Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Went on a long ride today and I noticed that when in 4th and 5th gear there is a whining noise around 6000-7500rpm. Does anyone else experience this noise? When I hop on the throttle the noise backs off a bit. It is most noticeable at steady speeds. The sound is not like plastic vibrating which others have mentioned... Sounds like it's coming from the motor or tranny.
Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I purchased the bike the oil level was too high. Drained about 0.3L and it's a little over the top line still. I'll take some more out and see if it goes away.
Not too concerned, it's just annoying at that rpm in those certain gears.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey buddy, I took mine out today and rode without ear plugs to see if I could hear anything. I didn't notice anything unusual in sounds today outside of normal gear whine. I wonder if the sound you are hearing could be the air pump working?
The air pump or oil pump? It's not tooo noticeable, but I have a ear for certain noises after owning a VW for a couple years haha.
Let's meet up sometime and you can take my bike for a quick rip on the highway and see if you can hear it. We are a couple blocks away from each other.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have that same noise. Never investigated it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will finally get my recall work done next week - wondering if that will make any difference. FWIW, I have a second R3 (2016 model) that I have turned into a track bike and it does not make the whining noise that my 2015 does - so I am not imagining it and the old "they all do that" explanation does not apply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the 2015 model and had my recall done at around 7000km and i only started to have this issue around 13000km so yeah idk, at my 10,000km the service the bike had a loopy idle sometimes and i mentioned this to the dealer and i asked if the fuel injection needs to be sync and he said their wasn't much they can do with syncing so he told me he just reset the ecu and he said it didn't miss a beat but yeah don't know if that has anything to do with this whine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the gears on the bike are sequential. so its normal for them to get a bit noisy. mine does this . I know exactly what you are talking about.

in regards to the "not much we can do dealer"
Dealers are such slimy buggers. I went in to get my 20K service or 13K miles done. and I printed out the service schedule.
when I got the bike back I said okay walk me thru what you did. they didnt inspect/ grease steering bearings. didnt remove the wheels to grease those bearings.
I asked why not. "because it was too time consuming" I said you know what I'm about to call Yamaha. because I booked in and you quoted me for a 20K service. with a bike under warranty you are required to do this. so you sit tight. while I get them on the line. And you explain why you didn't do it to them.
I got the service for free. and they redid all that stuff. Its the last time Ill ever go to them. but at least I got it done and here is the worst. I had actually done half their job for them. because I put a BMC airfilter. and changed the plugs for them as they didnt even make 11,000 km

1 - 11 of 11 Posts