Yamaha R3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 307 Posts
Maybe that's related to the smell on my bike which I still have at 1800 miles.
Probably not.
Did the oil pressure warning light come-on on your dash?

Does your engine still run when you hit the start button?
If your oil pump stops working... your engine will seize-up.

Probably not.
Did the oil pressure warning light come-on on your dash?

Does your engine still run when you hit the start button?
If your oil pump stops working... your engine will seize-up.
No warning lights and runs fine, just smells when turning off. Anyway, I don't want to threadjack on this important thread. Hopefully, Yamaha takes care of us. I don't want to have to worry every several thoussand miles that the bike will just quit on me cause the clutch or oil pump disintegrates.

Jesus Christ, not trying to be an ass but some of you guys need to do a little more thinking and a little less talking.

A recall has nothing to do with warranty. The Takata recall, for example, primarily hit vehicles that were out of warranty. A recall is made when it is determined a part failure has the potential to be life threatening. The Takata one, for example, only exploded shrapnel one in a million, not even that, and yet it has hit almost every car manufacturer who used them. Your warranty is irrelevant in this case.

Secondly, what has been submitted at this point is an intent to recall, not an actual recall. As a result, you will be tough pressed to find any information on this other than going to fairly direct sources because there is not an actual recall out yet. I have spoke with two different dealers and received the same answer from both so I will take what I was told as pretty factual. Again, that is that there is currently an intent to recall here in the USA and there should be more information in the coming weeks.

Just because something is a common issue doesn't mean it's something that will affect everyone. Take, for example, even the most common problems on any car you could ever think of. Think of how long you know of it, how much we give that car crap. And yet, there's millions of it on the road probably that never had a problem at all. Our bike is still new, very new, and not many above a few thousand miles. What is a common problem, a bomb waiting to explode in all bikes, may not be at the end of its fuse for the majority of the bikes. However, it appears at least one of the items on the recall, the bearing, was a very common issue, especially amongst guys who track/race their bike. Go figure, the people who use the bike the most are seeing a higher failure rate.

And in regards to the incredibly intelligent individual before who wrote this all off as a load of hearsay, sure, the bike is probably safe to ride. Probably. You could likely go 20k miles and never have an issue. As a result, I will never tell you not to ride it. But the fact is, Yamaha researched the problem enough and concluded it was enough of a potential issue to invest quite a sum of money into making sure their riders are not put in danger on their machines. You should be thanking them for this. At this point in time, although there is not an official recall stateside yet, there is more than enough documentation it is coming and has already happened in the Japanese market.

One last thing in regards to the Takata recall some discussed, many manufacturers, in the documentation they sent out, say it a loaner vehicle will be required. My Saab, for example, mentioned that. I had to play hardball with my dealer, but after calling Saab USA they were happy to force the hand of my local service center. I drove a nice Chevy Tahoe for two weeks while I waited for my airbag to come in.

One last thing in regards to the Takata recall some discussed, many manufacturers, in the documentation they sent out, say it a loaner vehicle will be required. My Saab, for example, mentioned that. I had to play hardball with my dealer, but after calling Saab USA they were happy to force the hand of my local service center. I drove a nice Chevy Tahoe for two weeks while I waited for my airbag to come in.
Good luck with hundreds of dealers providing loaner rides to R3 owners. I going through in my mind right now how I'm going to handle the recall on my bike when it comes. My dealer is about 20 miles away. It would be nice to be able to ride my bike out there and ride away on a loaner bike, but I don't want to fantasize.

The oil pump pressure relief valve does not always reduce pressure correctly at high RPM.
So what happens, is the load on the oil pump goes up, and the drive gear (made of resin.. Plastic..) can either strip, or break.
Doing so means zero oil pressure, and a oil starved engine is the end result.
By the time you realize you just lost your oil pump, its too late.
There is an Oil pressure light, but its pretty small.
If you happen to be paying closer attention to your riding (as most of us do), you may not catch the oil light in time.
Ultimately, this is a pretty dangerous failure.
The clutch pressure plate bearing failure is only slightly less dangerous, but not being able to properly shift in the right circumstances, could be an accident waiting to happen.

yeah, @Homyality lives modern country. but not all of us are that much lucky.

in my country when your warranty is ended (or some times when it still active), all the problems are caused by rider fault or rider error.

in this case, i bet i will be hear from service,

"- you did power wheelie alot, and thats why your engine is wrecked."

Jesus Christ, not trying to be an ass but some of you guys need to do a little more thinking and a little less talking.

A recall has nothing to do with warranty. The Takata recall, for example, primarily hit vehicles that were out of warranty. A recall is made when it is determined a part failure has the potential to be life threatening. The Takata one, for example, only exploded shrapnel one in a million, not even that, and yet it has hit almost every car manufacturer who used them. Your warranty is irrelevant in this case.

Secondly, what has been submitted at this point is an intent to recall, not an actual recall. As a result, you will be tough pressed to find any information on this other than going to fairly direct sources because there is not an actual recall out yet. I have spoke with two different dealers and received the same answer from both so I will take what I was told as pretty factual. Again, that is that there is currently an intent to recall here in the USA and there should be more information in the coming weeks.

Just because something is a common issue doesn't mean it's something that will affect everyone. Take, for example, even the most common problems on any car you could ever think of. Think of how long you know of it, how much we give that car crap. And yet, there's millions of it on the road probably that never had a problem at all. Our bike is still new, very new, and not many above a few thousand miles. What is a common problem, a bomb waiting to explode in all bikes, may not be at the end of its fuse for the majority of the bikes. However, it appears at least one of the items on the recall, the bearing, was a very common issue, especially amongst guys who track/race their bike. Go figure, the people who use the bike the most are seeing a higher failure rate.

And in regards to the incredibly intelligent individual before who wrote this all off as a load of hearsay, sure, the bike is probably safe to ride. Probably. You could likely go 20k miles and never have an issue. As a result, I will never tell you not to ride it. But the fact is, Yamaha researched the problem enough and concluded it was enough of a potential issue to invest quite a sum of money into making sure their riders are not put in danger on their machines. You should be thanking them for this. At this point in time, although there is not an official recall stateside yet, there is more than enough documentation it is coming and has already happened in the Japanese market.

After reading about japan recall,I talked to Yamaha and they said usa recall is in the works. They hoped to have something out soon.The bad part is they say You should Not ride bike till fixed? Possible rear wheel lock up. So anyone looking to buy should be aware of this.
My car is part of the Takata airbag recall, I got my letter back in Feb informing me that I will get another letter in the summer (which has not arrived) letting me know when the local dealers will have enough parts to perform the recalls and that in the meantime I should no longer drive my car. Hahahahah. FEBRUARY!

Anyway, its just a liability issue. They just covered their ass because they have on record telling you not to ride, but by all means, go ahead and ride. I've been driving my airbag death machine car since all this time after all BECAUSE I HAVE NO FREAKING CHOICE unless I spend my own money out of pocket on a rental for 4-6 months.
I've been riding my airbag grenade death car for a year... I got the letter telling me to get it changed.... yep. Still haven't got it. I just forget... because I have to travel 30miles :/ they only told me to not sit a passenger in my car buy then later we got a letter saying to not drive at all because they can just blow whenever. Yay Japan! :p I love Japanese things but airbags.... my safety... airbags??

Most of the people replying saying "my dealer will give us info in 2 weeks" or "they checked and said my vin isn't being flagged for recall" are first time bike owners who never had to deal with recalls before so you need to cut them some slack. (edit: dammit, I have no idea why my phone figured to change cut to come)

Yes, soon they will discover the month+ it will take before an official letter is mailed out, along with the longer wait for them to have all the recall parts available for every owner unless they are the type of dealer who insists on holding your bike for a week while they order the parts only AFTER they get your bike sitting in the tech bay.... anyway, yeah, these newbie owners don't realize it will take anywhere from 1 month to 6 months before they get their recall sorted out.

The recall on my first bike took 4 months from the time people clamored all over the forums with the urgent info to the time parts were available.

Reactions: CBRpilot
Good luck with hundreds of dealers providing loaner rides to R3 owners. I going through in my mind right now how I'm going to handle the recall on my bike when it comes. My dealer is about 20 miles away. It would be nice to be able to ride my bike out there and ride away on a loaner bike, but I don't want to fantasize.
Agreed, and I highly doubt that will be the case here. I was just using the example to people discussing the Takata recall and complaining about vehicle usage that that may be an option based on one of my personal experiences. How each company chooses to handle it is up to them. Although, from what I understood from Saab USA, the dealership pays for the loaner, they get reimbursed by, in this case, Saab USA, who gets reimbursed by Takata so there was literally no reason not to. But that could just be a negotiated agreement there.

It would be awesome, but agreed, I doubt that to be the case here.

yeah, @Homyality lives modern country. but not all of us are that much lucky.

in my country when your warranty is ended (or some times when it still active), all the problems are caused by rider fault or rider error.

in this case, i bet i will be hear from service,

"- you did power wheelie alot, and thats why your engine is wrecked."
Yeah, I can't speak to other places. Sucks to live there. We have tons of laws to protect consumers against that kind of crap here!

What about bikes that have been modded for track riding? Would they be covered?

Example: full exhaust, CARB stuff removed etc (in Cali btw)....I'll take it in nekked, dont want to show them the track fairings on fear that they would call it a race bike and not cover any warranty
As with cars and other things of the like, there's two things here. How many companies approach this is if any mods could interfere with the part in the recall they may deny it, but I've read before because it's a legal recall they can't do this? I've heard misinformation about this. But take the Takata recall, for example as it has been used, my Saabaru is highly modified but the airbag has nothing to do with it so I still took it in.

I'd say do some research and try to find a localish dealer that is mod friendly and take it to them. Better safe than sorry.

41 - 60 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.