Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m very new to riding, just received my M2 which allows me to start practicing on roads and highways. I’m loving it so far!

Just a quick question on positioning when turning left. On a 2 lane highway, when turning left, do most of you ride in the left tire track before turning? Or do you ride in the center to block cars from passing you before you make the turn?

I’ve noticed that even though it’s a single lane cars will try and pass you on the right to keep going, which I do too while driving in my car, so I’m wondering if this is a blocking scenario or not. I mean I don’t want cars to run into me while blocking, but I also don’t want cars taking the lane and risking them hitting me that way.

I hope I explained this properly, I would like to hear how others handle this.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you don't want to get hit, make yourself as small as possible and as easily passable as possible. If the driver isn't paying attention, you don't want to be in the middle of the lane and have them turn you into a road crayon. Hug the yellow line so they can get past you easily. Also, if you hug the yellow line and the driver isn't paying attention, they can easily swerve a bit to the right at the last second to avoid you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Or do you ride in the center to block cars from passing you before you make the turn?
Just a reminder, every vehicle that you see has the engine in the center, so the center of the road is where you'll find everyone's coolant leaks, engine oil leaks, transmission fluid leaks, etc. I try to avoid the center of the road as much as possible.
To Renboy's point, if you stay to the left, car drivers will appreciate it and it's easier to pass. If you stay in the center, you won't block anyone, just make it harder to pass you and pisses off the other drivers. They also have less room to pass you and increases the likelihood of a tap or rubbing. Or road rage. You've already made the choice to ride a vehicle that makes you more vulnerable on the road, don't piss off the a$$holes in the 2-ton vehicles, you will always lose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all, I appreciate your responses. My instincts also told me to hug the yellow line and let others pass on the right. I’m still putting in what I learned about blocking your position and felt I lost that when cars just went ahead and went around me. But this might be fine for that scenario.

Lots to learn still 😀

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha R3
165 Posts
Blocking your position? This is a different philosophy than what is taught by MSF. Per MSF, you should generally position yourself in the lane to see as far ahead of you as possible and/or be as visible to other roadway users. This means lane position depends on how the road twists/turns as well as what other vehicles or other obstacles may be present. For example, if I'm cruising down a straight stretch of highway and have a large truck in front of me, I will usually position myself in the left portion of the lane. This allows me to see around the truck and observe either oncoming traffic or vehicles positioned in the lanes ahead of us. It also makes me more visible to same. In contrast, being in the right portion of the lane only allows me to see up the shoulder and vehicles directly in front of the truck. And oncoming drivers likely will be unable to see me until it's too late.

This is another reason why you are generally encouraged to go outside->inside->outside through a turn. Yes, it decreases turn radius and allows you to carry more speed into a corner. The main benefit, however, is that by entering the corner wide, you are able to see deeper into the corner while increasing your chances of being seen by other drivers. "Blocking" seems like a great way to annoy cagers and possibly incite a bit of road rage. Not ideal when there's a 3,000lb difference between vehicles.

*Disclaimer: This is all based on roads where traffic drives on the right side of the road. YMMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, there’s no right turn. It’s not a busy street I just wanted to know whether I should block the position to prevent a car from being in the same lane as me in case they aren’t paying attention and hit me when they pass on the right side. But as others have mentioned I should not, but give them enough room to pass safely - as they are going to go anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts