Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, got myself a new first bike, just did a first oil change after 1k. Was wondering when do you change an oil ? I know its apx every 4k but what if I did not do 4k, do I change it before the winter or after ? or dont worry about the winter and change it every 4k.

ALso any good guide for me how to change oil myself ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. That's an awesome looking bike, I like the matte black. Did your dealer provide you with an Owners Manual? If not, go back and get one. If you have it, take a few hours to read through it and get more familiar with the bike. I promise it'll be worth the effort. The recommended maintenance schedule and "how to change oil and filter" are in the owners manual, as well. You can get all sorts of opinions otherwise, but the suggested maintenance schedule is tried and true. You will not go wrong by following Yamaha's guidelines. Ride Safe and Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
when the oil light starts blinking or every 3k miles
AND... that's assuming the oil change indicator was reset properly after the last oil change...Per the Owners Manual! :laugh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the yamaha r3 thier is an oil light that will come on every 3000 miles
You can YOUTUBE on how to get the oil light to turn off after you change the oil
As far as winterizing your bike...change the oil before you store your bike for the winter and when its time to ride again assuming your bike has been sitting for 3 months just change the oil again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plenty of YouTube videos on changing your oil, really easy but I would recommend getting the Yamaha oil filter not a knockoff. I would not store my bike over the winter with used oil. So regardless how many miles I put on it I change it before storage. Top off your gas tank, add stabilizer, hook up a trickle charger o the battery and cover it. also don't forget about checking the owners manual about changing the antifreeze. A lot of bike owners forget these bikes are not air cooled.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you guys changing the oil filter with the oil every 3k?
And the drain plug washer. OEM Filter or K&N works good but don't bother with the Yamaha washer... Pick up a pack of M12 x 20mm in aluminum or copper and you'll be better off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts