Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And does it really need to be there?What is the purpose of it?Because of the type of swingarm lift that I have it just gets in the way.I will be removing the rear wheel to have a new tire installed and am hoping to just remove the ring from the rear sprocket at the same time?Has anyone just removed this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
crazy ring

I would like to know why the ring on the sprocket and how much does ring weigh??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I pulled mine off the day I picked up the R3 and put it straight in the bin
Thank you for the reply.Wish I knew why Yamaha put it there.Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That ring weighs nothing. It's a safety feature in case the chain jumps off the sprocket, the chain won't get caught between the wheel and the swingarm.
You CAN remove it if you want to, but if your chain jumps off the sprocket, it could get caught which would cause the engine to stall and the rear wheel to lock-up.
The ring is purely a safety feature. I left mine on. It doesn't hurt to leave it on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That ring weighs nothing. It's a safety feature in case the chain jumps off the sprocket, the chain won't get caught between the wheel and the swingarm.
You CAN remove it if you want to, but if your chain jumps off the sprocket, it could get caught which would cause the engine to stall and the rear wheel to lock-up.
The ring is purely a safety feature. I left mine on. It doesn't hurt to leave it on.
Makes sense,thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
crazy ring

thanks CBR Pilot. got the info:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
You forgot to mention that it makes the rear sprocket look beefier and cool.
None of the bikes have it.(at least the one's I've seen)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I am pretty sure I seen that same ring on another Yamaha bike at the dealership. It might have been the FZ-07 or FZ-09.
I don't remember. It was over a year ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts