Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I saw this asked yet. Given the majority on this site (at least the ones who replied to a poll) are relatively new to motorcycling, I was curious how much love would you be spending on your new ride.

Rounding off, the bike cost at $5K, or perhaps close to $6K OTD; what is a "sane" amount of love?

For me doing some things, I see my wish list got to $2.5K without too much sweat. I rationalize this by thinking I will be keeping this bike in the fold for some time, so improving in areas that will make it more fun to ride make sense to me... although looking at $8.5K makes you wonder what you can also get thats 3 years old...

Jerry

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Not counting consumables such as tire, air and oil filters, frame protection, etc, probably $2000. First would be suspension upgrades which is already around $1200 (with basic rear shock, more with a racing/track oriented shock), then brake components, then maybe aesthetic items. I've spent money on PC/exhausts on other bikes but I might be unwilling to do so on the R3. We will see. I like the note of the bike now, but I also want to hit ~330-40 lbs on it if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I stuck with mods that simply make the bike a little more original in a crowd. I'm not dropping money into "performance upgrades" because when I want more bike, I'll just go and get more bike.
And... never add up the cost of your mods! It's an unspoken but universally understood rule.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
As much as I can spare! lol...which is not enough. I bought my bike for $1300 with fees and all that other bs, and so far the stuff on my "to do" list equals about $4000-$4500. Additionally my "wish list" would include some other upgrades such as some engine parts, lighter wheels, aftermarket rotor, caliper, MC, and some titanium hardware which would probably be another $3000-$3500. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to do all of that anytime soon, so for now I'm starting with the "to do" list and go from there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I stuck with mods that simply make the bike a little more original in a crowd. I'm not dropping money into "performance upgrades" because when I want more bike, I'll just go and get more bike.
And... never add up the cost of your mods! It's an unspoken but universally understood rule.
Yes, a smart answer when the brain is left alone to make decisions. Problem is the bike is good enough to make you want more and the bits to change are not cheap. I'm sure you can take $8.5K and get a heck of a bike...

You have to want the smaller bike to get comfortable with the thought you might drop some serious coin on upgrades. Yes, we are not supposed to add up the tab, but with multiple bikes, you have to do this so you know you can make next months rent.

I guess $2K is the minimum entree fee once you start sliding down the slippery slope.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I wouldn't say I want more bike. I had "more bike" in previous bikes. I just want a better performing lightweight bike, and neither of my previous bikes were light weights.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I set my limit at about $2000 (full exhaust,fuel control,levers,braided brake lines,FE,tail light, flush mounts, rear sets). Even though I got the bike as a gift, I just can't justify any more $$.

And to be honest, the mods listed above are pretty much what I would do / have done to any bike.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I set my limit at about $2000 (full exhaust,fuel control,levers,braided brake lines,FE,tail light, flush mounts, rear sets). Even though I got the bike as a gift, I just can't justify any more $$.

And to be honest, the mods listed above are pretty much what I would do / have done to any bike.
No suspension mods? You know you want it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Although this won't be true for everyone, for me it seems I get it out of my system on each subsequent purchase.

My first bike, unfortunately I made the mistake of tallying how much I spent on aftermarket mods. 4000 USD. Its funny though, recently I removed about 900 dollars of stuff and reverted things back to stock.

The R3, I spent only about 1000.

My third bike, although it is the strongest and most expensive bike, I didn't do much mods on it. About 400.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I figure $1500 or so but I am not trying to make it something it isn't, I am just making it mine and more fun for me to ride. Even when/if I pick up another bike I will keep the R3 so I am not afraid to put money into it because I plan on keeping it. I started riding in 1978 and the R3 is the most fun bike I have owned in all of those years. To give an idea of how long term I like to keep things, I just sold the 1983 Yamaha Virago 500 that was bought in 1986.

Bike mods so far:
Coffman Shorty slip on
Vagabond Fender eliminator
TST flush mount smoked front signals
Frame sliders
Adjustable shorty levers
Back off brake light flasher
Vortex 7 degree clip ons
R6 throttle tube
Reflective rim tape
Blacked out windscreen
Givi ST602 tank bag
Bike Master Billet folding Bar end mirrors
Mirror block off plates
Pro grip tank pad
Nelson rigg tail bag
Rear spools

Ordering Yoshi rearset brackets this week.

I will eventually do:
Tires but not really worried about them since I don't track the bike and use it mostly for my motovlogging channel and commuting

Double bubble windscreen

Stainless lines and better pads

Cortech super 2.0 tailbag and saddle bags for a few upcoming road trips that require more storage.

Rear tire hugger

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
239 Posts
I spent a couple of thousand ($NZ) making my bike my bike. This was both superficial things (carbon fiber fairing bits) and things to make it more usable (alarm, air horn, top box, mirror extenders).

How much more I will spend depends on what happens to the lightweight bike market over the next couple of years - I bought my R3 with the intention of keeping it for four to five years, so I can see myself doing the suspension at some point and possibly even lighter wheels (I'd love the Galespeed wheels but it's hard to justify the cost). However, if somebody were to release a 350 to 400 twin or dare I dream, a nice, light, sporty IL4 400 then I would very seriously consider spending my money on that rather than continued modifications of my R3.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
I spent a couple of thousand ($NZ) making my bike my bike. This was both superficial things (carbon fiber fairing bits) and things to make it more usable (alarm, air horn, top box, mirror extenders).

How much more I will spend depends on what happens to the lightweight bike market over the next couple of years - I bought my R3 with the intention of keeping it for four to five years, so I can see myself doing the suspension at some point and possibly even lighter wheels (I'd love the Galespeed wheels but it's hard to justify the cost). However, if somebody were to release a 350 to 400 twin or dare I dream, a nice, light, sporty IL4 400 then I would very seriously consider spending my money on that rather than continued modifications of my R3.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

^^ This I really love this bike (it's my first) I don't really want to go to a bike that adds 50lbs (600) but would like a little more power. I'm really hoping a nice 400 twin or IL4 (yeah right) will come out, it would be a perfect middle ground for city/twisty fun roads. I've already spent $400 on mods and I've gone through phase one of modding (getting it setup for me). I don't plan on getting rid of the R3 anytime soon unless something around the same weight +-~30lbs with ~50-60hp then it probably would happen rapidly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A small inline 4 would be awesome but so cost prohibitive to build that it probably wouldn't sell in the numbers the manufacturer would need to justify it.

Bike wise it would be amazing but the sticker shock at the dealership would probably scare a lot of people off. Considering not just the cost of the engine, but also all of the associated upgrades such as better brakes, tires, suspension, frame design, etc you would be looking at most likely a $3,000-$3500 price increase over the current R3. While that doesn't sound bad that puts in in no mans land as far as small bike pricing and is then competing with 650's and dangerously close to what you could pick up a leftover 600 for from the previous year.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Forget the wheels, get a custom lightweight swingarm; about half the cost abut greater performance gain... but if its looks you're after, get the wheels.
Lighter wheels would be a much better performance gain. Less rotating mass is always better. A custom swingarm would only benefit more if the geometry was changed completely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lighter wheels would be a much better performance gain. Less rotating mass is always better. A custom swingarm would only benefit more if the geometry was changed completely.
You are right, I forgot about the rotating mass component. That said, how much difference in weight would there be between the wheels; a couple of pounds? The wider the wheel the greater the gain, but the R3 only has 110 and 140 wheels so the rim isn't as wide. Besides a set + other mods would take you well north of $2K in mods; more like $4K. If you track, its an investment in love. For the street rider, i think $1.5 - 2.5 is the top end range most of us will spend.

You can get geometry changes without having to change SA. I thought the better gain was removing mass from the SA as its on the unsprung side. Just upgrading the rear shock to flip the oem shock mounting takes about 6 lbs off the rear suspension. Thats a lot.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ive ridden 600s my whole life but am older so "downgraded" to the R3. Ive gone way past $2k. I dont plan to sell my R3 but might go back to a 600 or something; maybe a Ducati SS, or Triumph D675 but Ive always been a Nippon bike guy not only because Im .5 Japanese. :). Maybe one day Ill have a BMW & Euro bike in he driveway. Nah. Probably a rice burner & rice rocket.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts