Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was able to score a G4 Noco charging station on liquidation at a local hardware store. I ran the wire to the back of the bike in the boot and added a few zip tie to lock in place. With the 4 bank, I can keep all my toys batteries nice and fresh.
Worked out great!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx for the heads up!
I can not believe anyone would hook up a tender to anything else but the actual battery. Now I'm curious to see how easy it would be to confuse the two. Lol.

Thnx for the CT link! It's definitely on my things to do list however as I'm not to smart about chargers, I'm wondering if it would be able to charge a phone like the S10 faster than it's drain without a quick charger capable one, and most SAE chargers don't identify themselves as a quick charger. I might try it and report back!

For now, I will carry a Quick Charger power bank in my backpack on rides that could take me far away from charging stops lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thnx for the heads up!
I can not believe anyone would hook up a tender to anything else but the actual battery. Now I'm curious to see how easy it would be to confuse the two. Lol.

Thnx for the CT link! It's definitely on my things to do list however as I'm not to smart about chargers, I'm wondering if it would be able to charge a phone like the S10 faster than it's drain without a quick charger capable one, and most SAE chargers don't identify themselves as a quick charger. I might try it and report back!

For now, I will carry a Quick Charger power bank in my backpack on rides that could take me far away from charging stops lol.
I use and S10+ and google auto and my screen is on full time while driving with GPS and it charged my phone completely while it was in use without any problems. I honestly did not check for quick charge however i doubt it cause this is 5v output and quick charge i believe is 9v.

Stay posted I have ordered something kewl to add for usb. just waiting for it to arrive. LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quick chargers are not 9v, they are all 5v, it's the amperage that matters. Most phone quick chargers are [email protected], the old slow chargers are 500mA (1/2A), which comes from the usb standard.
That link says it's 3.1A combines so you're probably looking at 1A for each port and 1.1A of heat loss (converting from 12v to 5v takes energy).
Source: electrical engineer

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude - this just made life so much easier - ty for doing the HW for me (and others)!
I knew the its xA is the important part but didn't take the time yet to learn too much, I just make sure I use the brick I get from cell phone and power bank say QC Qualcomm compatible lol.
I might hit you with some more questions one day!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick chargers are not 9v, they are all 5v, it's the amperage that matters. Most phone quick chargers are [email protected], the old slow chargers are 500mA (1/2A), which comes from the usb standard.
That link says it's 3.1A combines so you're probably looking at 1A for each port and 1.1A of heat loss (converting from 12v to 5v takes energy).
Source: electrical engineer
Yes you are absolutely right, but also there is two ways of gaining this, one is increasing amp and the other is increase voltage, being an electrical engineer you know you equation to calculate power. However with increase voltage your device must be able to handle the increase voltage, whereas increasing current (A or mA) the device will only draw what it requires so it is a safer way of doing it. The quick chargers that come with the samsung S10+ phone is rated for 9v on my so i know the device is capable of doing this, I did not look at the rating for current as I was shocked on the 9v rating when I saw it. Wow it has been a while since I visited this stuff, I am getting too old.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the bike? Wireless charging is incredibly inefficient
Yea man! why inefficient though?
The link I provided should be plenty of juice to keep it charging while running a GPS app no? If there is a theory behind it to avoid it, I'll wait to get a mount until a Wireless one comes to market.
but I'll need to figure out a ball mount one to the clip on bolt - don't want to mess with steering stem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is what i did:
For the mount i bought the M8 ball mount and used M6x1.0X50mm to mount on bars (there are 2 spots), then used 1" arm to extend to center and mount holder. works perfectly

For the charging circuit:
(if you need schematic let me know) I used a relay to draw power from battery and then used controller on relay to ignition wire (used rear license plate wire as it is link to ignition) to trigger the relay. Then i purchased the following and wired with a fuse and quick disconnect water tight connector in the case i take the fairing off (need to be able to disconnect) and integrated quick charger and voltmeter into dash.

It has power button on it so that is nice but turn off with ignition to save the batter and looks like it is meant to be there, and good for voltage check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ram mount has a wireless charging cradle however wireless charging. I dont know how well it works but I know they have it. Radio world is where i picked up everything for the mount.

For a usb cable i got a magnetic USB cable that connects easily and wont break the jack when connecting and disconnecting. This is similar to the ones i get at aa electronics in mississauga

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
magnetic USB cable
Nice! and got it - so you have a RAM Mount setup. Congrats on the clean setup on that 12v! very cool.
Keep you guys posted on how my Fall/Winter goes with messing around with the mount!

Edit :
I used a relay to draw power from battery and then used controller on relay to ignition wire
Is this to avoid battery drain with ignition off since your 12v has a meter charge that would remain 'on' even if switch is off?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wanted the usb ports to be off when the ignition was off, and i did not want to use a line that is fused for a low amp and when i charge my phone it would blow the fuse, so i used a relay so that the ignition power wire turns on the relay and allow power to sourced from the batt. to flow to the charger. Little hard to explain. If you need help with it i am more than happy to help and you are close by. I work on cars both new and classics all the time so i have relays laying around. you can but from cdn tire they are 5 or 6 dollars. the voltage display is what my batt is producing when the key is in the on position with the engine off. when the engine is on it is what the bike charging curcuit is pushing to the bike battery. it is good to see if the battery is good or low.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanted the usb ports to be off when the ignition was off, and i did not want to use a line that is fused for a low amp and when i charge my phone it would blow the fuse, so i used a relay so that the ignition power wire turns on the relay and allow power to sourced from the batt. to flow to the charger.
Make a lot of sense! I see some chargers have on/off switches, but that would be another thing to remember to manage. I like the idea of having them turn on/off with the ignition for sure. I read some posts where some sourced from the DLR lights wire (blue wire if i remember correctly) so the charging ports activate with ignition.
Would you consider that to be a low amp wire for charging a phone like the S10 and above? maybe @EngineeringAnon can chime in on this too.
I'll read up on relays and how they work/install. Very keen on learning about electrical!

If you need help with it i am more than happy to help and you are close by.
Thank you good sir for the offer - I'm up in Montreal.
Maybe we can setup a call to go over the process once I'm ready to have the mount installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make a lot of sense! I see some chargers have on/off switches, but that would be another thing to remember to manage. I like the idea of having them turn on/off with the ignition for sure. I read some posts where some sourced from the DLR lights wire (blue wire if i remember correctly) so the charging ports activate with ignition.
Would you consider that to be a low amp wire for charging a phone like the S10 and above? maybe @EngineeringAnon can chime in on this too.
I'll read up on relays and how they work/install. Very keen on learning about electrical!

Thank you good sir for the offer - I'm up in Montreal.
Maybe we can setup a call to go over the process once I'm ready to have the mount installed.
No disrespect intended, but from your language I can tell this is all a bit of a foreign topic to you, And I just want to encourage to to consider whether paying someone $30 to professionally wire a relay and charge port for you isn’t worth the peace of mind and time savings that come with that route vs. the alternative. I’d hate to see you facing headaches down the road because you got a bit ahead of yourself. I’ve known extremely talented engine builders that wouldn’t touch wiring to save their life, there’s no shame in that. Anyhow not trying to discourage you, just seemed worth saying so you can consider. Best of luck regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts