Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts

As we wait for the R3 to finally hit dealer rooms, I thought it would be interesting to try to elucidate how successful it will be by looking at the launch of its little sibling the Yamaha R25 in Indonesia.

In Indonesia the R25 has met with sales success far more than what was expected. In the first 25 hours that the bike was available for ordering, 2,800 bookings were made. That is about a quarter of the expected 12,000 sales for the entire year. Needless to say, that is far more than Yamaha could have hoped for. A R25 can make its way through the assembly line in just 3 minutes, but that isn't fast enough to satisfy demand for Indonesia. Consequently, export of the R25 has been delayed to keep up with domestic demand.

Now let me link this discussion back to the R3. Despite having less displacement, the R25 still competes with the Kawasaki Ninja 300 and the Honda CBR300R. The R3 will be competing against these bikes when it gets released in as well. I think given the similar cast of competitors in both markets, and also considering the R3 will have more displacement than the R25, we could see a greater demand than expected for the R3 when it does finally make it into showrooms.

Do you think that there is any more information that we can glean about the R3 by looking into R25 sales? How successful do you think that the R3 will be considering the success of the R25 in Indonesia?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds awesome! I wouldn't doubt they want to release the R3 for USA/EU since sales are going so well for Indonesia. 300cc are major thing for USA/EU.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder how closely Indonesian motorcycle preferences are mirrored by Americans. Do you think that just because the R3 is successful in Indonesia it will be successful in NA?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Correct, you really can't compared them because like half the population rides lol....but we will say NA\EU has a higher buyer rate of 300cc then any cc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If 300cc bikes are most popular in NA then the R3 should do really well here. Is Indonesia the type of place where one motorcycle fits the entire 6 member family on it?

Example:

·
Registered
23 Posts
If 300cc bikes are most popular in NA then the R3 should do really well here. Is Indonesia the type of place where one motorcycle fits the entire 6 member family on it?

Example:
Riding and talking on a cell phone!!! At least they are all wearing helmets. Probably not dot approved but still a helmet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not bad at all for that market.
What will be interesting is seeing what modificiations these guys do and how far they take it, i know they can go crazy (the good kind ;) ) with their bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think there are probably going to be several riders in NA who have just been waiting for the right entry level Yamaha. Maybe I am just a fanboy, but I prefer the styling to the ninja, and more power is always nice. Their formula is off to a good start, I just hope the bike rides as well as it should. If it does, I see no reason why it won't be one of NA's best selling bikes of 2015

·
Registered
222 Posts
My guess is that the R3 will be popular but not quite as popular as some other bikes like the new Ninja 300 for 2013 and 2014, or the 2014 Honda Grom. I am going by all the people who pre-ordered those 2 bikes and the traffic on the forums, and heavy advertising for the Ninja 300. Remember how they counted down to reveal the Ninja 300 and 636 in a big spectacle? Honda also marketed the Grom like Iphones by only putting one or two per dealership, so the demand remained high for the entire year. There finally are a few more in dealers now. Ninja 300 was similar in that when you called the dealer, they would tell you they had one in and it sold the same day and they were expecting another in any day...one at a time would show up. I guess that was a marketing ploy to keep the supply low so the bikes would command the highest price possible. Anyway, I expect if you really want an R3, you probably should put a deposit on one. I can't because I need to trade a bike in when I buy mine, so I'll have to wait until one shows up at the dealer. With the Ninja 300 and Honda 300s already out, Yamaha is a little late to the game, but the bike looks very good on paper and should sell well, perhaps even to the point that you might be waiting a long time if you want one. Suddenly, Yamaha has one of the best lineup of bikes including the new FZ07 and FZ09.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think there are probably going to be several riders in NA who have just been waiting for the right entry level Yamaha. Maybe I am just a fanboy, but I prefer the styling to the ninja, and more power is always nice. Their formula is off to a good start, I just hope the bike rides as well as it should. If it does, I see no reason why it won't be one of NA's best selling bikes of 2015
For me styling on Ninja's have been one of the reasons i have liked them more than CBR's, fortunately for people that like CBR's... the 250 and 300 are starting to look better...before 250's looked really dinky, dinky enough that i'd only find it acceptable to ride at a riders training course :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.. I am an American working in indonesia, and I was one of the first people to get my hands on the R25 the day it was made available. I don't think the popularity the bike has exerpeienced here will have any relation to how it will fare back home. I say that because here.. A 250 yamaha is new.. It's different than the typical ninja 250 that has been around for years. Also, 250cc is the limit here.. Above that you are hit with all sorts of taxes that prevent the normal people from buying them. For example.. In the United States I have two yamaha YZFR1's, a 2007 and a 2013.. I paid $10,500 for the 13 and I paid $6500 for the 2007.. I went to a yamaha dealership in Bali that had a 2014 r1 in stock and the sticker price was 300,000,000 IDR(Indonesian rupiah) that converts to approximately $27,000 USD.. So essentially we back home are able to get our hands on "real motorcycles" at far more reasonable prices back home. This is a great bike to teach someone to ride with, or to race if that's your thing.. I just use it as a toy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts