Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a bunch of bolt on mods (from TST industries the worx race pack) I saw pretty significant horsepower gains but I want to give it a little bit more so I bought a power commander and decided to upgrade the plugs to the NGK iridium plugs just need to know the proper gap before I can put them in

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I recently put a bunch of bolt on mods (from TST industries the worx race pack) I saw pretty significant horsepower gains but I want to give it a little bit more so I bought a power commander and decided to upgrade the plugs to the NGK iridium plugs just need to know the proper gap before I can put them in
Per the Owner's manual. 0.7 - 0.8 mm / 0.028 - 0.031 in. If you need an owners manual, you can go to Yamaha's website and download a free PDF copy. Just plug in the required information..

·
Registered
145 Posts
DO NOT attempt to gap, or even measure, iridium spark plugs! The fine-wire center electrode is too easily damaged. The intent is that you buy them with the gap correctly set and install them without attempting to change it.

Use CR9EIA-9 or CR9EIX-9 and install them "as supplied". It will be fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
DO NOT attempt to gap, or even measure, iridium spark plugs! The fine-wire center electrode is too easily damaged. The intent is that you buy them with the gap correctly set and install them without attempting to change it.

Use CR9EIA-9 or CR9EIX-9 and install them "as supplied". It will be fine.
You should be checking the gap before installing them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Visual check only on an iridium plug. Do not use a spark plug gauge on them. You risk damaging the fine-wire center electrode.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I looked up NGK's advice. Do I need to set the "gap" when installing a new set of plugs? | NGK Spark Plugs

Take note of these words: "If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium, be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged."

I have never, ever, checked or adjusted the gap on a fine-wire spark plug, nor has any such checking or adjustment ever been warranted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts