Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So today we experienced some pretty strong winds in Boston. Whilst at work I received a call that my bike tipped over on the clutch side due to strong winds. Thanks to mom, cousin and a friend they we were able to lift up the bike. But not without some damage. ?

Bar end served its purpose and got bent. Kick stand got bent. And a few replaceable plastic parts. All in all not to worked over it. Things happen. But anybody else experience tipped bike due to wind?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine blew over on its right side when the wind got under the cover and ripped the cover up. It caught onto the handlebars and over she went. Bent the brake lever and took of the brake lever feel peg. This was 5-6 weeks ago when a tstorm line passed through with some very strong winds. Called our insurance Co and they said they had a bunch of claims filed for the same thing that day, and it was "fairly" common. Who knew?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had an adjuster look at it, but it wasn't covered since I had previously low sided and damaged a bunch of stuff on the same side.

If I hadn't done that, it would've been covered.

It was all cosmetic other than the levers which I wanted to replace anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for me. Scratched fairings didn't bother me and I'm still riding around on them, it's a battle scar of sorts ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ah another Ma rider. Where you located at?

I rode my bike Sunday on the highway when the wind was real bad. It kinda sucked... but I just kept trucking along. I always park in a garage, so wind isn't an issue when parked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah another Ma rider. Where you located at?

I rode my bike Sunday on the highway when the wind was real bad. It kinda sucked... but I just kept trucking along. I always park in a garage, so wind isn't an issue when parked.
Yeah Sunday was brutal too but I was out riding. I'm in Woburn!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any suggestions on how can something like this be prevented for folks less fortunate like myself who don't have the luxury of indoor parking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Any suggestions on how can something like this be prevented for folks less fortunate like myself who don't have the luxury of indoor parking?
I keep a close eye on the angle of my bike when I park it. I ran out tonight and when I parked it, it was in a spot that had a slight incline. I had backed in and when I got off the bike, it was leaning way over. I hopped back on, turned it nose in and it stood up at a much nicer angle.
The R3 leans more than most other bikes by default so I look for ways to stand it up by utilizing the various dips and raised areas in parking spots as much as possible.
Maybe I'll start carrying a small piece of 3/4 plywood with me just in case I need more kickstand height.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Speaking of wind, I rode over the Altamont Pass yesterday with 25-30 mph gusts ... it was like riding on hot butter a couple times, kinda unnerving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I added a 1/8" thick aluminum pad to the kickstand. easily 3x the original footprint. Stands a little higher when parked. Also was worried about parking on hot asphalt and kickstand sinking in (has happened before).

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts