products. I would like kevlar jeans with knee protection soon as im only wearing regular jeans atm ontop of the armour.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Most jeans with knee protection is worthless and moves around too much, get some limb tubes or something or over the top knee protectors, work much better (from personal experience).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts