Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my 2019 r3 for over a year now and I have had no problems whatsoever with the way that it accelerates or even cruises on the highway...most of the time. On some rare occasions while I am riding, the bike will suddenly lose its rpm's and sit at around 5000 rpms. When it is throwing this fit, opening the throttle slightly revs it up but as I continue to open fully it drops back down. I'll restart the bike and the problem will go away for a minute before going back to refusing to rev any higher than 5000 while the throttle is pulled all the way back. And the worst part is that after a while the issue just goes away, then when it comes back it'll happen without a moments notice. Because it is so inconstant, I haven't been able to pin down what the exact cause is. I have been able to catch an episode of it acting up when I was about to get on the highway that better shows the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Unless the ECU is throwing a fault code for a dealer's trouble-shooting software, this may be a ghost until it gets worst. It could be electrical in either ignition or fuel supply. The only thing I've read about any problems similar to this, I believe required the replacement of a faulty fuel pump. But until you have a proper diagnosis, swapping out parts gets expensive, and is normally a waste of time and effort.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does it happen when the gas tank is getting low? Modern bikes use the fuel in the tank to "cool" the fuel pump. If there isn't much fuel in the the tank, the fuel pump can overheat slightly. This can result in fueling issues. I once had a Husqvarna Supermoto that ate three fuel pumps in 2,700 miles!!! Yamaha is much better quality, but I never let any of my bikes get below 1/4 tank after that frustrating (and expensive) lesson-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts