Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been looking to replace my Rosso II on the rear which I've done 7.5KM on.

I ordered a 160/60 S21 after reading of people on here putting 160/60's on the R3, and also on other forums for the Ninja etc.
I was mainly after the wider tyre as I spend most my time commuting (15,000km in 9 months) and the odd track day / weekend ride. The S21 is appealing with the triple compound, something that is hard to find in a smaller tyre size.

I have a friend with a tyre changer who races semi-pro and is accustomed to putting softer rubber on his various track bikes.
Attempting to put the S21 on the 4" R3 wheel was next to impossible - I would strongly advise against it, we stopped as the noises sounded damaging / not normal.
FYI Bridgestone recommend 150/60 on a 4" and 4.5" for a 160/60.

I'm returning my S21 and getting another Rosso II for a few reasons:
  • Bridgestone S21 doesn't have any sizes available for stock rim
  • Bridgestone S20 EVO is hard to source now it is end of life
  • Bridgestone RS10 is too soft for commuting / daily use
  • Most Bridgestone 140/70 are "H-series" and don't come with any/many of the good features their main tyres have. E.g. multi compound.
  • Rosso III do not make 140/70
  • Pilot Road 4 do not make 140/70
  • Metzler Z8 do not make 140/70
  • Would rather replace the rear more often (perhaps 6,000km) and have something that fits correctly

My 2C from down in NZ anyway - interested if anyone has any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Did you friend use a no mar tire changer? I did when I installed my S20s and yes it was indeed extremely hard to install. That front tire gave me high blood pressure. By contrast my ZX6R wheels take about 3 minute each lol.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I also live in NZ, and also have done similar distance and use cases (16,000 KM, mainly commuting with the odd weekend trip - no track days though). My main concern was wet weather grip, so when I bought the bike I got a Pilot Road 3 on the front and a Pilot Street (radial) on the rear, both original sizes.

I am still on these tyres with heaps of tread left. So for your use case I can definitely recommend that combination.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you friend use a no mar tire changer? I did when I installed my S20s and yes it was indeed extremely hard to install. That front tire gave me high blood pressure. By contrast my ZX6R wheels take about 3 minute each lol.
It's not no mar, but it's an automatic motorcycle changer. The supercorsa's go on very easy with it, but they're far softer than the S21/S20.

I'm glad I didn't just take it to a tyre shop and have them pop it on, having attempted it myself it seemed like an unnatural fit.

I also live in NZ, and also have done similar distance and use cases (16,000 KM, mainly commuting with the odd weekend trip - no track days though). My main concern was wet weather grip, so when I bought the bike I got a Pilot Road 3 on the front and a Pilot Street (radial) on the rear, both original sizes.

I am still on these tyres with heaps of tread left. So for your use case I can definitely recommend that combination.
I was keen to look at the pilot roads, but the wanted a matching set and something with more grip on the rear - and neither the 3/4 have 140/70.

I took the Pilot Street off at 8,000 and went to the Rosso II and the grip difference is significant, just a shame they square off so much with the daily commuting (60km return trip).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts