Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting a set of BLACK R3 wheels. I have some nice blue ones, but I'm wanting to change the color scheme on my bike for the track and black would look better, I think. I looked at getting the blue ones powder coated, but the shop wants $150 per wheel. I can get brand new wheels for $230-$270 from ProCaliber (I know it doesn't include bearings, etc). Just considering options. I could paint the ones I have, but I'd rather not. If I can't find some decent used ones I'll probably go with the powder coat.

I'm in northern VA.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ever consider plastidip? I've seen lots of plastidip colored bikes, rims, and cars and done right, look good. Plus a can is cheap and removable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I check eBay all the time, but as many have already noted, prices for R3 parts on eBay are, IMHO, crazy. There are/were a couple of rims on there with tires for $300-$350! A) They're used tires, and prob not what I'm going to want to run on the track. B) The one for $350 is a FRONT wheel, and has a bolt sheared off in one of the mounting holes. C) I can get a new REAR rim from ProCaliber for $270 (front is $230), mount my own choice of tire, and not have to drill out a busted bolt. For $150-$200 shipped or picked up, sure, I might considerer used/abused if it's still straight. $350? Pass. I'd put new bearings in the wheel anyway unless it had verified history off a low mile bike. so the stripped/new option doesn't bug me too much. I don't know. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. But to me it's dumb to pay more for a used part than a new one. And ProCaliber ships free.

I considered plasti-dip. I've seen some pretty good looking PD projects out there. I'm not so worried about removable, just want it to be durable. Don't want to have to do a refinish every time I put on a new set of track tires. I might play with it for a short term fix until I can find some black rims. Like you say, it's removable, so if I hate it no harm done!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've seen a few pop up for ~100 bucks in the past as I was considering a spare set myself. Just checked now and it does seem like people have lost their minds. Thought it was just fairings that were sky high...

Anyway, plastidip would be reasonably durable on a track, it's nostly just rocks and **** that would be an issue which is pretty mitigated on the track.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd think. But the DPBM is blue. Not sure why the black isn't cheaper.

Color Codes for the parts pages:
Deep Purplish Blue Metallic (DPBM)
Low Gloss Black (LGB)
Dull Red Solid (DRSC)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been looking for other wheels that would work instead of the original R3 wheels. I don't want bigger/wider. Just the same size, bolt-on compatible from other Yamaha bikes, or even another make. Aftermarket is out, because I'm not interested in spending over $1000 for wheels. But even a different spoke configuration would be cool.

So far, no luck. I might start another thread for discussion instead of this being at the bottom of a classifieds thread.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I looked all over the place for another set, but ended up getting new OEM wheels for something like $650. I figured (stupidly) that when you ordered a wheel, it came complete with bearing and seals. Wrong. About $400 in bearings, seals, rotors, nuts and bolts later, I had 2 new wheels. Kill me now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i looked all over the place for another set, but ended up getting new oem wheels for something like $650. I figured (stupidly) that when you ordered a wheel, it came complete with bearing and seals. Wrong. About $400 in bearings, seals, rotors, nuts and bolts later, i had 2 new wheels. Kill me now.

ouch!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts