Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to find a set of race fairings for my '15 R3. I currently have a race tail and the OEM front fender, so I only really need the main upper and lower, but I'm open to buying a full set as well. It never hurts to have spares!

I'm not necessarily brand-specific, so if you have a set laying around that you're not using, I'm all ears! Let me know what you have!

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
72 Posts
My thinking after some research was that the Armour Bodies race bodywork holds up well and can hold up to crashes often. I bought mine from www.SuperbikeUnlimited.com cause they had them on sale for about 40 bucks cheaper than normal. The other one I was interested in was Sharkskinz but I am not sure they will be ready in time for our first scheduled race. I think any of the kits from armour Bodies come from Woodcraft though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
http://www.flexi-glass.com/

give them a call, they just finished making my set and Im picking the bike up next week. They do quality work and the owner makes a lot of fairings for motoamerica riders. Another plus is that he is located in canada so the cost will be cheaper than sharkskinz and hotbodies.

I'll post pics of my bike next week when I get the bike back

62 Posts

give them a call, they just finished making my set and Im picking the bike up next week. They do quality work and the owner makes a lot of fairings for motoamerica riders. Another plus is that he is located in canada so the cost will be cheaper than sharkskinz and hotbodies.

What did u charge shipped more less?

What came with the set ,what pieces?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I live down the street from them and they actually used my bike to make his compression mould I got a set for free. Not sure how much it would cost best is to give them a call. The set includes belly pan, upper fairing and tail section. He is painting my set right now once I have the bike back I will post pics.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thinking after some research was that the Armour Bodies race bodywork holds up well and can hold up to crashes often. I bought mine from www.SuperbikeUnlimited.com cause they had them on sale for about 40 bucks cheaper than normal. The other one I was interested in was Sharkskinz but I am not sure they will be ready in time for our first scheduled race. I think any of the kits from armour Bodies come from Woodcraft though.
Thank you very much for the insight. Armour Bodies is a route I'm heavily considering. I've had multiple people at the track see success with their bodywork holding up well, especially with lower speed offs. May I ask what your set cost shipped to your door?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Please post photos after you get them on the bike. I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the initial quality. I may touch base with them regarding cost after shipping. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you very much for the insight. Armour Bodies is a route I'm heavily considering. I've had multiple people at the track see success with their bodywork holding up well, especially with lower speed offs. May I ask what your set cost shipped to your door?
Sean, the set was 629.00 plus 65.00 shipping to the door and I opted to buy the 30.00 Dzus fastener kit they recommended.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Armour Bodies doesnt include a fuel tank cover or the side panels that go between the seat and fuel tank, you can use the stock ones. It also requires the use of the stock or an aftermarket front seat. It is a very nice set. Very sturdy and primered and ready for a light sanding before paint.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Armour Bodies doesnt include a fuel tank cover or the side panels that go between the seat and fuel tank, you can use the stock ones. It also requires the use of the stock or an aftermarket front seat. It is a very nice set. Very sturdy and primered and ready for a light sanding before paint.
Perfect, thank you for the great feedback. I'm starting to lean towards the Armour Bodies way. Still open to any used sets at a discount, though!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SBK and I have been doing a lot of bodywork research lately, and there's a lot more brands that carry our stuff than I expected.

Anyone have experience with Pro-Fiber? It looks like they have a good set for our bikes for a reasonable price (under $600 shipped). Plus, they include a race tail with the seat built in. Anyone have thoughts on them?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just to add to this, like I mentioned on the WERA forum, Motoxp Ricambi is another option that also has a superbike tail. Cost looks to be about $518 shipped to the US for a full unpainted set. They look great in pictures but no idea about the fit, overall quality or reviews from others. Still looking into that. I know for other bikes they also offer painting for maybe just a little more than it would cost me to paint them myself with spray cans, so that would be an attractive option as well....although they didn't have that option for the R3 listed on the site. May have to contact them for that. Here are the options I've seen so far:

- Hotbodies - $600 for a set give or take. No superbike tail but tank cover has an extension for the seat, so essentially the seat and tank cover are one unit.
- Pro Fiber - $560ish for a set shipped from Slovenia. Comes with superbike tail.
- Carbonin - $1035 for a set, shipped from Slovenia, although Hustle Hard Racing is the US distributor, so you can get it through them easier. Comes with superbike tail with slightly raised seat. Overall based on pictures and reviews this is the creme of the crop for race fairings. It's not the usual fiberglass stuff. Supposed to be lighter and more flexible, and the fit is spot on from what I've seen.
- Motoxp Ricambi - $518 shipped from Italy. Comes with superbike tail as well. See above for more info. MTR Cycles is also a dealer for these, and as I mentioned in that thread I made...use code "AV10" to get 10% off.
- Armour Bodies - $700-$800 or so for a set. Comes with regular supersport tail. Generally I've always heard good things about them, they're a well-known brand, associated with Woodcraft. I just wish they made a superbike tail.
- Catalyst - $915 for a set (at least from STG). Comes with regular supersport tail as well. Catalyst makes good stuff, I've seen them on other bikes, they're just expensive.
- Sharkskins supposedly still working on it, they have not released a set for the R3 but when they do I imagine they'll be similar to Catalyst on price and quality just like for other bikes.
- Sebimoto....this one is questionable. Looks good and cheap but the pictures they have of all the different are the EXACT same pictures that Motoxp Ricambi has on their site. So not really sure what's going on there, if someone's using someone else's pictures and the product is way different or if they're really the same thing sold under 2 different names. No idea.

Reactions: feelgood156

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to add to this, like I mentioned on the WERA forum, Motoxp Ricambi is another option that also has a superbike tail. Cost looks to be about $518 shipped to the US for a full unpainted set. They look great in pictures but no idea about the fit, overall quality or reviews from others. Still looking into that. I know for other bikes they also offer painting for maybe just a little more than it would cost me to paint them myself with spray cans, so that would be an attractive option as well....although they didn't have that option for the R3 listed on the site. May have to contact them for that. Here are the options I've seen so far:

- Hotbodies - $600 for a set give or take. No superbike tail but tank cover has an extension for the seat, so essentially the seat and tank cover are one unit.
- Pro Fiber - $560ish for a set shipped from Slovenia. Comes with superbike tail.
- Carbonin - $1035 for a set, shipped from Slovenia, although Hustle Hard Racing is the US distributor, so you can get it through them easier. Comes with superbike tail with slightly raised seat. Overall based on pictures and reviews this is the creme of the crop for race fairings. It's not the usual fiberglass stuff. Supposed to be lighter and more flexible, and the fit is spot on from what I've seen.
- Motoxp Ricambi - $518 shipped from Italy. Comes with superbike tail as well. See above for more info. MTR Cycles is also a dealer for these, and as I mentioned in that thread I made...use code "AV10" to get 10% off.
- Armour Bodies - $700-$800 or so for a set. Comes with regular supersport tail. Generally I've always heard good things about them, they're a well-known brand, associated with Woodcraft. I just wish they made a superbike tail.
- Catalyst - $915 for a set (at least from STG). Comes with regular supersport tail as well. Catalyst makes good stuff, I've seen them on other bikes, they're just expensive.
- Sharkskins supposedly still working on it, they have not released a set for the R3 but when they do I imagine they'll be similar to Catalyst on price and quality just like for other bikes.
- Sebimoto....this one is questionable. Looks good and cheap but the pictures they have of all the different are the EXACT same pictures that Motoxp Ricambi has on their site. So not really sure what's going on there, if someone's using someone else's pictures and the product is way different or if they're really the same thing sold under 2 different names. No idea.
That's got to be one of the best summaries of the current bodywork available for our bikes. Only suggestion to mention would be the the Hotbodies tank/seat combo is another $200 on top of the base set. Also, on the Armour Bodies set, the cheapest advertised price I've seen is $629 from superbikeunlimited.com. Shipping is roughly $65 which brings the total to about $695 shipped. Not too bad for Armour Bodies stuff.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sharkskinz has made the molds for their bodywork. I haven't got a price from them yet, but they have sent me pictures. I'll be ordering a set from them soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Holy tall seat and tank cover! LOL

I can't decide if that looks cool or ridiculous. I may have to think about it some more lol. I like that it covers the side areas where normally you'd have those 2 plastic panels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy tall seat and tank cover! LOL

I can't decide if that looks cool or ridiculous. I may have to think about it some more lol. I like that it covers the side areas where normally you'd have those 2 plastic panels.
Haha I agree! Kind of reminds me of a rhino or something in that color. Painted up, I could see it looking pretty sweet, though.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe they are the same as the original Graves R3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Haha I agree! Kind of reminds me of a rhino or something in that color. Painted up, I could see it looking pretty sweet, though.
Lol it does look like a baby rhino! haha....personally I'd still rather have a regular tank cover and a superbike tail instead of the supersport tail with a giant tank cover that extend to the seat.

62 Posts

I think the sharks are around 800, and will raise the seat height which is what you need if racing, etc.

I will prolly go with the MotoX stuff, the price is right and I have seen their CF bodywork and its great fit and finish.

But in the meantime, I am looking for a used set....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts