Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

How does winter storage in a heated area (ie. living room in a 6th floor apartment) differ from standard winterizing procedure?

Thinking in terms of fuel/fluids (drain or leave), fumes, battery, and starting it every so often. Bike is a 2015 R3, doesn't leak, and will be on stands. I've got plenty of room and want to display the bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Your going to start it in a 6th floor apartment?? Neighbors should really like that.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Hello everyone-

How does winter storage in a heated area (ie. living room in a 6th floor apartment) differ from standard winterizing procedure?

Thinking in terms of fuel/fluids (drain or leave), fumes, battery, and starting it every so often. Bike is a 2015 R3, doesn't leak, and will be on stands. I've got plenty of room and want to display the bike.
If you're looking to go by the book and not risk your lease... most buildings have code that require the vehicle be drained of all fluids.
If you're worried about any of that, it's best to ask first. Otherwise, you'll have someone come in to look a a leaking sink or loss of heat mid-winter and next thing you know, you're out on your @ss.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To be fair, I partake in other activities in my house that are louder than a stock R3.
Haha ;)

If its indoors, I guess you can skip the winterisation and just put it in storage mode. Surely the inside of the elevated apartment would be a comfy temperature, all day round?

·
Registered
542 Posts
No difference than outside. Ethanol treatment on a full tank of gas, run it for a few minutes to get the treatment in the hoses, stands, and a trickle charger. No need to ever start the bike until you are ready to ride.

As mentioned above, this may be a huge violation of code so get with your super to see what needs to be done, or just take the chance. Your call.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Only move your bike in and out in the early hours of the morning of a weekday (1-4AM Monday-Thursday) to ensure no one notices. I know someone who does this every year with his drz and apparently he's never been spotted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts