Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys get it down to a science yet? I've just been doing clutch up wheelies in 1st, trying to get up to BP and roll it out instead of chasing it out. Have been practicing here and there, not really making it a focus, but very fun to do. And yes, I'm squidding... lol.

Would love to see your guys' videos too. Post 'em up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any mods? Stock tires, suspension, etc

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any mods? Stock tires, suspension, etc
All stock, tires were a little worn. When I changed them up, bike came up much easier/quicker.

Man, I want to learn how to do wheelies. What is your technique now? 1st gear? RPMs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st gear - ride it out about 10-15mph, clutch in and quick pull of the throttle, pop the clutch and it'll come up.

I started practicing with small wheelies. As you go along, you'll start opening the throttle up some more, and it'll go higher and higher. You're pretty much practicing so your body gets used to the front coming up and you won't panic when it does.

At first, I'd bring it up, but immediately let go of the throttle, front would drop a bit hard. After a few runs, you start getting used to throttle feel and making the landing softer.

That's about all I got for now haha. I'm still a noob.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have it down to a science, but I can clutch up a wheelie in first with some consistency. Got one up near the balance point for the first time a few days ago. It's pretty scary the first time lol.

You're way better at it them me though. Looks cool except for the outfit. That looks douchey.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All stock, tires were a little worn. When I changed them up, bike came up much easier/quicker.

1st gear - ride it out about 10-15mph, clutch in and quick pull of the throttle, pop the clutch and it'll come up.

I started practicing with small wheelies. As you go along, you'll start opening the throttle up some more, and it'll go higher and higher. You're pretty much practicing so your body gets used to the front coming up and you won't panic when it does.

At first, I'd bring it up, but immediately let go of the throttle, front would drop a bit hard. After a few runs, you start getting used to throttle feel and making the landing softer.

That's about all I got for now haha. I'm still a noob.

Thanks man, keep me posted as you learn, love to see more vids too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
This is a video from one of my friends that I made this year racing the R3 cup-
https://youtu.be/o-4BnhMiNf8

Very entertaining but not something to emulate lol
Yikes!
For those of you who want to fast forward to the good parts, go right to the 5:50 mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for this, pretty informing and helps me know that YES they can be done. I used to ride much larger bikes than my R3 and I would just do power wheelies...never was too comfortable with clutch wheelies outside of a dirtbike (too expensive to fix if something goes wrong haha).

So that leads to my question:
What kind of damage do you think could instill on the clutch/crankshaft/driveshaft/gears from doing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not too sure on the damage, but it has taken some good abuse. I'm 15K miles deep, have been doing wheelies at least twice a day, every day for the past..2 months or so lol. I haven't noticed any issues, and I also haven't done the recall.

Take that with a grain of salt though, for all I know something might break tomorrow lol. :knockonwood:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts