Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Counting down the days till I get my leg over my Matte Black '17 R3. It's my first brand new bike, as well as my first sports bike (previous bikes were dual sports so a bit of dirt was a point of pride).

Besides drooling over mods and accessories, I've been thinking about how I'm going to attempt to maintain that newness as long as possible as well as best practice regarding cleanliness and maintenance. While it's going to be a daily commuter, so no after every ride level of clean and it will see the rain. It will get a weekly, fortnightly, monthly cleaning weather dependant.

Curious as to others cleaning regimes. Suggestions of products you use would be good to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Once a week wash with water and soap, then lube the chain after wash, wax maybe about once every 4 to 6 weeks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I look at mine and think "yeah it could do with a wash" but then think "meh, it supposed to rain soon, I wont bother". The joys of commuting by bike in the UK!

I tend to give it a quick wipe over once a week or so with polish and something like GT85 on the metal parts but ive yet to give it a proper water wash. I use multi-surface polish (like Pledge/Mr Sheen) for the bodywork - its what the dealer uses on all their bikes so its good enough for me. Chain gets lubed every month or so.

I'm a rider, not a cleaner! Plus, the silver matte paint doesn't shine like normal paint when clean so... it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Sorry but with 2 kids, a wife, 2 bikes and a house - there's more than enough maintenance between them to keep me busy :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a waterless wash spray and some microfiber cloths to keep my R3 clean. Perfect for a quick clean and you don't have to worry about water spots.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rain. I think the dealer rinsed it once when I had it in for recall, but I have never washed it in the year I've owned it. I have done some spot wiping, but only to apply a sticker. I clean the chain though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also use a waterless wash spray with microfibre cloths, because I live in a high rise and don't have access to a hose. It does the job for me. Don't use any products with a polish on your matte finish if you want to keep it looking matte. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
good idea about the waterless wash spray... will need to check out if I can find it in my country....

now that you are talking about black mate,.... is there an special need to take care of that finish?? also, what about the seats? how are you protecting it from the sun?

·
Registered
42 Posts
good idea about the waterless wash spray... will need to check out if I can find it in my country....

now that you are talking about black mate,.... is there an special need to take care of that finish?? also, what about the seats? how are you protecting it from the sun?
Just make sure you don't use anything with a polish or wax on any matte areas. I am currently not using anything to protect the seat, but I would use any kind of interior car protectant that one would use on their dashboard that protects against cracking and fading, such as Armor All for example.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just make sure you don't use anything with a polish or wax on any matte areas. I am currently not using anything to protect the seat, but I would use any kind of interior car protectant that one would use on their dashboard that protects against cracking and fading, such as Armor All for example.
Oh... that wil be an issue... there is only like 3 plastic bright parts and everything else is matte.... LoL...

thanks! thats a good advice... will start reading the product descriptions....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some good tips guys. What brand waterless wash do you use? No shortage of water here but sounds like it could be tidier than the old hose down, sud, rinse method.

What about the screen? I hear they scratch easy, along with the dash panel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since getting my R3 I have only used the following

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner

This stuff is awesome! Spray it on and hose it off. Dry off the bike using some microfiber totals. Does a great job remove road grime and bugs off the bike.

Tirox Plastix

I use this stuff once a month. I apply to one fairing at a time and buff off with a microfiber towel (make sure to have a lot of microfiber towels).

Cheers,

·
Registered
228 Posts
If anybody is planning on waxing their bike's and especially the matte plastic sections, I highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, it does not leave white residue on matte plastics such as bumpers/trim as I've used this on my cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts