Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm in the same boat here in South Dakota. Spring couldn't come any sooner!

The only "silver lining" about riding here in the Midwest is having the ability to replenish some funds and get some much needed repair work done over the off-season.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This is why god created wearing 2 jackets plus a base layer*
Two jackets? As in, two pairs of leathers? Would like to see that lol. Kidding aside, I would go with CG freeze out gear to wear under my leathers. Anything that blocks wind is going to be more effective than layers. I have an ultra thin wind breaker that came with an older jacket. That thing does a much better job than a hoodie ever would. If it's really that cold wear some heated gear.

Your two jackets and base layer won't get rid of icey roads though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Two jackets? As in, two pairs of leathers? Would like to see that lol. Kidding aside, I would go with CG freeze out gear to wear under my leathers. Anything that blocks wind is going to be more effective than layers. I have an ultra thin wind breaker that came with an older jacket. That thing does a much better job than a hoodie ever would. If it's really that cold wear some heated gear.

Your two jackets and base layer won't get rid of icey roads though.
not two leathers (that would be great actually). I rode the other day in the CG freeze out pants with my riding jeans and sweatpants over them, and then the CG freeze out shirt with my alpinestars leathers and a big winter jacket over that. I also have an SA fishing fleece face shield for my face/neck. My main problem is my gloves aren't goretex or anything so my hands get super cold if I ride too long. I also wouldn't ride if there was any form of water/ice on the road, it was a bright and sunny day.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I get some riding in here and there in the mountains of western NC. I generally look for temps +10°C and I'm good. Not tearing up the corners, just being on the bike and the lovely empty roads when there aren't tourists is enough.

Or be like me and visit Québec and drive a sled. So.....much......fun......!! :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It was 64f and cloudy today. I went on a group ride with 5 bikes. I was cold. Next week... it's going to be 76f here. I'm excited.

·
Registered
218 Posts
low 30s this weekend :p Roads were dry and it was nice being back on the bike after a few weeks off, but was pretty afraid of hitting a rogue patch of ice

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
It was 64f and cloudy today. I went on a group ride with 5 bikes. I was cold. Next week... it's going to be 76f here. I'm excited.
How can you be cold at 64F / 18C? That's downright balmy! I was out when it was 45F / 7C and bundled up and having a ball. Couldn't go very far but it was still fun to be out in November and early December.

On an unrelated note - for those of you that store your bikes over the winter, whats your winter maintenance routine? Do you start it up and let it warm up to operating temp then turn it off? Or do you let it run until the fan comes on?

I just went out and started mine after letting it sit for about a month and a half and it fired right up. I haven't done anything except put fuel stabilizer in it. Haven't even put it on a battery tender. I let it run until it hit operating temps and I gently brought up the revs to about 5k a couple times then shut if off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How can you be cold at 64F / 18C? That's downright balmy! I was out when it was 45F / 7C and bundled up and having a ball. Couldn't go very far but it was still fun to be out in November and early December.

On an unrelated note - for those of you that store your bikes over the winter, whats your winter maintenance routine? Do you start it up and let it warm up to operating temp then turn it off? Or do you let it run until the fan comes on?

I just went out and started mine after letting it sit for about a month and a half and it fired right up. I haven't done anything except put fuel stabilizer in it. Haven't even put it on a battery tender. I let it run until it hit operating temps and I gently brought up the revs to about 5k a couple times then shut if off.

Got some fuel stabilizer and a battery tender on mine
, but haven't fired it up since...I want to but just figured what's the point except me loving my Akrapovic GP exhaust,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cold Riding

My R3 is my primary vehicle so I have been riding all winter except a few days of snow and ice. I used my wife's van for those days. The coldest ride so far this year was 15F. The only limiting factor is my hands. I haven't used heated gear but am considering some heated grips.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
My R3 is my primary vehicle so I have been riding all winter except a few days of snow and ice. I used my wife's van for those days. The coldest ride so far this year was 15F. The only limiting factor is my hands. I haven't used heated gear but am considering some heated grips.

Anything less than 45F is a no go for me... I don't see how people can ride in colder weather. If my hands or feet are cold it turns into a terrible ride. My mind is on being cold and not concentrating on the ride, conditions, vehicles around me, and etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 35 Posts