Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I am a new biker and have limited down my options to one of two choices:

2016 Yamaha R3 - $4365

-3000km / 1864 miles Mileage
-1 month warranty
-Aftermarket R1 exhaust pipe
-new tires, no damage
-ABS

2014 Ninja 300 - $3600
-9500km / 5900 miles Mileage
-3 months warranty
-new tires, no damage

All prices are After tax and after all fees including registration, full tank etc.

I will be using the bike for over a year mainly for short commutes daily to work. I'm currently leaning towards the R3 because of ABS and lower mileage but I am up for any advice, Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
If you plan on keeping it long term, go for the one you like the most. That's most likely the R3.
If you are not 100% sure and plan on doing what most of us have done (or do eventually) and upgrade to a bigger bike, get the Ninja. You'll save money that can be put toward other things, or save it for when you plan on upgrading.

For short commutes, you'll notice little difference between the two bikes. It's the longer rides when you can really rip into it where the R3 begins to shine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The peace of mind as a commuter is probably worth the 700 bucks for abs,especially if you plan on riding in the rain/crappy conditions. For your intended purpose, you won't notice any real performance differences other than ergonomics. Sit on both, rock them back and forth, see how they feel.

Either bike will have plenty of resale value, as there are always beginners wanting to buy a used bike. Abs on the r3 may pull a slight premium, but not enough to justify purchasing for that alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys~

I will probably go with the R3, ABS will probably help me so much because i'm a beginner, I also prefer the color of the R3 as I feel green is a bit too shiny lol.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys~

I will probably go with the R3, ABS will probably help me so much because i'm a beginner, I also prefer the color of the R3 as I feel green is a bit too shiny lol.
Hopefully the abs never helps you. Hope it never gets to the point where it has to kick in. Hopefully you get some actual rider coaching from a professional organization and learning proper riding techniques is what prevents/saves you from bad situations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was thinking that maybe getting a brand new R3 at this moment maybe is not a good idea... with the change in the look of the R6, in a couple of months there will be an upgrade in the R3.. so previous version will be at lower price....

After almost a month of having my bike, the R3 is a great bike for me as this is my first bike ever... but now i have those tickles that i would like a 600cc, but i am not ready....

oh.. the ABS is not a big deal breaker with a 300cc bike....

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
This is an R3 forum, of course the R3 is a better choice. All joking aside, This really is an enjoyable bike to ride. After 34 years of owning and riding a 1983 r80rt BMW, I wanted to upgrade performance, and loose about 100 lbs of weight at the same time. This bike has allowed me to do that. As soon as my 600 mile service was completed I took a 650 mile ride to visit a friend in Virginia. Mostly interstate miles, lots of mountains. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the bike performed and the comfort during the ride. I know I've been riding a much older bike, with all of it's flaws and quirks, but I am really happy with my R3. And, at 63 years aged, I doubt I'll be upgrading to a larger bike any time soon. Which ever decision you make, just ride, enjoy, and Be Safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts