Yamaha R3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 307 Posts
SO... the gear in the oil pump is made of PLASTIC, and if it breaks....
the engine is "LIKELY TO GET BAKED" !!!!

:eek:

Yeah, without oil pressure.... it's gonna get "BAKED" alright! :|
Well F me and call me charlie.. Honestly im at about 6700 miles on this bike with no issues, i havent been riding for a week due to a common cold, and i waited all this time just to take my bike out to read this..F it , im going on a ride with my pals today and most likely going to continue to ride until i get a recall notice directly in the mail. What you think CBRpilot, i trust your opinion, you think us higher mileaged R3's are in the clear? Ive had this bike since sept 2015. I dont wanna die on this thing just bc of a faulty peice of plastic...

Honestly, even if your bike is out of warranty, there is a very good chance that if you suffer damage to your bike due to these exact problems (between now and when the recall repairs are performed), Yamaha would more than likely fix the bike for free. They now know of the problem and recognize it.
It's faulty engineering and they will need to correct the problem.

And as CBR said, regardless of warranty status, recalls are performed free of charge for all owners.

After reading about japan recall,I talked to Yamaha and they said usa recall is in the works. They hoped to have something out soon.The bad part is they say You should Not ride bike till fixed? Possible rear wheel lock up. So anyone looking to buy should be aware of this.
My car is part of the Takata airbag recall, I got my letter back in Feb informing me that I will get another letter in the summer (which has not arrived) letting me know when the local dealers will have enough parts to perform the recalls and that in the meantime I should no longer drive my car. Hahahahah. FEBRUARY!

Anyway, its just a liability issue. They just covered their ass because they have on record telling you not to ride, but by all means, go ahead and ride. I've been driving my airbag death machine car since all this time after all BECAUSE I HAVE NO FREAKING CHOICE unless I spend my own money out of pocket on a rental for 4-6 months.

BECAUSE I HAVE NO FREAKING CHOICE unless I spend my own money out of pocket on a rental for 4-6 months.
There are two ladies I work with who own Honda SUV's with similar airbag recalls. Both have been provided rentals since early this year (paid for by Honda). I could not believe Honda is footing those rentals for that length of time. When their parts come in, the dealer will tow their vehicle back to their shop for the recall. They won't let their techs drive the vehicle either. -Yes, liability.

I was in the same boat with you driving my Toyota. I drove about a year before they finally had the parts for my vehicle. I guess it takes a while to manufacture several million airbags. :D

Here's the reply back from Yamaha Canada I got today:

Good morning Chris!

I’ve checked in the Yamaha system to see if there is any outstanding recalls, bulletins, tech tips or reports attributed to this however there is nothing. If there is anything in the near future that is confirm and issue to Yamaha motor Canada Ltd from factory, our dealership Canada-wide will be the first one to get all proper documentation to assist the consumers.

Sincerely,
Remi

I hope we don't get screwed over on this one.

I was in the same boat with you driving my Toyota. I drove about a year before they finally had the parts for my vehicle.
We got caught up in the airbag thing with our last Acura MDX as well. We got a letter in the mail last Spring telling us that we were not effected by the recall because we didn't live in an excessively warm climate. A few months later, we got another letter telling us to have he car brought in for recall repairs immediately.

I think we got lucky because they had the parts needed and the repairs were done in just a few days.

Just left the Yamaha dealership where I purchased my 2016 R3 a couple months ago. They just got the recall two days ago. They checked my VIN number and luckily I wasn't on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you please tell the last 6 numbers in your VIN.

Yea, I can do that. Is there a site that you can check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your VIN is on the triple tree right in front of tank, right side, It's a sticker with # on it.

The last 4 digits of my Vin are 9207, date of 08/15, did the Vin search and didn't find anything.
Think you'll need last 6 numbers.

I don't get too worried about certain recalls.
I have had a few recalls for my car, and I didn't even bother to mess with them.
Most of the time, a recall is just the manufacturer trying to cover their A$$ against potential lawsuits.

As for my R3, I rode it last night. I would keep on riding it, but the weather is now too hot here to ride anymore.
So... the bike will most likely just sit until the weather is cool enough to ride at night.
No idea when that will be. Maybe October?
:|

21 - 40 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.