Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well didn't take long for to change it up a little.. wanted to see what it looked like with white rims.. so. . I did it.. I love it. I used plasti dip for temporary use as I wanted to make sure I liked them. I think they turned out decent for someone with no patience or skill for painting. Let the hate begin :p

Attachments

· Registered
290 Posts
Wait, why would people hate?

That looks awesome. I would've plastidipped first too. But then after seeing that it looks awesome, I would then have it go powder coated. My local place charges me 180 for 2 motorcycle wheels media blast + powder coat one color.

· Registered
234 Posts
Wow! Really pops; looks kind of like the 1990ish FZR750R. I painted my RZ350's rims white back in the 80s, but the chain lube at that time made a mess of the rim every ride. Even with modern chain wax, I have to clean the white rims on my GSX-R750 after every ride.

I'm going to get some factory paint from Color-Rite, and paint the black parts of the fairing and bodywork on my red R3 red and white.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahah thanks guys! I am thoroughly enjoying it. I will deffinetly be getting them painted white eventually.. simply for the finish. It's tough to get a good finish with the plasti dip. But I think it's a great temporary thing.or maybe even a pearl white to match the white on the bike.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Really pops; looks kind of like the 1990ish FZR750R. I painted my RZ350's rims white back in the 80s, but the chain lube at that time made a mess of the rim every ride. Even with modern chain wax, I have to clean the white rims on my GSX-R750 after every ride.

I'm going to get some factory paint from Color-Rite, and paint the black parts of the fairing and bodywork on my red R3 red and white.

Yaa they are a pain to keep clear especially with the plasti dip the dirt seems to stick. And makes it difficult to clean off

· Registered
234 Posts
I painted my GSXR's rims with Rustoleum Professional spray paint gloss white by taping around the tire beads (wheels off bike, thoroughly cleaned and prepped). 3 coats looked really good. A year later, when I had new tires put on, I took the wheels to Cycle Gear to have the old tires removed, which made spraying two more good coats on really easy. I used saw horses out in the driveway with metal rods supporting the rims through the axle holes. I slowly turned the rims as I sprayed. When I returned a week later for the new tires, The Cycle Gear guy thought I had powder coated them! Total cost: $25.00.

· Registered
24 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed. I think the white wheels look great. Kinda thinking maybe I should have ordered the Red/White combo in stead of the Blue? Anyway...great looking bike!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.