Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,
Im new rider, purchasing my first bike. Chose the R3, pretty excited about it.
Yamha has this spring promotion where if you buy a new bike you can get either
1. 400$ credit on Yamaha Accessories
or
2. free 12 months of yamaha protection plus warranty that kicks in after the standard 1 year warranty ends.

I woudl like to ask the experienced Yamaha riders out there, which is the better deal and why you think that to help me decide?

Also I know that I will need to put regular maintenace on the bike , probably take it to the dealer to do it. Thinks like the oil changes, and whatever they do for that 1000km inspection and chaing adjustment etc...
The salesmen told me that first checkup /change on the 1000k is probably the most expensive ~ 200$.

SO secondly I am wondering does warranty cover any service maintenance?

thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
$200 for your break in service is a rip off. You can DIY for less than $50 and its extremely easy, requiring basic knowledge of how to use a wrench, lol. I spent about $85 on a rear stand, 4L of Yamalube, a new filter, and a chain cleaning brush + lube and degreaser and did my break-in and second service myself with no issues.

As far as which option to choose, personally I would go with the warranty. Yamaha's extended warranty is $400 for 4 years (after your 1 year expires) so the value is the same. I don't really think there is even $400 in Yamaha merchandise that I would want to buy, or at least that I would find more valuable than an extended warranty. It won't cover basic maintenance like oil changes and stuff but if anything horrible goes wrong in the first 4 years then you are all set. I'd rather spend $400 for the peace of mind than on knick-knacks that you can get cheaper on eBay or from other vendors. Also, if a big issue does come up with your bike, you might end up saving a ton of money if you have that warranty.

Just my .02 of course, you do what you think is best for you! Just realize that 1) your dealer charging $200 is bullshit and you should really try and DIY and 2) the $400 credit and extended warranty are about the same value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Aeson, Vercify for your input.

I am leaning toward s the warranty. My first bike , and i dont really feel a need for accesseories yet. This is just my starter bike, not my dream bike and have to idea what i like and dont like. Just looking forward to mastering bike riding.

to be clear they only offer free extended warranty of an extra year after the initial year. So total of 2 years.

Yes it must be a canada thing. the offer is advertised on thier *.ca site.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I only leaned toward accessories because $400 for 1 year of warranty is a ripoff... Of course, $400 of accessories on Yamaha's site is probably only $150-$200 on Amazon, so it's a wash either way.
If you have no need for things like bike covers, rear cowls, sliders, etc.. go for the warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Heh. I'd take neither and ask for $400 off the bike. Barring that, probably the warranty since yamahammah's gear MSRP is going to eat through that 400 in no time. Congrats on your first bike!

-gsr

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hmm. Gsr. I crazy old street rossi who starving. I take $400.. Just for one decent helmet.. Just once.. Aww, yes, still in the box, doesnt smell, or give me helmet rash.. And it actually fits and protects my head.. Ya.. That would be nice..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah u fill 'em with snacks and it's like a ghetto air vest, assuming you like soft snacks like gummy bears and chips.

If you like granola bars and assorted nuts, you're going to have a bad time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts