Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well didn't take long for to change it up a little.. wanted to see what it looked like with white rims.. so. . I did it.. I love it. I used plasti dip for temporary use as I wanted to make sure I liked them. I think they turned out decent for someone with no patience or skill for painting. Let the hate begin :p

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wait, why would people hate?

That looks awesome. I would've plastidipped first too. But then after seeing that it looks awesome, I would then have it go powder coated. My local place charges me 180 for 2 motorcycle wheels media blast + powder coat one color.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think it looks fantastic. Worthy of permanence.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wow! Really pops; looks kind of like the 1990ish FZR750R. I painted my RZ350's rims white back in the 80s, but the chain lube at that time made a mess of the rim every ride. Even with modern chain wax, I have to clean the white rims on my GSX-R750 after every ride.

I'm going to get some factory paint from Color-Rite, and paint the black parts of the fairing and bodywork on my red R3 red and white.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahah thanks guys! I am thoroughly enjoying it. I will deffinetly be getting them painted white eventually.. simply for the finish. It's tough to get a good finish with the plasti dip. But I think it's a great temporary thing.or maybe even a pearl white to match the white on the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Really pops; looks kind of like the 1990ish FZR750R. I painted my RZ350's rims white back in the 80s, but the chain lube at that time made a mess of the rim every ride. Even with modern chain wax, I have to clean the white rims on my GSX-R750 after every ride.

I'm going to get some factory paint from Color-Rite, and paint the black parts of the fairing and bodywork on my red R3 red and white.

Yaa they are a pain to keep clear especially with the plasti dip the dirt seems to stick. And makes it difficult to clean off

·
Registered
234 Posts
I painted my GSXR's rims with Rustoleum Professional spray paint gloss white by taping around the tire beads (wheels off bike, thoroughly cleaned and prepped). 3 coats looked really good. A year later, when I had new tires put on, I took the wheels to Cycle Gear to have the old tires removed, which made spraying two more good coats on really easy. I used saw horses out in the driveway with metal rods supporting the rims through the axle holes. I slowly turned the rims as I sprayed. When I returned a week later for the new tires, The Cycle Gear guy thought I had powder coated them! Total cost: $25.00.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My only "hate" would be to clean the thing, when it gets dirty; and we all know white gets dirtier than black.
why not go with golden rims? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed. I think the white wheels look great. Kinda thinking maybe I should have ordered the Red/White combo in stead of the Blue? Anyway...great looking bike!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you take the wheels off to do this? I really want to see what the red one looks like with red rims... Getting mine thursday and im tempted to do this but in red...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks good, but for a split second...visuals of a 2000 CBR-600 Honda with white rims come to mind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you take the wheels off to do this? I really want to see what the red one looks like with red rims... Getting mine thursday and im tempted to do this but in red...
Yes I removed wheels to do it . I thought abut red also post a pic if you do it :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes I removed wheels to do it . I thought abut red also post a pic if you do it
Will def post pics... I have never taken the wheels off before, is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do this? i dont know how i would keep the bike up and all that.... Im new to sport bikes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Love the white rims

The wheels look very clean. Hope you can keep them that way. I'm in love with my blue wheels too much to go white. Have thought about it one or twice though. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since on the topic of hate, I am curious to see if you did a 2 color way of white and red. Just paint the spokes red! haha
Or even better paint the back wheel red and keep the front white

1 - 20 of 49 Posts