Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't clean them in any way that involves physically touching them. The fins are very fragile.

If you must clean them, spray the radiator with some sort of aluminum-safe household cleaning solvent (Mr Clean, Pine-Sol, Castrol Superclean, etc) then aim the garden hose at the radiator under low pressure only.

A radiator-guard, even if home-made, can save your bacon ... and reduce the amount of crap that builds up on the radiator itself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't clean them in any way that involves physically touching them. The fins are very fragile.

If you must clean them, spray the radiator with some sort of aluminum-safe household cleaning solvent (Mr Clean, Pine-Sol, Castrol Superclean, etc) then aim the garden hose at the radiator under low pressure only.

A radiator-guard, even if home-made, can save your bacon ... and reduce the amount of crap that builds up on the radiator itself.
Dang dood. I gently touched them with balled up tshirt. Dont think i bent any but some are bent.(shown in pic). Can damaged fins be repaired or should i get new radiator?
Ok. I tried the stuff you said. Didnt work. Lightly cleaned it..
That didnt work but i did notice its repulsiveness.
Radiator guards add weight and restrict airflow!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I seriously can't figure you out... Are you a "troll" looking for screen-time???? I enjoy helping all riders out, but you seem like you might be playing a game of sorts.... I really can't imagine anyone having all the mechanical issues you seem to have with one R3? These bikes require very little maintenance, and will easily last 50K+ (even with several years of neglect). You don't seem very happy with your current R3. Maybe consider buying a newer version of the R3. It really is a nice bike. I wish you the best-

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have another motorcycle which currently has 111,000 km on the clock, and I have never done anything to the radiator other than aim the garden hose at it for a few seconds while washing the bike. Nothing else is necessary.

Even if the radiator gets caked with mud due to riding on dirt roads - just aim the hose at it until enough dirt gets rinsed away for airflow to get through.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I seriously can't figure you out... Are you a "troll" looking for screen-time???? I enjoy helping all riders out, but you seem like you might be playing a game of sorts.... I really can't imagine anyone having all the mechanical issues you seem to have with one R3? These bikes require very little maintenance, and will easily last 50K+ (even with several years of neglect). You don't seem very happy with your current R3. Maybe consider buying a newer version of the R3. It really is a nice bike. I wish you the best-
Why are you trying to figure me out? No games my guy. Im as real as it gets. Ive had an older r3 less then a year now. I like the bike and want to learn more about it. I would like a new r3 but cant afford it now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have another motorcycle which currently has 111,000 km on the clock, and I have never done anything to the radiator other than aim the garden hose at it for a few seconds while washing the bike. Nothing else is necessary.

Even if the radiator gets caked with mud due to riding on dirt roads - just aim the hose at it until enough dirt gets rinsed away for airflow to get through.
Ok my dood. I got it good with the water hose today! Saturated it for about ten minutes and went on 80 mile run. She seemed a little cooler.
good job. 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts