Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Forum, so I don't know all the ways to talk back and forth. I am looking for a stock front brake caliper bracket or the whole caliper if need be. Thanks for any feedback on getting back on the road that isn't going to cost hundreds for one part that isn't listed to buy anywhere that I can find.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my problem. I changed front fork oil and went to put the front caliper back on according to the service manual and the T50 bolt stripped the C shaped bracket that holds the caliper to the front fork. The part is number 6 on yamahapartshouse or any OEM supplier. The only way to get just the bracket is to pay $183.41 for a new caliper assembly from Procaliber. A side note; the service manual says to torque fork cap to 17 ft/lbs and throughout the forum I read 6ft/lbs. I wonder now about the 25ft/lbs torque according to the service manual for the T50 bolts may be to much. Do you have any advice for this predicament?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I just took a look at this situation. It's a situation.
That caliper bracket looks like it is not sold separately. Which amazes me. It is a separate part.
My question to you: is that bracket steel or aluminum?
It looks like a stamped steel part. It is close to the brake rotor, so it has no nut on the back.
The bracket itself is threaded. If it is aluminum, it would be softer. It should be steel, considering
it is holding the brake caliper. ( I didn't try sticking a magnet on it. )
The bracket does not look thick enough to do a Helicoil on it, and you can't stick a nut on the
backside of it, because it will hit the rotor. Yamaha should sell that part separately.
No idea why they don't.
:|

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
To my knowledge, stock configuration doesn't use a bracket, the caliper goes straight onto the fork.
Update your "knowledge". There is a bracket between the fork and the brake caliper.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Tomcat are you talking about this thing with the threads?

Not sure if I would call that a bracket, it looks to be part of the caliper itself. It's got the two springs on either side? Either way, a used caliper for the R3 is $9.99 and up on eBay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts