Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015, Fender Eliminate, LED Flashers
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tittle ask for it. Well is there something to consider what to wear. My Bike will be use only for 6km work ride and I’m thinking on just wear a normal clothes rather than buying leather textured clothing. I already bought a backpack for my lunch and jacket to wear at night when going back home. But what it should been wearing the others do as a rule of thumb regardless of the distance traveled.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check out this picture of injury probability against different parts of the body. I'd suggest protecting the ones with the highest chance of injury at all times when you are riding. Once I lowsided 100 metres from my house. It's just a matter of time and luck when you fall too so it's better be prepared for it.

On longer trips, when I ride to work I carefully fold chinos/trousers, a shirt and put them both together with office shoes into backpack the way they won't wrinkle on arrival. I have a Kriega backpack which attaches to the bike so I don't need to carry it on me. On arrival I go to the toilet or shower room and change my riding gear to office clothes and in reverse on my way back.

For short trips like yours, I usually wear an office shirt right under my cloth mesh riding jacket and I don't use riding pants. Instead I put on office pants with knee guards on top of them (I know it's not recommend to have knee guards on top but that's better than nothing as they are to bulky to wear underneath). Also, I always wear riding boots and take office shoes with me in the backpack. That makes me reasonably protected for short trips.

That's my personal style.

PS leather is not needed for city riding. It's HUGE overkill. It's good for track or high speed riding to protect from long distance sliding on tarmac.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015, Fender Eliminate, LED Flashers
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Great to know. So like Fabric type jacket will be good and it is necessity for the upper part. I need to shop around for the jacket. I already have a shoes that I want to wear. And for the pants if ever I want to buy what do you recommend. Weather here at night goes 5 celsius and 15 celsius on the day that’s why only a few riders goes out at night.

·
Registered
2018 R3
61 Posts
Nice! Great to know. So like Fabric type jacket will be good and it is necessity for the upper part. I need to shop around for the jacket.
I wear a riding jacket similar to the one on the link below. It is made of fabric and has hard plastic armor in the back, shoulders and elbow to protect those areas in case of a crash. There are lots of used motorcycle jackets like this one for sale and they are cheap. I also wear gloves with protective reinforcement on the knuckles and fingers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Helmet, Gloves, And Full-height boots. That's what ryan f9 said and i can explain to you why. Helmets are legally required depending where you live (I live in NZ and it is required here. besides, brain injury is no fun. gloves, i can personally vouch for them as i had an accident when i was a wee little squid involving the asphalt, some speed and my bare hand. it's no fun. and as for boots? most accident for newer rider happens at low speed, tip-overs. Fortnine made a video on it and i personally experienced it. dropping a chinese adv bike on my achilles with regular work boots. as for jacket and pants, my personal opinion is that they are important but not essential (for your specific scenario). They would be super helpful though. A good pair of riding jeans from a reputable company and a simple mesh jacket, both with CE certification for for impact and abrasion resistance would go a long way for saving your beautiful skin and keeping your subscription to r/neverbrokeabone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For me, it's ATGATT, including my chest and back protector. It doesn't matter if I'm going to a track day or to the mall five minutes drive away from my house.

It also makes for interesting conversations with workmates when I'm getting my armour off in the office after arriving at work.

Personally, I use the time that it takes to get all the gear on as time to get into the mental zone for riding, so it's just part of my preparation for riding, rather than being an inconvenience.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have fallen once with full gear and its not a pleasant way to end a weekend. Had a big rash and several stitches on the left arm due ventilation zipper was open.
Also I have low sided on the grass not on the tarmac.

Here is my arm several hours after emergency room.

Remember this was way worse if you dressed like a squid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts