Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Most jeans with knee protection is worthless and moves around too much, get some limb tubes or something or over the top knee protectors, work much better (from personal experience).
From personal experience, I would disagree. I had some icon Kevlar jeans and I am a small guy so everything is usually baggy on me. Went down, knee protection did its job. Now every crash is different but in my case the pads and Kevlar reinforcement did its job.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not saying it wouldn't save you, but with the amount it can move it's kind of ridiculous - might as well spend an extra $20 or $30 over the cost of pads and just get ones that strap to your leg and don't move at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Dainese Evo's are sooo darn tight a quarter coin won't even move in my pocket lmao. Not as strong as exterior pads though imo, but not as bulky

·
Registered
22 Posts
Helmet: Shoei RF 1200 (Med)
Jacket: Alpinestars Jaws Perforated Leather (Eur 50)
Pants: AGV Willow Perforated Leather (Size 32)
Shoes: Alpinestars SMX 3 (EUR 41)
Gloves: Cortech Impulse ST (Small)

5'7, 150 lbs, average to athletic build with 36 inch chest in business suits

My biggest challenge was figuring out leather sizing and whether it should fit closest to your measurements despite being uncomfortable and letting the leathers stretch, or to have it fit comfortably off the hanger. In most cases when I've consulted with Gear Geeks or Customer Service, the answers are all over the map and really comes down to personal preference. It should be snug enough so the armor doesn't fit loose but not so tight that it'll distract you from concentrating on the road. I don't think leathers stretch out a full size but that also depends on what other material your jacket is made of.

For my jacket, I "should" have gone with a EUR 46 (based on conversion chart) but given they are European fit, I was surprised I had to to go up two sizes to a EUR 50 with the liner jacket to keep it comfortable with just a t-shirt underneath. Not the most complimenting..... :eek:
We're about the same size. For leather jackets I wear a 38.. Not overly tight or loose. For textile i have a dainese 36 that fits me like a glove.

By the way, how do you like your AGV pants? Whats your waist size? I"m usually a 30, but are you a 30 too and does the 32 fit you better?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I already posted my gear earlier.. (I only have jacket, helmet and gloves) but I am still conflicted on pants and boots. I know ATGATT is the theme around here. But both seem like a PITA as I would have to carry extra clothes, change when I get to work, etc.. I know not a huge deal but again a PITA and the thought makes me less excited to ride. I have also found that I am the most comfortable in my low cut Converses as it is easier to shift, and being a n00b that helps, but they have basically no ankle protection whatsoever. I mean I am not wearing shorts and flip flops here which I see more than I should.. It is a gamble of course but what I have seems like a reasonable balance.. of course until I go down. :/

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Do what you want man. I believe most that are trying to promote gear are just trying to look out as they have either went down, or know someone who has. It's not fun. Gear matters and absolutely helps. I've been down a few times. There is a video of a passenger female. She didn't have motorcycle boots, only shoes like you are comfy in. Her foot came off at the ankle. I have a hard time accepting that even "motorcycle shoes" will help you. They might just come off. So, get used to the initial stiffness of a motorcycle boot, or get used to the constant thought of some serious damage to your legs. Same thing for any other part of your body. It's a pain in the ass by so is scraping out road rash. Well all accept risk at one point or another, the trick is finding a good balance. Taking a literal two minutes more per day swapping out to work clothes is worth the extra security for me and the peace of mind it gives my family. I wear track boots to work. It's not that big of a deal to change out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I already posted my gear earlier.. (I only have jacket, helmet and gloves) but I am still conflicted on pants and boots. I know ATGATT is the theme around here. But both seem like a PITA as I would have to carry extra clothes, change when I get to work, etc.. I know not a huge deal but again a PITA and the thought makes me less excited to ride. I have also found that I am the most comfortable in my low cut Converses as it is easier to shift, and being a n00b that helps, but they have basically no ankle protection whatsoever. I mean I am not wearing shorts and flip flops here which I see more than I should.. It is a gamble of course but what I have seems like a reasonable balance.. of course until I go down. :/
Depending on what you can wear at work (I can wear jeans) I just wear my riding pants at work and they're perfectly comfortable. You can't even tell they're riding jeans, I bought one extra pair of shoes to keep at work and put those on when I ride in. The shoes always stay in the cube, dedicated work pair.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks... I am going to be smart about this and just invest into some pants and boots.. The inconvenience is minor for the piece of mind. And at my job I can wear jeans so if the jeans are comfy I would not even have to change.. same applies to boots.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Boots I would definitely have an extra pair of shoes on hand (they get uncomfortable in some cases) - but my jeans are awesome and just as comfortable as normal jeans if you get some decent ones you should be ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks... I am going to be smart about this and just invest into some pants and boots.. The inconvenience is minor for the piece of mind. And at my job I can wear jeans so if the jeans are comfy I would not even have to change.. same applies to boots.
knox jeans are going for $100 closeout right now and they may still have your size.

For those that need business casuals, there is also the revit chino in khakis that could be undercover business casuals if needed haha.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
27 Posts
We're about the same size. For leather jackets I wear a 38.. Not overly tight or loose. For textile i have a dainese 36 that fits me like a glove.

By the way, how do you like your AGV pants? Whats your waist size? I"m usually a 30, but are you a 30 too and does the 32 fit you better?
I must have broader shoulders as a US 38 Leather (48 EUR) in my Alpinestars Jaws was pretty tough to get in and out of. EUR 50 felt snug enough off the rack and I haven't broken it in enough to tell you if it's gotten too loose. Time will tell.

The AGV Willow pants are AWESOME! For the price/quality, it's a great value in my opinion. It comes with the CE I knee and shin guards and pucks which many other brands don't include as standard. I feel pretty comfortable in them without feeling too constricted. I have enough flexibility and range of motion to get comfortably on/off my bike. I normally wear 30/30 jeans and the 30s fit fantastic for me except for my calf muscles when I try to zip the pants all the way down.

I had initially bought 32's on the advice of gear geeks as I was told the brand notoriously fits smaller. Wrong advice. I had a lot of extra room on the waistline, which led to the pant legs sagging, which led to the knee pads not aligning properly. Once I exchanged to my 30s, I felt more comfortable in them as it fits more snug (as it should be), and everything lines up better to tuck into my boots. I just hope the calf area stretches a bit with time.

I would suggest you take advantage of our shitty dollar and buy from a Canadian online retailer. Good luck! :D

AGV Sport Willow Pants

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have the AGV sport willow leather pants. I bought them about 5 years ago for $180.
I see they are now $219 at Revzilla. $279 at fortnine!
They are a good value. Decent price, leather protection. Good quality.
I usually ride in kevlar jeans, so I don't wear them that often. I have a 32 waist,
and the 32 fits me fine. If you want leather pants, and you don't want to spend $400 or more
from the top-tier brands, the AGV pants get the job done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Helmet: AGV K3 SV Rossi
Jacket: RST Pro IV Ventilator [elbow, chest, and back armour]
Pants: Draggin Rebel Jeans [7.5 second rating] with Knee and hip armour.
Boots : BMW Motorrad Allrounder
Gloves: Dririder Adventure 2

have difficulties with the boots and gear lever on R3 but will persevere a little longer before I actually adjust the lever.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Helmet: AGV K3 SV Rossi
Jacket: RST Pro IV Ventilator [elbow, chest, and back armour]
Pants: Draggin Rebel Jeans [7.5 second rating] with Knee and hip armour.
Boots : BMW Motorrad Allrounder
Gloves: Dririder Adventure 2

have difficulties with the boots and gear lever on R3 but will persevere a little longer before I actually adjust the lever.
What difficulties are you having? Just not used to boots, not used to those specific boots, not used to them because they are new? If the lever is too far up or down, obviously start adjusting but I think the stock configuration should fit most people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
5'8", 130lbs., Athletic build
Helmet: Speed and Strength - The Quick and The Dead. Size Medium
Jacket: Speed and Strength - Lightspeed armored jacket. Size Small, fits perfectly
Gloves: Fox Racing - Dirtpaw. Size Medium
Pants: AGV Sport Solare vented armored pants. Size medium, should've gotten a small, these run pretty big.
Shoes: Alpinestar Faster vented shoes. Size 10
Also, I absolutely LOVE my jacket and helmet.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
What difficulties are you having? Just not used to boots, not used to those specific boots, not used to them because they are new? If the lever is too far up or down, obviously start adjusting but I think the stock configuration should fit most people.
I've been riding in shoes so just getting used to the bulk of wearing a boot. It's getting easier with every ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got an R3 as my first bike and here's what I got for gear!

Shoei Neotec Modular helmet in Matte Black
Dainese Assen Perforated Leather Jacket with Manis D1 G Back Protector Insert
Rev'it Canyon Gloves
Icon Anthem Deployed Gloves (lighter gloves)
Bilt Iron Workers reinforced Jeans
TCX X-Square Plus Boots

I've also got some Rev'It Tornado 2 pants and Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 pants coming this weekn from Revzilla. Not sure which pair of overpants I'll be keeping.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I got an R3 as my first bike and here's what I got for gear!

Shoei Neotec Modular helmet in Matte Black
Dainese Assen Perforated Leather Jacket with Manis D1 G Back Protector Insert
Rev'it Canyon Gloves
Icon Anthem Deployed Gloves (lighter gloves)
Bilt Iron Workers reinforced Jeans
TCX X-Square Plus Boots

I've also got some Rev'It Tornado 2 pants and Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 pants coming this weekn from Revzilla. Not sure which pair of overpants I'll be keeping.
I have those Bilt pants! They work! Overpants suck. I have some icon overpants and they just get blazing hot. Only time I would ever wear them again is probably winter. I have them Knox pants mentioned above coming in from STG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have those Bilt pants! They work! Overpants suck. I have some icon overpants and they just get blazing hot. Only time I would ever wear them again is probably winter. I have them Knox pants mentioned above coming in from STG.
I need something to go over slacks for the day's I have meetings...I'm hoping to use the r3 for a commuting when the weather's good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 62 Posts