Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was riding as usual and the engine got shut off automatically. Im thankful to God that i was around the residential area where there aren't many cars around when it happened. So i pull up to the side and try to restart it but it won't. After fiddling with the ingniton key and cut off switch for multiple times it finally got fired up and i rode it home. And later at night i try to start it up and it just won't. The engine cranks but won't start up so i believe the battery is fine. So the dealer came to my house to pick it up for checking and the bike start up perfectly. So the mechanic rode it back to their shop and was riding it for 4 days now and did not experience the problem at all and I couldn't replicate th problem. Note: the screen will turn blank when it happens. Anyone here had experience this? Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Outside of a true problem the only way it can cut off is kill switch or side stand not all the way up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll inform the mechanic to check the ignition harness and power switch connector. It's scary when the engine shuts off by itself unpredictably and the fact that it couldn't start right back up is even worse.

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
OP's problem sounds more serious than the stall at idle. Sounds like he's losing the engine at speed + cluster. Check battery, battery connection tightness, harnesses, wiring.

The difficulty starting after stopping is a separate challenge that some people seem to get real bad (like at gas stations). It's been suggested that removing the charcoal canister may help. Mine seems to start with 1 cough when hot instead of 2-4 now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
honestly it sounds like a your wire being loose somewhere that could def be a problem b your killswitch did the same thing this mourning freaked out then my buddy pointed and it was the **** killswitch c your kickstand in any gear being down will staul the bike or d you have something seriously wrong with our engine over heating and sometimes bikes will cut off due to you high revs past redline not in the breaking in period not sure how long you ve had your bike but if your bike over heats its a safety feature to help your baby survive whatch thos high revs all the time and slipping of the clutch .i just noticed the other day when i rev high i get a puh puh sometimes could need a tune up to my vaulve adjustment it happens to the best of us buddy i hope you figure out whats wrong with your baby i know i would be heart broken if mine did that as well take care ....

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
How do i remove the charcoal canister?
http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/...nd-install-block-off-plates-on-the-yamaha-r3/

As far as I can tell, you can skip a lot of that how-to. Just unplug the one line from the canister (the non-central one) that goes to the throttle body, pinch and zip-tie it closed / plug it somehow. Of course that leaves all the hardware on the bike (versus some weight savings). I wound up raising idle on my bike to stop it from stalling.

Same with the air injection. I think you can just unplug the electrical connection from the pump, and you're done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts