Yamaha R3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Backpack bro. But dont take my word for it, it's gonna get blazing hot.
I bought these overpants

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-tornado-2-pants

and have been riding without the liner for the last few days. These definitely flow more air and keep me cooler than the Bilt riding jeans. I'm going to be wearing these all the time!

They're pricey, but I'm glad I can throw the liner back in and where them when it starts to rain and get colder. I'm thinking of picking up the matching jacket in Hi-viz for the winter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Helmet: Arai Quantum-J
Jacket 1 (Summer 30+ Celsius heat): Komine Mesh CE approved class 1 [elbow, chest, and back armour]
Jacket 2 (Winter/Spring): Alpinestars Air T-Jaws CE approved class 1 [elbow, chest, and back armour]
Pants: Komine Kevlar Jeans with CE approved class 1 [knee and hip armour].
Boots : Alpinestars SMX 6 leather
Gloves: Komine Smart Tips

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recently bought a new helmet and jacket. Joe Rocket Velocity mesh jacket is super light weight. I've never had a jacket this light before. Those who feel that protection is important will probably not like it. But I prefer the lack of weight and bulk. It's got armor, and that's good enough for me. And the helmet, I got a Scorpion EXO-R410 Split from Dennis Kirk at a clearance price of $60usd. It's matte black with orange trim. I really like it. It has SNELL 2010 rating, quick release cheek pads for emergency personnel, and anti fog coating on shield. It's comfortable and has plush materials inside that feels good to the touch. It also has a position on the shield lock to allow it to be cracked open for more airflow. But the opening is so small it really does not make a difference below 30mph.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/joe-rocket-velocity-mesh-jacket

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/62295/i/scorpion-exo-r410-split-helmet

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'll share as well, here's my gear buildout.

Helmet: HJC RPHA 11
Jacket: Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Airflow Jacket | summer jacket: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Pants: Klim K Fifty 1 Jeans
Gloves: Alpinestars Apex Drystar Gloves | summer gloves: Alpinestars SP-2 Gloves
Boots/Shoes: Alpinestars SMX-1 R Vented Boots
Back-Pack: Northface Iron Peak backpack
Other: Blitz Freeze Out gear (long sleeve, long pants, jacket, glove liners, boot liners, and balaclava)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's mine.

Helmet: Shoei RF1200 with anti-fog insert and alternate dark smoke visor.
Jacket: Fly Racing Terra Trek II Hi-Viz
Pants: Fly Racing Butane Overpants (recently replaced with some Xtreemgear leather pants with hip/knee armor).
Gloves: AXO Pro Race XT Leather Gloves
Boots: Alpinestar Faster Boots
Backpack: Swissgear (dunno model but it's fairly big and can hold a laptop)
Layers: Freeze Out long-sleeve and balaclava
Camera: GoPro Hero3 (half the time I swear I forget to turn it on/charge it though)

I also have heated grips on the bike which helps a ton in the winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Helmet: Shoei RF-1200 Marquez Black Ant
Jacket: Leather: Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Airflow Jacket | Mesh: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Pants: Dainese Strokeville Jeans
Gloves: Alpinestars SP-Air Gloves
Boots/Shoes: Casual: Sidi Gas | Aggressive: Alpinestars SMX-6 R Vented Boots

·
Registered
11 Posts
Helmet: AGV K3 SV Guy Martin Britten
Jacket: Leather- Alpinestars GP Plus R V2 Airflow. Textile- RST Tractech Evo 2 Mesh- Bilt Grid Mesh
Pants: Jeans- Bull-it SR6 Leather- Bilt Spirit
Gloves: Alpinestars SM-X 2 Air Carbon v2, Alpinestars Celer.
Boots: Alpinestars SM-X 1 R vented boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Question for those with the Alpinestars GP Plus R V2 Airflow:

Does this still keep you warm in the winter if you wear a base layer?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Question for those with the Alpinestars GP Plus R V2 Airflow:

Does this still keep you warm in the winter if you wear a base layer?
I have this jacket but I'm still looking to upgrade or pick up a more winter style jacket for the next winter riding season. It did get me through the recent winter (temps as low as 40F) but I was layered up significantly.

The jacket being perforated flows air well considering its leather makeup but can be extremely chilly when its cold out. Currently, it's warming up a little so I wear a base layer with a light windbreaker underneath the leather jacket and its been working out well so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Since switching from the R3 to the Triumph, my gear has changed a bit.

Switched from an A* to a Merlin jacket and from a Scorpion helmet to a Nexx XG-100
Also now sporting Triumph Lothian gloves and A* Oscar Twin Drystar boots
Still have the Knox jeans though... those are awesome and I have no plans on dumping them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Helmet: Shoei RF-1200 Marquez Black Ant
Jacket: Leather: Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Airflow Jacket | Mesh: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Pants: Dainese Strokeville Jeans
Gloves: Alpinestars SP-Air Gloves
Boots/Shoes: Casual: Sidi Gas | Aggressive: Alpinestars SMX-6 R Vented Boots
Got rid of the textile and decided to just go with one leather jacket. Traded in the Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Airflow for the Alpinestars Core Airflow. Core airflow has a nice thermal lining for the winter (if it ever gets cold enough in so cal :))

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Got rid of the textile and decided to just go with one leather jacket. Traded in the Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Airflow for the Alpinestars Core Airflow. Core airflow has a nice thermal lining for the winter (if it ever gets cold enough in so cal :))
I pretty much wore leathers year round in SoCal(sandy eggo). Summer gets bad but road rash is probably worse than sweat.

If you do canyon runs, it actually does get cold in SoCal. Mt. Laguna is an example. Julian gets snow as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Helmet : Shark Spartan Matte Black

Jacket : Alpinestars GP Plus R (V2) in leather and Dainese Avro D2 in textile both with back protectors

Gloves : Alpinestars Celer (V2) in leather for summer and Bering Moya in leather/Gore-Tex

Reinforced jeans : Bering Donovan

Shoes : Alpinestars Faster 2 Vented

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've always used Bates gear, a two piece race suit, have a pair of Terminator pants, an ancient pair of winter gloves from 1982, and a brand new pair of Sport Racer Fast Lane boots. I also have a pair of Helimot gloves, Arai full face, Kumbuto open face.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 62 Posts