Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have recently bought and installed the new Akrapovic Racing line (carbon) system and though you might appreciate a brief sound comparison with the stock system :)

Click here for the youtube video

Reactions: R3-D3 and Gizmo

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sounds and looks great! Did it come with that protector or did you add it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds and looks really nice! Thanks for the comparisons, but, if you do make another, try to record the sounds in a more open area? The brick walls of the house and fencing can cause the sound waves to distort.

Still, a great video with the three set-ups and announcing the RPMs is a smart touch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds and looks great! Did it come with that protector or did you add it?
Cheers mate! the R&G Exhaust protector was an add on. Link: http://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Exhaust_Protectors/Yamaha/XT660R/EP0008BK/

Sounds and looks really nice! Thanks for the comparisons, but, if you do make another, try to record the sounds in a more open area? The brick walls of the house and fencing can cause the sound waves to distort.

Still, a great video with the three set-ups and announcing the RPMs is a smart touch.
Thank you!

Sounds like a great idea, I was also hesitant to rev it higher since the elderly neighbours were gardening >:D
I have 3 friends that have the other 3 exhausts: Akra gp slip on, M4 SS & Akra Stainless full system. I will try and do a collaboration and collective sound test with them in an open space!

Looks good. Now peel that warning sticker off your tank!
Christ, didn't even notice it was there LOL. I'll deal with it tonight with a hair dryer :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice. I had the Akra full SS exhaust which I loved, but it was made originally for the 250. The new one was explicitly made for the R3, and man it is beautiful. Doesn't sound as throaty or loud, which is a good thing. It's pricey, but ****, you get what you pay for sometimes. I love my M4 otherwise I would have gotten the Akrapovic full carbon.

I have an R&G protector too. It's freaking expensive for what it is, but it does provide excellent protection. Some ahole knocked my bike over and my exhaust would have been scratched and dented if I didn't have the R&G exhaust protector. I highly recommend it. That exhaust is really awesome looking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice. I had the Akra full SS exhaust which I loved, but it was made originally for the 250. The new one was explicitly made for the R3, and man it is beautiful. Doesn't sound as throaty or loud, which is a good thing. It's pricey, but ****, you get what you pay for sometimes. I love my M4 otherwise I would have gotten the Akrapovic full carbon.

I have an R&G protector too. It's freaking expensive for what it is, but it does provide excellent protection. Some ahole knocked my bike over and my exhaust would have been scratched and dented if I didn't have the R&G exhaust protector. I highly recommend it. That exhaust is really awesome looking.
I have a question for you, if you love your M4 why would you buy the Akrapovic instead? I'm debating between the 2.;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a question for you, if you love your M4 why would you buy the Akrapovic instead? I'm debating between the 2.;)
Well, here goes. Akrapovic is a big and well-known company, and very reputable. M4 is lesser known, but still a very good and its products are widely rider adopted-I'd say it's kind of upstart, if you will. As far as R3 exhausts, the M4 is widely used and tested, and therefore adopted due to testing and value. @SpearsRacing uses it and contributed to the design I believe (Gregg can correct me), and @jbluetooth Jesse went to an M4 after using an Akrapovic SS full system, which underperformed on the R3 as it was designed originally for the R25-the likely cause was the narrower headers. At $600, the M4 offers great value and quality at the price point, and as testing has shown, one of the best performance upgrades compared to other full exhausts. Now I really like Akrapovic. Do I have the new exhaust? No. Will I. Probably not. I still like it. Do I know if it performs better? Likely. Really, it comes down to price and which one you like. The M4 is available in SS, Carbon, and Titanium, while the Akrapovic is carbon only and around $130 more. I really think it is a beautiful exhaust. Again, I had the SS Akrapovic full exhaust and recently transitioned to the M4, so I have no plans or thoughts of changing or trading. Either choice, or the Yosh is a fine choice in my opinion.

Much thanks to @jbluetooth Jesse's exhaustive (no pun intended) testing and write up on different R3 exhaust systems and electronic fuel injection controllers. It should shed some light on the subject and expound on some of what I wrote. Here is Jesse's awesome blog post on Exhausts, etc:

Yamaha R3 dyno results, how much power does it make? What is the best exhaust? Power Commander vs. Bazzaz?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts