Yamaha R3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
35k miles on the R3 still no problems. Got a SV650 as a 2nd bike now, R3 won't be getting ridden as much.
Wow, that's alot of miles. I'm curious what the average life span of an R3 engine is with normal street riding and commuting.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, that's alot of miles. I'm curious what the average life span of an R3 engine is with normal street riding and commuting.
Just incase you don't know, Yamaha don't just make musical instruments and bikes, they also make engines for cars such as Toyota, Lexus and Volvo ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
bumping this thread for updates, where's everyone at mileage wise now? I'm at about 3400+ miles now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nearly 4000km. Dropped her a couple of times now. Minor scratches on mirrors, indicators and exhaust and painfully a little nick on the fairings. Break lever slightly bent, end of clutch lever snapped. Most of the bits I'm planning on replacing anyway, but the two little fairing scraps are going to bug me forever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am at 15,557 miles. Started riding the R3 March 1st 2016. I commute everyday all year, minus extreme weather. So far I have done all maintenance myself. I still get 65 miles/gallon in summer and 57 miles/gallon in winter. So far everything runs great. I have replaced the air filter with K&N air filter, NGK Iridium CR8EIX spark plugs, and Bel-Ray Fork oil. My next oil change I will switch from Castrol partial synthetic to Mobile 1 race synthetic. I noticed my military base sells Mobile 1 for $9 something a quart plus there is no tax on base.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got mine in the middle of January, so pretty much exactly 11 months ago. It had 830 miles on it when I bought it, just rolled over 14,000 on my last ride.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nearly 4000km. Dropped her a couple of times now. Minor scratches on mirrors, indicators and exhaust and painfully a little nick on the fairings. Break lever slightly bent, end of clutch lever snapped. Most of the bits I'm planning on replacing anyway, but the two little fairing scraps are going to bug me forever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I feel you, I think it was like my second week of ownership and one day went out riding and dropped the bike twice on the same day. Have a little knick in the fairing sticker on the left-hand side and a minor scratch on the exhaust. Drove me nuts too as I told myself that I wouldn't ever let the bike fall. Oh well, minor cosmetic damage hardly noticeable and I don't really think about it unless I see it but hey you live and learn. Guess I got my bike drops out of the way, hopefully no more in the future.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had my bike 20 months now, and it's done 32,500 kilometres (20,000 miles).

I changed my rear tyre at 20,000 kilometres and the front tyre at 30,000 kilometres.

Shortly after I joined this site I recall that there was a guy from Malaysia on here who did 30,000 kikometres in only a few months. I'd love to know how many kilometres his bike has done now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
After 23 months I'm at 1695 miles... I need to ride more! Funny thing is I've put 6,000 miles on my bicycle in the same time period.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I rode my R3 for around 11 months~, hit 25K miles before I switched the saddle to a different bike. Took a picture at 20K miles lol.

Was a great commuter bike. I believe I had 3 tire changes for the rear. Stock -> Bridgestone Battlax BT -> Stock. Once for the front. Also changed the chain and sprockets once, stocks took a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just passed the break-in period ,1177 miles and just took her to the car wash, cleaned chain and thoroughly washed, I miss riding If I miss a day! LOVE my R3!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
awesome!

Approaching 25k km (15,5 k mls).....getting the swingarm pivot grease repacked at the moment.
wow:chatterbox you have the most I've seen so far! You have a 2015 bike? Have you had to replace anything? Any bearings wear out besides what you mention?

·
Registered
42 Posts
11,000+ miles on my 2016.

Replaced the spark plugs & air filter at 1 year. Regular oil changes at the usual intervals. Replaced the tires at 9,800.

·
Registered
130 Posts
wow:chatterbox you have the most I've seen so far! You have a 2015 bike? Have you had to replace anything? Any bearings wear out besides what you mention?
Nothing's worn out, and the bike is kept outside (but covered, always). The repack of the grease for the swingarm pivot I chose to do simply because the maintenance schedule book says to do so. :nerd: . One should always follow the maintenance schedule.......dealer charged 1,5h labour for the job.

Bike runs fine, everything's nice and tight. It saw a handful of trackdays this year and last year. It's a 2015 bike but I picked it up new in 04/2016.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Checking in with 40,000 miles. 2nd valve adjustment was 2,000 miles ago. Gonna do the cam chain and tensioner soon. Bike has had no issues. I run it hard to red line all the time (just don't bounce off the limiter.) Used to do lots of highest commuting at night where I'd be at like 10k rpm for miles on end. This bike can take a beating don't hold back.

Just installed full Akra exhaust and custom NortonFab ECU. Who knew the R3 could sound so good? Also going to need those block off plates cuz she shoots massive flames?.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 107 Posts