Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im currently working on the upgrade from a 2015 to a 2022. I am replacing the tank, cowling and front assembly. I need some help with the harness connection for head lights since Gen1 is only 2 pins and Gen 2 has 5 pins. has anyone made the speedo work from Gen 2 into a Gen1? If so any pictures of the re-pinning?

thanks in advance

· Super Moderator
525 Posts
I don't want to be "that guy", but if you use the search feature on this site, you will find your answer. My understanding, is that YES it can be done. There are several posts from people trying to do exactly what you are. I own several track-only R3's. My personal opinion is the dash on the first generation, is a much easier interface to read "at-a-glance"... I much prefer my first generation dash (for my purposes). The second generation dash has the appearance of being more "modern". I think Yamaha got it right the first time, but for marketing reasons- they updated the styling of the R3 to look more like the R6/R7/R1. Probably a smart move from a marketing standpoint :cool:-

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
As many have pointed out, it would be better for a number of reasons to just get a 2019+ than to go through the trouble of converting a 1st gen over.

For one, cost would be significantly cheaper to sell, and buy a used 2nd gen. Then there's the sheer amount of work that would be required. Plus, theres some additional benefits, such as the vastly improved handling of the forks on the 2nd gen, slightly better ergo, improved looks, newer bike also usually meaning less miles and longer lasting.

However, of course as always do you.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the feedback, I got this bike a few years ago, it was almost new with very few miles and at a very great price, I love working on my bikes and consider this as my hobby. The parts for the R3 are very cheap not like the R1 or bigger bikes, plus I get a distributor discount.
We decided to buy the parts and they fit perfect w/out much investment. My whole family rides (my wife, and my 3 children) so when the time comes any my older girl (11) can reach this R3 it will be hers to ride with us. As well the used faring's tank and lights will be sold since they are like new condition.
I'm getting close to get this job done with the headlights but wanted to see if anyone have done it and had an actual video or picture from their connections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts