Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which tank bag is a good fit for for the R3's tank? I prefer something smallish to medium sized and prefer magnet mount.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And please post pics.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Aeson cleared it up. The tank itself is metal but what you see on the outside is simply a tank cover. A magnetic tank bag will not hold on well enough for any riding without it falling off. Backpacks are the way to go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, can you give an update on how this bag has worked out for you? I almost always ride with a backpack, but I'm looking for a tank bag to enhance my commuting capabilities.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, can you give an update on how this bag has worked out for you? I almost always ride with a backpack, but I'm looking for a tank bag to enhance my commuting capabilities.
There are some things I like and don't like about it. First, the pros. It's easy to remove when fueling up. The clear map pocket on top is nice. It will even hold smaller phones in a case. My LG K10 fits in it, just barely. It has a rain cover, but I don't carry it because it's thick and takes up alot of space in the bag. I just carry a small plastic grocery bag so I can wrap my phone in it if it rains. Cons-the bottom is hard plastic. The ION quick mount system is expensive-I paid about 150usd for the bag and hardware. And the thing that bugs me the most is it's too small. I should have bought the ION 2 bag. The ION 1 is listed as 5 liters and 9 liters expanded. I find it hard to believe it's 5 liters. And find it harder to believe it's 9 liters expanded. Expanding it does not make it much larger.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I opted for a cortech TAIL bag since it holds so much more and fit's well. It holds nearly as much as a backpack but won't destroy your back in a crash if your carrying something hard, like a coffee thermos etc, which I do every day. This made me really nervous since having it between my back and the road is asking for some serious hurt if I ever wrecked. I still use the backpack but carry nothing hard in it, a sandwich might just provide that extra cushion to prevent a back injury in a fall...you never know.
The Cortech has a rain cover that keeps everything dry unless you leave it in a storm. It's shaped well for the bike and attaches to the passenger loop and slots in passenger pegs with snap fasteners that are easy to tighten. It fits snug and doesn't move, but it will rub the paint on your tail so using the saddle that comes with it is a good idea.
I tried their tank bag and liked that it had a place for a map and phone that was clear but as others found, the magnets don't stick well enough and the tail bag holds much more, the only down side is it makes it harder to throw a leg over the bike.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This Nelson-Rigg offering is the one I went with:

Nelson-Rigg CL-2020 GPS Sport Tank Bag Strap Mount

and I also got the optional kit that lets you mount it on the tail instead, so I can use it either way:
Nelson-Rigg TLPK-MT-20 Tail Hook Mounting Kit

This bag is expandable, holds 23 liters when expanded, has a GPS pocket that tilts to whatever angle you need for best visibility, provisions for a 12 volt power cable to come into the bag, an iPhone pocket, rain cover, etc,etc.

Check it out.

Mine is ordered but hasn't arrived yet. You can see photos of the gag on any ad.

Be careful to use the EXACT wording. Nelson-Rigg has a BUNCH of SLIGHTLY different bags with differing features.

Jim G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts