Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title. Get 100, 102 on a good day. Could be bad headwind, but I've maxed it out riding at least 2 or 3 different times and got 100-102. I am carrying a backpack. And installed m4 street slayer exhaust (cat removal) without tuning engine, Could this cause reduction in speed? Or also the backpack since it introduces drag?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why do you think 102 is slow? It's a 320cc motorcycle... Your weight, drag, altitude, air temperature, fuel all factor into this. Ways to improve: Air filter, full exhaust, ECU flash, 415 chain, lose weight, get smaller.

With about 5k in upgrades I could hit 108MPH on my lap timer on the back straight of NCM in full race config. On my FZ07 I can do 130 before the wind is too harsh.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Got Raven up to 113mph on a slight downhill at the "track." My buddies R3 topped out at 117mph at the "track." My guess is yours is running too lean from the full exhaust. Jim says, "Better richen her up a bit."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got Raven up to 113mph on a slight downhill at the "track." My buddies R3 topped out at 117mph at the "track." My guess is yours is running too lean from the full exhaust. Jim says, "Better richen her up a bit."
Jim sounds like a smart guy. Any way I can richen her up besides having to drop ~$300 on a ecu tune? I'm already using premium gas which should help a little (Though manual says 95 RON so 91 Premium is what manual says to use anyways...)

·
Registered
34 Posts

Max for me was 117 with no tune only Yoshimura slip on. I was fully tucked so not sure why you can’t pass 102 but my weight is 154 and had my AlpineStars backpack on that day as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 68094
Max for me was 117 with no tune only Yoshimura slip on. I was fully tucked so not sure why you can’t pass 102 but my weight is 154 and had my AlpineStars backpack on that day as well.
Nice.. I'm 170, backpack was decently heavy but I read weight had nothing to do with top speed (though I didn't keep on the gas for 5 minutes wide open throttle to see if it got any higher).
I tried to tuck my head down decently well, not sure if what I was doing was full tuck or not since people say r3 is more like a standard bike position

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did also tip my bike over recently since I parked it on sand overnight while it rained, wouldn't start until I push started it like a week later (ran really ratty for a bit, violently so, think water/gas was flying out of engine, had also seen liquid below spark plugs when I checked those). Did oil change since there was gas in oil, checked air filter, it smelled of gasoline but I didn't replace because it didn't look too bad to me..hope nothing else is wrong with bike from that tip over and in general, besides needing a tune.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jim sounds like a smart guy. Any way I can richen her up besides having to drop ~$300 on a ecu tune? I'm already using premium gas which should help a little (Though manual says 95 RON so 91 Premium is what manual says to use anyways...)
Well there's your problem, the r3 is not a high compression bike, it does not need premium fuel. Premium provides less power than regular octane in a normal compression engine since per volume it contains less actual fuel and more octane. Octane inhibits combustion and is used for high compression engines only. No one uses high octane fuel on the r3 in racing, they might use MR12 which is still 87.
If you want to waste money on fuel go buy non ethanol full.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes. Jims my hero. Any who, i tried some oldschool tricks to richen her up a bit, but to no avail. Pretty sure you need the ecu thing or fuel commander.

·
Registered
306 Posts
View attachment 68094
Wow! Nice top speed. Idk why he 102, me 113, you and my buddy 117? My bike does have 99 problems, but still?!?!
I think my speedo is off?

·
Registered
306 Posts
From 3-17 Owners manual 2018 r3
@EngineeringAnon

View attachment 68095
US Fuel is 4-6 lower than RON. Meaning 91 premium at minimum is what engine was designed for.

Do tell me I can be fine with 87 fuel because I'd love to save like 50%... lol I'm getting the $/mpg of a Camry right now
Ive always been told 91 octane minimum. Never ran a drop of 87 in my bike. Ive ran full tanks of vp race gas. 100 octane i think? Noticable power increase, but $8 a gallon. soo..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well there's your problem, the r3 is not a high compression bike, it does not need premium fuel. Premium provides less power than regular octane in a normal compression engine since per volume it contains less actual fuel and more octane. Octane inhibits combustion and is used for high compression engines only. No one uses high octane fuel on the r3 in racing, they might use MR12 which is still 87.
If you want to waste money on fuel go buy non ethanol full.
Is it really safe to run 87 octane in a R3? It says 91 octane minimum right on the bike. Its tempting.. I could save a small fortune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow! Nice top speed. Idk why he 102, me 113, you and my buddy 117? My bike does have 99 problems, but still?!?!
I think my speedo is off?
Thanks! Maybe off but did you do any chain/sprocket replacement? If so gonna need to hookup a Speedo Healer to straighten it out. Other then that maybe tucking position can adjust if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wouldn't blindly believe that 117mph is an objective speed unless we have an evidence from the topo maps that that particluar strip of the road where this speed was recorded was an even surface and not a downward slope. Also the weight of the rider matters A LOT, the wind, gearing, tire circumference, bike tuning. If the gearing or tyre size was changed, the speedo will lie and speedo healer is required. Even with a speedo healer, you don't want to have it configured as "spot on", you will want to add a little margin, maybe about 5% extra to the displayed speed and the overall accuracy is up to the one who tuned it. So a lot of IFs... I'd say 100-102mph is a decent figure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
From 3-17 Owners manual 2018 r3
@EngineeringAnon

View attachment 68095
US Fuel is 4-6 lower than RON. Meaning 91 premium at minimum is what engine was designed for.

Do tell me I can be fine with 87 fuel because I'd love to save like 50%... lol I'm getting the $/mpg of a Camry right now

This is what the US manual says. I have always used 87 octane and never had a problem and mileage is great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts