Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about these? They are selling them on Amazon and Ebay for 50.00 and wondered if anyone got them and how they would install.

T-Rex Racing 2015-on Yamaha R3 Lowering Links.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have had this on for about a week now. Previously had the JP Cycles Grom/Chief shock on, which lowered the bike too much for my liking. My estimation is about 1.5" lower as quoted. You will have to trim about 1" off the plastic mud guard to make room for the repositioning. Also per the instructions, you should remove the rear wheel. Doing this would probably make the install much easier. But I don't like doing anything the easy way. Removed the JP shock, reinstalled the stock shock w/T-Rex link all without removing the wheel. It was a b**** but my hard head knew I could do it.

Only had the chance to put on 50 miles or so after install. The ride appears no different than original. After a few more miles I will be checking the nuts and bolts for tightness.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have had this on for about a week now. Previously had the JP Cycles Grom/Chief shock on, which lowered the bike too much for my liking. My estimation is about 1.5" lower as quoted. You will have to trim about 1" off the plastic mud guard to make room for the repositioning. Also per the instructions, you should remove the rear wheel. Doing this would probably make the install much easier. But I don't like doing anything the easy way. Removed the JP shock, reinstalled the stock shock w/T-Rex link all without removing the wheel. It was a b**** but my hard head knew I could do it.

Only had the chance to put on 50 miles or so after install. The ride appears no different than original. After a few more miles I will be checking the nuts and bolts for tightness.
Did you have to shorten the kick stand?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you have to shorten the kick stand?
Yep, sure did. Found a used one on Ebay before installing the JP shock. Had a friend at our neighbor CNC shop rework the length. Explained to him what I wanted (remove 1.5") and why (gunna lower my bike). He cut out the 1.5" between the foot and the spring attachment, then took it upon himself to insert a solid steel rod inside the hollow tube. Removed my original stand so we could match positions and angles side by side. Drilled and inserted three pins, welded it all up, grinded it smooth, and painted it black. Bad news was it still wasn't short enough after installing the JP shock which brought the seat down 2.5 to 3 inches from stock. Although it did work, the bike stood too vertical for my comfort. Rode like this for about a week before ordering the T-Rex link and reinstalling the stock shock. The seat is now about 1.5 inch lower and has the natural lean when on the side stand.

Moral of the story: T-Rex lowering link, 1.5" removal from stand will work. JP Cycles shock, you will need to remove just about all the material between the foot and spring attachment.

Randy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, sure did. Found a used one on Ebay before installing the JP shock. Had a friend at our neighbor CNC shop rework the length. Explained to him what I wanted (remove 1.5") and why (gunna lower my bike). He cut out the 1.5" between the foot and the spring attachment, then took it upon himself to insert a solid steel rod inside the hollow tube. Removed my original stand so we could match positions and angles side by side. Drilled and inserted three pins, welded it all up, grinded it smooth, and painted it black. Bad news was it still wasn't short enough after installing the JP shock which brought the seat down 2.5 to 3 inches from stock. Although it did work, the bike stood too vertical for my comfort. Rode like this for about a week before ordering the T-Rex link and reinstalling the stock shock. The seat is now about 1.5 inch lower and has the natural lean when on the side stand.

Moral of the story: T-Rex lowering link, 1.5" removal from stand will work. JP Cycles shock, you will need to remove just about all the material between the foot and spring attachment.

Randy
Awesome, just what i needed to know thanks for the help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just found out that T-Rex-racing will be selling the lower kickstand for the R3 next week sometime so I wont have to cut the factory one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just found out that T-Rex-racing will be selling the lower kickstand for the R3 next week sometime so I wont have to cut the factory one.
Both their website and Ebay listings mention lowered side stand when viewing the page for the R3 lowering link. I could not find the exact one on either so I messaged T-Rex and asked if the side stand was available. Freddys response was "R3 Lowering Link is available, would you like a invoice for the needed amount?"

I guess he didn't read the question thoroughly. After a few more exchanges Martin replied "Hi, it looks like we don't have kickstands for the R3".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both their website and Ebay listings mention lowered side stand when viewing the page for the R3 lowering link. I could not find the exact one on either so I messaged T-Rex and asked if the side stand was available. Freddys response was "R3 Lowering Link is available, would you like a invoice for the needed amount?"

I guess he didn't read the question thoroughly. After a few more exchanges Martin replied "Hi, it looks like we don't have kickstands for the R3".
I spoke to Martin today and he spoke to his manager, his manager said they should be available in about a week.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I spoke to Martin today and he spoke to his manager, his manager said they should be available in about a week.
Good to know. In any case, I'm getting away with a cost of only $30 for a complete factory side stand. And I have my original intact as a backup.

Keep us updated when you receive it and post some pictures!

Randy

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a T-rex adjustable kick stand on my cbr250r and it is a quality piece. It allows you to easily adjust the height lower, same, or higher than stock. Hopefully the r3 version will be just as good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When putting on the lowering links, did you also lower the front? I'd do it myself but I'm just afraid I'll mess up something because I don't know anyone that has this sort of knowledge. So, I'm asking around motorcycle shops. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When putting on the lowering links, did you also lower the front? I'd do it myself but I'm just afraid I'll mess up something because I don't know anyone that has this sort of knowledge. So, I'm asking around motorcycle shops. Fingers crossed.
Yes, I did it myself with the basic hand tools, rear pit bull and floor jack. Not difficult by any means. The front is by far easier than the rear because you are not removing, replacing or adding anything. I'm guessing any motorcycle shop has and can lower the front. Check out this thread, it has several tutorials and a video by mattwho777.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/713-yamaha-r3-how-diy/3858-can-lowered.html

Randy

·
Registered
55 Posts
A shop agreed to lower it for me using the T-Rex R3 Lowering Links. I was under the impression it could not be lowered with links, so I don't know how these work. But, they've seen the part online and have agreed to do it if I bring it in, so I'm assuming they know what they need to do haha. Now, just hoping T Rex finally carries the kickstand too!

EDIT: Called T-Rex, the kickstands probably won't be available for 4-6 weeks. They have to speak with their technicians. Kind of frustrating they claim they have it on their website, but they're not even in production yet.

Does this kickstand look like it'll work?

http://soupysperformance.com/r3-adjustable-kickstand-side-stand.html

It's really pricey though.. Any suggestions? Man, the more I look into this lowering job, the more I want to say screw it I'll take my chances with being on my toes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A shop agreed to lower it for me using the T-Rex R3 Lowering Links. I was under the impression it could not be lowered with links, so I don't know how these work. But, they've seen the part online and have agreed to do it if I bring it in, so I'm assuming they know what they need to do haha. Now, just hoping T Rex finally carries the kickstand too!

EDIT: Called T-Rex, the kickstands probably won't be available for 4-6 weeks. They have to speak with their technicians. Kind of frustrating they claim they have it on their website, but they're not even in production yet.

Does this kickstand look like it'll work?

http://soupysperformance.com/r3-adjustable-kickstand-side-stand.html

It's really pricey though.. Any suggestions? Man, the more I look into this lowering job, the more I want to say screw it I'll take my chances with being on my toes.
Saw that stand on Ebay early into the lowering project, and the price made me look into more economical ways. Believe it or not, it was cheaper by a few dollars when it first came out. Not sure if the image is of the actual stand as it looks exactly the same for different bikes. Knowing that I could have my buddy cut and weld for free made it an easy choice. There are many used (for a reasonable price) kickstands out there on Ebay that you can purchase and have reworked. If patience is a concern, have your original stand reworked while the bike is in down condition at the shop getting lowered.

In any case, hang in there.

Randy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks, Randy! We shall see in a few weeks if I've just wasted a bunch of money or if I've just made a big decision to make the bike more me. I also purchased a brake and clutch lever set, seems to be hit or miss with these economically priced levers, but they have great reviews on Amazon with their other Yamaha R-Series levers (of course there were no reviews for the R3 levers yet). I don't really like the stock levers. They feel too bulky for my small hands. Anyway, hanging in there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 5"6 and can only flat foot the front half when both feet are on the ground, so I'm also really interested in the
T-Rex lowering links but since I live in Asia I need to be sure it worked before I place an order.
o please do update with pictures guys, I'll really appreciate it. :D

Yes, I did it myself with the basic hand tools, rear pit bull and floor jack. Not difficult by any means. The front is by far easier than the rear because you are not removing, replacing or adding anything. I'm guessing any motorcycle shop has and can lower the front. Check out this thread, it has several tutorials and a video by mattwho777.

Randy
May I ask how much you lowered the front end? thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm 5"6 and can only flat foot the front half when both feet are on the ground, so I'm also really interested in the
T-Rex lowering links but since I live in Asia I need to be sure it worked before I place an order.
o please do update with pictures guys, I'll really appreciate it. :D

May I ask how much you lowered the front end? thanks

I'm the same, 5'5" and can not flat foot whatsoever (long torso, short legs). I first tried some $16 shoe inserts that made me 1.5" taller, and they seemed to do to the job if you have the inserts in tall boots that fit loosely. The insert set-up though does not seem all that secure, and I know personally if I'm not 100% confident, then it's not as fun for me.

So, I'm going ahead and having a motorcycle shop lower my bike this Friday using the T-Rex Links and Soupy's adjustable Kickstand (which, not to be picky, but it is a really ugly kickstand, thinking I may ask them to color it black, so it's less noticeable). I'll definitely post with updates once it's finished.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts