Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need to buy a front triple tree stand, and I see vortex makes one for $110, but then I saw pitbull has a fancy hybrid stand that can lift by head or forks. My question is do you really ever need to lift by the forks? What's the point?

I'd really prefer not to shell out an extra $140 if I don't need to.

Vortex:
Bicycle part Font Fashion accessory Metal Titanium

Pitbull:
Organism Rectangle Font Line Wood

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been there with the cheap stands.
The Pitbull will last several lifetimes and hold its value if you decide to sell.

Reactions: enshiu and sLing

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ordered the PB hybrid stand yesterday. You made the decision easy 👍
I have PB stands front and rear. They live in a covered but semi-open temporary shed along with the moto. Despite being expose to multiple seasons of cold/hot and whatever moisture makes its way under the edges of the shed, they have held up like rock stars. No corrosion, no warping and everything still moves the same as the day I bought them. And they are super sturdy. Additionally, I can swap out the pin on the front stand to work with the wife's CB300F for routine maintenance. Great product and worth the investment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really hate that video. You are never going to crush the stands as he did.
That's not how the motorcycle stand geometry works.
I'm using harbor freight rear stands and trackside front fork stands for several years now without issue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I really hate that video. You are never going to crush the stands as he did.
That's not how the motorcycle stand geometry works.
I'm using harbor freight rear stands and trackside front fork stands for several years now without issue.
Might not matter much for a light bike like an R3 but with heavier bikes I'd rather not risk it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I used my stands on all my previous bikes. Heaviest was Ducati monster.

But you have the best stand out there now, so that's good.
I like T Rex racing stands. I think it's better than pitbull with lower cost.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The cheaper stands are not garbage. But if I'm spending thousands on a motorcycle that I love I'm gonna gladly buy a good heavy duty stand for $50-$75 over the lesser stand. No problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The dude in the video also hawks the Vortex as a good budget stand. I have the Vortex front lift and a Black Widow at the rear that I have had around for 12 years. They do fine on a <400 pound bike. The PB products are great, as are Woodcraft, but for the occasional use for maintenance and storage in a garage, they are overkill on the R3. BTW, never sit on a bike on the stands, it is asking for trouble. The rear spools are hung from 8mm bolts, which, regardless of the stand, not going to survive a lot of load. The front lift uses cantilevered geometry hanging from a butt weld... not the greatest for strength under heavy loading. If your intent is to sit on the bike on a stand, then you need the best strands, and something more robust at the rear than two small bolts in cantilevered shear. There are better attachments for the rear from PB and WC to look at. Otherwise, for the R3, an economy low end stand is not good enough, a "good" quality stand will do just fine, Better is great for bragging rights, and Best is overkill IMHO. If you have a tank like a Harley, you need a fork lift or the best strands available.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
On a side note, when removing or inserting the front stand always keep an eye on the pin until it's either fully inserted or removed. When fidgeting with the front stand to get it in our out, it's easy to start bumping into the radiator.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The dude in the video also hawks the Vortex as a good budget stand. I have the Vortex front lift and a Black Widow at the rear that I have had around for 12 years. They do fine on a <400 pound bike. The PB products are great, as are Woodcraft, but for the occasional use for maintenance and storage in a garage, they are overkill on the R3. BTW, never sit on a bike on the stands, it is asking for trouble. The rear spools are hung from 8mm bolts, which, regardless of the stand, not going to survive a lot of load. The front lift uses cantilevered geometry hanging from a butt weld... not the greatest for strength under heavy loading. If your intent is to sit on the bike on a stand, then you need the best strands, and something more robust at the rear than two small bolts in cantilevered shear. There are better attachments for the rear from PB and WC to look at. Otherwise, for the R3, an economy low end stand is not good enough, a "good" quality stand will do just fine, Better is great for bragging rights, and Best is overkill IMHO. If you have a tank like a Harley, you need a fork lift or the best strands available.
I agree 100%..... I started out with the "cheap" stands. I have since gone to Woodcraft & PitBull for all bikes "in the stable"- (the garage). That being said, I know it's over-kill on the R3.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I went with a Woodcraft front stand and a Pitbull single sided for the rear. Is it overkill for our little R3's? Perhaps, but when both wheels are up I know the bike isn't going anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts