Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I have been torn up, undecided what to buy.

For the longest time I had my mind set on the R3. After shopping around I have found a used 2006 FZ6. After looking into it, I really like it. Called up insurance and they gave me a crazy quote (150$ a year!).

So, from my point of view:

R3 pros:
- Enough power
- Cool Sporty looks (more sporty seat, clip ons, etc)
- Brand new bike, get to say it's mine from the beginning
- Small and lightweight
- Better fuel economy

FZ6 pros:
- Loads of power! Wont wish for more power than this.
- Cheaper cost (can find some around 3-4K tops)
- Cheaper insurance (150$ vs 450$ for the R3)
- I4 engine feel and sound
- More comfortable for commuting and longer distance

Everyone that has a bike I know personally tells me the FZ6 is a great bike and I should get that and not to worry about its age and mileage since its built like a tank. This is probably also due to the fact everyone I know likes bigger bikes and keeps on telling me that a 300 wont last me more than 2 years tops.

What worries me the most is the fact the FZ6 is an older bike and a gas guzzler compared to the R3. I might save on cost of the bike but end up spending more on gas. On the other hand the R3's power is a little worrying to me too. Everyone around me is trying brainwashing me into a bigger bike. I have also been riding a CB500 lately and I am scared the R3 will not provide enough thrill for me. I will have to find a dealer that will let me test out the R3 first at this point.

What do you guys think? Any of you owned a FZ6 before? (FZ6 and not the FZ6R).

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
So lately I have been torn up, undecided what to buy.

For the longest time I had my mind set on the R3. After shopping around I have found a used 2006 FZ6. After looking into it, I really like it. Called up insurance and they gave me a crazy quote (150$ a year!).

So, from my point of view:

R3 pros:
- Enough power
- Cool Sporty looks (more sporty seat, clip ons, etc)
- Brand new bike, get to say it's mine from the beginning
- Small and lightweight
- Better fuel economy

FZ6 pros:
- Loads of power! Wont wish for more power than this.
- Cheaper cost (can find some around 3-4K tops)
- Cheaper insurance (150$ vs 450$ for the R3)
- I4 engine feel and sound
- More comfortable for commuting and longer distance

Everyone that has a bike I know personally tells me the FZ6 is a great bike and I should get that and not to worry about its age and mileage since its built like a tank. This is probably also due to the fact everyone I know likes bigger bikes and keeps on telling me that a 300 wont last me more than 2 years tops.

What worries me the most is the fact the FZ6 is an older bike and a gas guzzler compared to the R3. I might save on cost of the bike but end up spending more on gas. On the other hand the R3's power is a little worrying to me too. Everyone around me is trying brainwashing me into a bigger bike. I have also been riding a CB500 lately and I am scared the R3 will not provide enough thrill for me. I will have to find a dealer that will let me test out the R3 first at this point.

What do you guys think? Any of you owned a FZ6 before? (FZ6 and not the FZ6R).

Hard to say. Some riders will want to size up after riding the R3 for a while. There is a used KTM Duke 390 at my local dealership with 294 miles on it. The guy already wanted a bigger bike. I believe he bought an FZ-07.

It's obviously a personal decision. Will your friends let you try out their bikes?

As a note, many of us here on the Forum have traded DOWN to the smaller R3 (or added it to our collection) after having ridden and owned bigger bikes (in some case, MUCH bigger bikes including liter class or larger). motorcycles over the years.

Find a dealer that will let you test ride both the R3 and a couple larger displacement bikes and see what you think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up buying the fz6. Test rode the R3 first, loved it but had to try the FZ6 out too. After taking a spin on the FZ6, fell in love with it. Loved that i4 hum at low RPM and the way power just gets unleashed as you rev it. It does feel heavier and less "flickable" but at the same time more stable at highway speeds. Once I rode it I didn't care about its age or fuel consumption so I just went for it.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I ended up buying the fz6. Test rode the R3 first, loved it but had to try the FZ6 out too. After taking a spin on the FZ6, fell in love with it. Loved that i4 hum at low RPM and the way power just gets unleashed as you rev it. It does feel heavier and less "flickable" but at the same time more stable at highway speeds. Once I rode it I didn't care about its age or fuel consumption so I just went for it.
Enjoy it!

Here are the forums for the FZ6

http://www.fz6forums.com/

http://www.600riders.com/forum/cmps_index.php

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-fz6r/

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would go with the FZ6 after riding around on a 250 cc beater for a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2009 FZ6 and a R3. I find myself going for the R3 more than the FZ6. Then again most of my rides are on backroads where the R3 really seems to live. The FZ6 is fun on backroads, but I enjoy the smaller, less powerful, but more flickable bike in those conditions. I picked up my FZ6 in the spring with just under 17k Miles on it and it is about to cross 18k. I have no doubts that it will go 30k without issue if I take care of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts