Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
...Or you could transplant a Banshee motor. 350 cc 2-stroke carburated parallel twin. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
The bike is fast enough for me. But... the impulse to tinker with it and do neat things is always there. Been a fan of Megasquirt systems for quite a while... so perhaps one of these could be put on, combined with a megasquirt to handle fuel/spark control...

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/

There are some ninja 250s out there with these on it... so it is possible. Of course all the debbie downers are gonna come along and say well you gotta build up the bottom of the engine and work on the heads and blah blah blah. True. This little engine probably won't handle much boost... but then again it might not be able to spin a turbo up very high to get a whole lot of boost.. So if just a touch more power in the upper band is what you're after.. maybe 4-5psi is all you need? To me the glory would come not in the dyno numbers but in being able to say you put your own turbo setup on an R3... I'd have to have the intake coming out the side to a 90degree elbow with a cone filter facing forward.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The bike is fast enough for me. But... the impulse to tinker with it and do neat things is always there. Been a fan of Megasquirt systems for quite a while... so perhaps one of these could be put on, combined with a megasquirt to handle fuel/spark control...

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/

There are some ninja 250s out there with these on it... so it is possible. Of course all the debbie downers are gonna come along and say well you gotta build up the bottom of the engine and work on the heads and blah blah blah. True. This little engine probably won't handle much boost... but then again it might not be able to spin a turbo up very high to get a whole lot of boost.. So if just a touch more power in the upper band is what you're after.. maybe 4-5psi is all you need? To me the glory would come not in the dyno numbers but in being able to say you put your own turbo setup on an R3... I'd have to have the intake coming out the side to a 90degree elbow with a cone filter facing forward.
Same here, i'm itching for more speed but if I do finally decide to make that move i figured it will be best to do a full upgrade to more CC's

·
Registered
16 Posts
YZF-R3T turbo

First of all,the man behind this project
the master of metal arts,guru of cnc machine,crazy engineer
Nicola Bragagnolo

·
Registered
16 Posts
The project is simple,in theory,put the turbo on a R3,develop in two versions streetlegal and racing
For now this is the street version,the YZF-R3T

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't have any clue about turbos but would it not run off of just one cylinder's exhaust? Is there too much velocity lost if you were to put it after the 2-into-1 joint say under the bike or on the side?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't have any clue about turbos but would it not run off of just one cylinder's exhaust?
No,primary manifold it's a 2 in 1,no fluss loss
60hp it's not enough for you ? :eek:

Is there too much velocity lost if you were to put it after the 2-into-1 joint say under the bike or on the side?
Probably, doing this gains to much weight and spoil the aereodynamics of the bike
Front it's the best position for cool the turbo also it's virtually invisible

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not worth the time and money. Its still a cool project if you want 60 hp go with a FZ06 or FZ07

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not worth the time and money. Its still a cool project if you want 60 hp go with a FZ06 or FZ07
You may think it's not worth the time and money but to some other it is because have you even considered things like not everyone liking the look or style of a MT-07 (FZ-07) because of simple reasons such as it being a naked bike which means at speed there is no wind protection?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let the numbers talk
fz07 (mt07 here in europe) weigth 179kg,69,8 Hp,top speed 199,4 kmh,price 7195 euro
yzf-r3 original,weight 169 kg,42Hp,top speed 185,07 kmh,price 5395 euro
Yzf-r3T,weight 167 kg,60Hp,top speed more than 200 kmh and a entire race season (street legal turbo R3+race fairing+racing tires+paddock+assistance) cost 9600 euro,you have to pay just the fuel
Have you ever try to use a fz07 at top speed for more than one miles ? you do? :eek:
you are superman !

ot,here in Italy i take a ticket only if excess 94 mph/150 kmh:Dand my everiday road it's the same there Ferrari,Pagani,Lambo test the machine and is,for a "police agreement",whitout speed control :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts