Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about japan recall,I talked to Yamaha and they said usa recall is in the works. They hoped to have something out soon.The bad part is they say You should Not ride bike till fixed? Possible rear wheel lock up. So anyone looking to buy should be aware of this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
After reading about japan recall,I talked to Yamaha and they said usa recall is in the works. They hoped to have something out soon.The bad part is they say You should Not ride bike till fixed? Possible rear wheel lock up. So anyone looking to buy should be aware of this.

So in that case shouldn't Yamaha USA not be selling any R3s until this issue is fixed?

www.r3fans.com
YZF-R3 Matte Gray
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Called my dealer to get some info. They said on the 14th they released an intent to recall that will replace the entire clutch pressure plate and the oil pump. They said they have nothing more than that at the time, but in the coming weeks, should be getting an entire technical bulletin on it, parts, and information to reach buyers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Called my dealer to get some info. They said on the 14th they released an intent to recall that will replace the entire clutch pressure plate and the oil pump. They said they have nothing more than that at the time, but in the coming weeks, should be getting an entire technical bulletin on it, parts, and information to reach buyers.
Thanks or the heads up. Of course this also just ruined my day,:(

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think they would stop selling, My bike is less than 2 weeks old, So Yamaha knew when I picked it up it was going to be recalled. And the big problem is if they tell You not to ride!!!!! Our season is short in the northeast, and will they have parts to fix the bike. Someone could go in and buy a bike than told they can not ride it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would think they would stop selling, My bike is less than 2 weeks old, So Yamaha knew when I picked it up it was going to be recalled. And the big problem is if they tell You not to ride!!!!! Our season is short in the northeast, and will they have parts to fix the bike. Someone could go in and buy a bike than told they can not ride it.

I am with you on that.. A short season and then Yamaha says not to ride!?
I am approaching 500 mile on mine. No problem whatsoever as of now.

www.r3fans.com
YZF-R3 Matte Gray

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have about 250 miles on mine, We may never have a problem but not a good feeling that the clutch or oil pump may lock up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have about 250 miles on mine, We may never have a problem but not a good feeling that the clutch or oil pump may lock up.

True.. Well let's hope that recall notice is out soon! Enjoy the riding season

www.r3fans.com
YZF-R3 Matte Gray

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have 1,400 miles on my R3. No problems so far, other than a transmission that was picky shifting.

I'll keep riding my R3 until I get a recall notice. Then I will schedule an appointment with my local dealer
to get the recall done on it.
I only had my R3 for about 3 months, so it's still in it's 1-year warranty period.
Even if your R3 is out of the warranty period, you can still get the recall done for free.
That's how a "recall" works.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm glad Yamaha is doing something about this issue.
Of course, I knew nothing about an "oil pump issue". That was a surprise to me.
I only knew about the "clutch bearing" problem.
I wonder what is wrong with the oil pump on the R3?
:|

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have to take the bike to the dealership to have the recall work done? I would rather take my bike to a shop I trust...

... instead of one where I watched them pull broken parts off my bike, and put them on a brand new 2016 for the next buyer to hopefully not notice until its too late / deal with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I am trying to find a phone number or email for Yamaha USA so I can tell them I am the new owner of my R3 and hopefully get the rest of my 4 month warranty.

Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I have 5800 miles on mine with no issues.

I feel that if they found a serious issue with the potential for the bike to lock up, they would have made an Official announcement immediately due to liability issues and lawsuits.

I'll ride until a real recall comes. Here say has no weight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The recall is out in asia, My info comes from Yamaha tech. dept. They say the USA Highway safety dept is one of the hold ups. So A little more than hearsay. GM was in no hurry to recall when they knew people were dying in crashes!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad Yamaha is doing something about this issue.
Of course, I knew nothing about an "oil pump issue". That was a surprise to me.
I only knew about the "clutch bearing" problem.
I wonder what is wrong with the oil pump on the R3?
:|

According to the recall notice:

Attachments

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
According to the recall notice:
SO... the gear in the oil pump is made of PLASTIC, and if it breaks....
the engine is "LIKELY TO GET BAKED" !!!!

:eek:

Yeah, without oil pressure.... it's gonna get "BAKED" alright! :|

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got 15000kms on my bike and no problem so far. I've got a 5000km trip planned July first week so now this recall thing worries me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My feeling is that the bike has a 12 month warranty and as far as I am concerned I am going to keep riding like I never heard of the recall or been advised by Yamaha of any problem, so if it goes it will be on them to make everything right.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts