Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just a quick question here. I wired up two led strips on a simple on\off toggle switch the other day; do you think there is a need to wire in a fuse just in case? If so, is smaller maybe 10amp my best get or will any size due?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Hello all, just a quick question here. I wired up two led strips on a simple on\off toggle switch the other day; do you think there is a need to wire in a fuse just in case? If so, is smaller maybe 10amp my best get or will any size due?
I typically add an in-line fuse when I wire in lights. Fuse size is determined by the size wire you're using and not by what you're wiring in.
Also, I put my on/off switch on the negative wire and not the hot wire... not sure which side you put yours on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I will do some looking to see what size fuse to install. Also, I did wire the toggle to the negative- it seems like the safest get. One more question; is it safe to store spare wire in the box beneath the back seat? I have two 5' coils of 10 and 12ga line and a few spare fuses and connection pieces basically in a sandwich bag wrapped in a store bag until I can get a pelican bag

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I will do some looking to see what size fuse to install. Also, I did wire the toggle to the negative- it seems like the safest get. One more question; is it safe to store spare wire in the box beneath the back seat? I have two 5' coils of 10 and 12ga line and a few spare fuses and connection pieces basically in a sandwich bag wrapped in a store bag until I can get a pelican bag
I don't see why not. I kept my registration paperwork back there, along with a CruzTools Outback'r, a microfiber cloth and a few other things. I did keep my paperwork in a ziplock though, just to be sure things didn't get all wet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts