Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Who's solved the mirror problem?

73K views 131 replies 73 participants last post by  AesonVirus 
#1 ·
Some owner last week was right on about the mirrors are useless to see anything behind you except for checking out your elbows.

I've tried a few times to make the adjustments but nothing helps. Anyone here found any after market replacements online yet?

Thanks!

#7 ·
I have small blind spot mirrors on mine. They help.. But I still do the elbow tuck. partially because they are small circle mirrors but they are way better than not having them. I have bigger blind spot mirrors on my car and love them that's why I got them for the bike. They help alot for when a car pulls next to you more than totally what is behind you. I like them.

#14 ·
Did first long ride, 150 miles, on it with the Rizoma mirrors mounted on the bars.

Problem fixed! NO elbow tuck required. The outermost 3" of each mirror shows a good, clear view directly behind.

Mirrors got blurry at from right around 5,800 rpm up to 6,3000 rpm, then cleared up.

#15 ·
It may be a size factor as well. Most average riders I deal are around 5'6". I'm rather on the short side. I am 5'1" and the stock mirrors on my R3 I am able to adjust it to where they are showing my shoulders and the whole view behind me haha. Riding stagger with my brother I can clearly see him on either side and even one lane over. My problem is not present.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks. Kinda expensive but it's on my list. Now where to find block off plates?
You can usually find Rizoma clone mirrors on eBay for $50 or so.

R&G makes mirror blanking plates but they're also pricey. $72.00 a pair shipped from UK.

KD Project Racing in Thailand makes them and sells them for $22.50 a pair but doesn't currently ship outside Thailand. I tried...

Also, I just ordered a set of mirror extenders to move the Rizomas outward another 1 1/2" to see how that works.

#21 ·
Actually if you set the mirrors to shoot down the lanes and not behind you, then you only need to pull your elbows in to see both lanes. If you're watching for cops, I use the left lane mirror and air it at the line between the lanes. I can still see the car on the left, but I can also see a police car approaching. No matter how you set them, pull your elbows in before you look.

#22 · (Edited)
Mirror Extenders Update

I just added some mirror extenders to my Rizoma mirrors to raise them up and further out.

The rearward view now is outstanding and there is no interference with the front fairing.

I still need mirror block off plates/mirror blanking plates but I'm not willing to pay $70.00 U.S. for the R&G ones. I'm going to try to buy them from KD Project Racing in Thailand ($22.50 U.S.).

http://www.kdprojectracing.com/category/41/yamaha/yzf-r3?tskp=1

The owner said he WOULD ship to the U.S. but you can't select that option on the website (Thailand cities only). You have to order via email to the site to get shipping costs and then pay through PayPal

These extenders are $16.80 shipped. Had them in 8 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19141604803...49&var=490515666716&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 3545

View attachment 3553

#24 ·
the posts that the mirrors are on are retractable in both directions, im 6 feet tall, i simply pushed them back slightly and adjusted the mirrors, i now can see just fine without tucking my elbows at all, and they are stiff enough not to move from all the vibration of riding... its that simple.

#26 ·
I'm 5'11" <140lbs with long arms, so even tucking my elbow only gives me a little bit. I still have to move my head to. Had my buddy drive to me to dealership to pick up my bike. On the way back we were stopped at a red light. I couldn't see him in his truck basically right behind me.

#32 ·
Actually there is a novel solution to this problem. The problem is not to set the left and right mirror for the left lane or right lane because the adjustments allow that. The problem is only for looking directly behind you. There are a number of mirror providers you may buy one mirror for the end of the bar. Use that mirror for behind you only. It looks a bit strange at the beginning, but it will not allow the police to sneak up behind you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.