Yamaha R3 Forums banner

281 - 298 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, at the moment I've got an SX-100 (Nexx), but it's pretty worn, so I plan on replacing it. Feel like a new bike is a good reason to get a new helmet J

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Just replaced my starter helmet (Bell Qualifier) with a Shoei RF-1200
Congrats on the Shoei. But the Bell Qualifier is a well made, safe helmet. For me to call the Bell a "Starter helmet" would be like me recalling memories of my "Starter Wife" who I met when I worked at 'McDonalds' slinging burgers. She did a really nice job, but I'm able to afford more now. So on to my "Trophy Wife". >:D Just saying!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on the Shoei. But the Bell Qualifier is a well made, safe helmet. For me to call the Bell a "Starter helmet" would be like me recalling memories of my "Starter Wife" who I met when I worked at 'McDonalds' slinging burgers. She did a really nice job, but I'm able to afford more now. So on to my "Trophy Wife". >:D Just saying!
While I love the analogy I didn't mean it like that. The Bell is a great helmet for the price I agree. I picked mine up as a budget friendly helmet to use to take the MSF class a while back and have no regrets about buying it. It didn't fit me perfectly though and I began to feel that the helmet was to loose on my head and wanted to get something that fit properly. I actually went into the store planning to get an ICON but after trying on some helmets the Shoei won out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Shoei RF1200 is a perfect fit (oval intermediate) for me and really like it. Went with the Recounter being the graphics style is me. Really impressed with the transitions shield, it will darken to total black or get lighter in seconds. One of the better investments made.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
While I love the analogy I didn't mean it like that. The Bell is a great helmet for the price I agree. I picked mine up as a budget friendly helmet to use to take the MSF class a while back and have no regrets about buying it. It didn't fit me perfectly though and I began to feel that the helmet was to loose on my head and wanted to get something that fit properly. I actually went into the store planning to get an ICON but after trying on some helmets the Shoei won out.
I was only teasing. I've never heard anything bad concerning fit or quality from Shoei owners. Part of the enjoyment of riding is acquiring and making the habit of wearing safety gear. Why not purchase the best fit and style you can afford. If I were to gift a helmet to my daughter, son, or grandson, it would most likely be a Shoei. I've just never been able to justify the expense on myself, when a cheaper alternative is available. I'm certainly not getting any younger. Maybe next time, I'll splurge on myself. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a Sheoi but I used to own a Vega. World of difference. Shoei RF-1200 Valkyrie with a Blue Mirror visor. Love this thing, safe and quiet, and easy to clean. Only complaint is the peripheral view is diminished. Also the blue mirror visor scratches easily, I would consider the transitional one next time even though they are expensive; it's a good 5 year investment. The anti-fog pin-lock is nice on the clear, does the job really well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Upgraded to a Shoei RF-1200 over my old AGV K3. The difference is massive. The Shoei is on another level completely. The fit is way better, the aerodynamics are far better, has way more features, it’s still pretty noisy, but earplugs sorts that out. Can’t see me moving away from Shoei helmets after being so impressed with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are some of my most recent lids. I've been riding for over a decade now and have used some expensive pieces but have learned that you get what you pay for. I've always loved the shape and fit of the Arai Corsairs but wanted to try something new so tried out a couple AGVs (K3 and K1). K3 has the built in sun visor and they were both pretty cheap...quality AGV but made in China. They fit me good and are nice but scored a great deal on a Shoei X-14 and THAT is my favorite right now. The X14 feels sooo stable and comfortable and oozes quality like the Arai.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the HJC FG-17 Toba. The black with a lot of high viz markings all over it. Spend the last two days wearing it for my MSF course, while riding I pretty much forgot I had a helmet on. My head kind of hurts after wearing it all day, but I would attribute that to not being used to wearing a helmet at all let alone for hours and hours and it not being broke in yet.

I originally bought a Bilt helmet for $79.99, but I wanted something Snell rated and something with hi viz, so I went with the HJC.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
I curently cannot afford really great helmets like your two.
I would love a lighter carbon helmet at some point.
There's lots of good reasonably priced helmets on the market. I can't afford some of these beauties either. So, I settle for a good quality helmet I can. I've a few links below for you to look over if you care to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first was a Bell Qualifier too. The worst thing about it is the visor mechanics. The visor pops up by itself in highway speed turning my head to check blind spot, which was scary as ****. If i ride with the visor up, up to 45 mph, the visor actually comes off in one side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my Shoei RF1200 Variable. Light, comfortable, relatively quiet and a bunch of air flow vents. SNELL and DOT, so I can use it for track days if I get the nerve up.

281 - 298 of 298 Posts