Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a new rider, with the r3 being my first bike. 6,000 miles in and I need to change the break pads, front and back (yeah I may rely on my breaks too much :D). Is this something a beginner can do? I've changed the pads on my car before and that wasn't too hard. I just do not feel like handing over another arm and a leg to the dealer who charges me way too much for simple things.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Hello all. I'm a new rider, with the r3 being my first bike. 6,000 miles in and I need to change the break pads, front and back (yeah I may rely on my breaks too much :D). Is this something a beginner can do? I've changed the pads on my car before and that wasn't too hard. I just do not feel like handing over another arm and a leg to the dealer who charges me way too much for simple things.
STG has front and rear rotor replacement videos and I those, they also discuss and show the removal of the calipers and brake pads.
This may help you out a little.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjD8v2Pbvvc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want to break pads ? :D

Sorry, small pet peeve is the spelling of brakes.

ie Brake - is the item that stops your bike.

Break - means to destroy something.

Lesson over!

>:D>:D>:D
I deserved that, all things considered I'd hope I would've caught that mistake on my own. I do know the difference between the two as I hope most 20 something year olds would. Anywho, thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is anyone looking for stock brake pads? I'll sell you mine for cheap, I've upgraded to race pads since I take my bike to the track.
Dang just had the dealership order me some because CycleGear still didn't have any for the r3... cost me about $80 :crying:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I havent changed mine yet, but im going to look at galfer, versah and ebc. I use ebc on my cars, so id like to but them for my bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Vesrah sintered brake pads are awesome. I have then on the front. The rear bites hard even with stock pads and rubber brake line.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Be aware that each manufacturer often offers different levels of brake pads at different price points. I love EBC extreme pro's but hate the regular EBC HH's. Vesrah RJL's are great on my ninja 300 and I've got a set ready to go on my R3

·
Registered
103 Posts
They ordered oem, but I haven't picked them up yet. Any recommendation on what kind I should get?
I recently purchased a few items from Jesse @ R3racing and the brake pads are one of those items.
http://www.yamahar3racing.com/product/vesrah-rjl-brake-pads-yamaha-r3-2015/
I am yet to put these on as they arrived in the mail yesterday and installed my brake and clutch levers today and didn't have much time after installing them. I will be considering tackling installing these along with my air filter and braided brake line tomorrow after my errands. And will let you know how they go in the next few weeks (when I get around to installing them if I can't do it tomorrow).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts