Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I have a 2016 Yamaha R3 & whenever I insert the key to turn on the bike nothing happens. All the gauges, speedometer, lights stay off.
I have Charged the battery & tendered it throughout winter so far, and still nothing.
I recently just changed the battery to a brand new one, still the same result.

HOWEVER:

The moment I slightly turn the handlebars on the bike, suddenly everything turns on normally. Lights, Speedometer, etc.
The R3 will even turn on and run idly if I start the engine.

But the moment I turn the Handlebars slightly again, everything turns off.

I can't ride the bike either since the moment I sit on it and try to take it for a spin it will turn off at the slightest movement of the handlebars.

I will post a link here (If I'm allowed) to show a video of exactly what I mean.
Yamaha R3 Start Issues <- that is the link to it. if for some reason you can't see it please let me know!

I want to get the communities opinion before I take it to the shop and get handed a hefty bill to what could have been an easy fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some electrical wire must be loose or torn near the handlebars. I'm sure you checked already, but I'd follow all wires connected to the controls.
I figured I should do that, which, come to find that this cable has been torn.
I wiggled that cable and the bike started for a minute but then inevitably shut off and now it won't turn back on lol

How to fix this situation is now the question I have.
There's not many forums that explain how to but I'm going to have to do a lot of research to figure this out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
183 Posts
If replacing the harness is not an option I would use a crimper to crimp both wires together if there is still room.

A posi-lock terminal is another option which will also provide a temporary solution but it's not as reliable as crimping, I think, even though Posi connectors never failed me.

Don't use solder as solder will eventually come undone from vibrations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If replacing the harness is not an option I would use a crimper to crimp both wires together if there is still room.

A posi-lock terminal is another option which will also provide a temporary solution but it's not as reliable as crimping, I think, even though Posi connectors never failed me.

Don't use solder as solder will eventually come undone from vibrations.
Definitely going to try the Posi Connectors first, see how that works out and go from there! Thank you for the help!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts