Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can't answer that directly, since my Road 5s will be good for at least another 15,000 km.
I'll be interested in reading other's feedback if they've got a pair of Road 6s fitted.

I'd imagine they'll be a pretty good tyre choice though, based on their predecessor.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't realize there was a road 6 already. I wonder if the manufacturer isn't getting a bit carried away with this one? Are we going to have like, a Road 23, or something? LOL.

Anyways, I too reached the conclusion that the Road 5 was the best performance-commuter tire. I have about 6,000 miles on mine so far (on my R3), and it does seem like it still has quite a bit of tread left. I'll be pleased if I can consistently get 10,000 miles out of a set. I am pretty sure I'll get at least 8,000; time will tell if they actually last 10 or more.

They seem to perform quite well through the canyon during my commutes -- especially when I'm running late and abuse the speed limits a bit more LOL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m at 22k on my Set of Road5 and they look easily to last another 8-10k kms, mine is a daily runner with occasional weekend rides, Do around 12-14k kms a year, and Road5 has been the best bet when it comes to dry as well as wet grip, cornering leans due to completely slick sides and dual compound nature of these, and really good life, compared to others, considering the not so good road conditions here, so that’s a very good positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m at 22k on my Set of Road5 and they look easily to last another 8-10k kms, mine is a daily runner with occasional weekend rides, Do around 12-14k kms a year, and Road5 has been the best bet when it comes to dry as well as wet grip, cornering leans due to completely slick sides and dual compound nature of these, and really good life, compared to others, considering the not so good road conditions here, so that’s a very good positive.

I was hoping someone from India would comment because of the ridiculous mix of road conditions here.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Hmm. That is a ton of miles -- pretty nice. I guess people must have different philosophies regarding when a tire is considered worn out and should be replaced. In addition to that, road surface temperature, average speed, weight on the tires, power put to the wheel (i.e. how much throttle is applied), wheel alignment, tire pressure, etc. have got to all affect tire wear. In my book, a tire is done when the tread is level with the top of any one of the wear bars, at any point on the tire. I also do ride fairly fast (often cruising at 85 mph and briefly hitting 95+ to pass), and the temperatures here are quite high (regularly well over 90 degrees in the summer). I suppose all of these factors must contribute to my getting much fewer miles out of a set of tires than some people have reported.

As I said above, my Road 5 rear tire has only 6,000 miles on it, and the wear bar is getting close -- such that I assume it will be good for likely no more than another 2,000 miles. If that's the case, I must admit I'll be mildly disappointed, as I was really hoping for at least a solid, honest, reliable, consistent 10,000 out of these -- based on what I had read about the Road 5 before buying this set. Perhaps the Road 6 will get me there (although I must say, I don't really like that the grooves in the tire extend farther into/toward the side-wall of the 6, compared to the 5...not really diggin' that...). But anyway, I will still have to see exactly how much I actually get out of this set first. I could see 12k out of these were I willing to take them all the way down to the steel belt LOL, but I can't really see getting anywhere close to that if I change them at the wear bars (which I will). Hmm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maverick84: I can't tell from the pic, but do you know if the tread is/was down to or past any of the wear bars on that R3 tire yet (at pic miles and/or replacement miles [later than pic?] or now)? 18k km...!? I must be getting screwed somehow, if I'm looking at mine possibly being done at only 13,000 kilometers or less. Or, again, maybe it's just different points of view / philosophies on tire wear...? Or maybe my rear tire will take longer than I think to actually reach the wear bars from where it is now...hmm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maverick84: I can't tell from the pic, but do you know if the tread is/was down to or past any of the wear bars on that R3 tire yet (at pic miles and/or replacement miles [later than pic?] or now)? 18k km...!? I must be getting screwed somehow, if I'm looking at mine possibly being done at only 13,000 kilometers or less. Or, again, maybe it's just different points of view / philosophies on tire wear...? Or maybe my rear tire will take longer than I think to actually reach the wear bars from where it is now...hmm.

The thread depth marker is way deeper currently, at 20k kms since install, so it looks like the tyre can do another 5-7k kms easy.
I’m a very sedate rider, and this is my daily runner, just that whenever going for longer rides, love to really lean-into curves, again at sane speeds..

·
Registered
149 Posts

Awesome!! I still wish the sipes did NOT extend farther toward the edge of the tire than those on the 5 (I think perhaps that could potentially cause some tire squirm in situations with moderate lean and high throttle/clutch slippage -- like being in a big hurry during a 90 degree right turn from a stop light), but other than that, it looks good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts