Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is well. I purchased my 2015 R3 last year in February. I am coming up on the end of the manufacture's warranty (I did not purchase any extended at the time of purchase ). With that, I am now receiving emails from Yamaha to enroll in Y.E.S. I do plan on keeping the bike for another two years before upgrading so I am leaning towards it for piece of mind. Does anyone have experience with Yamaha Y.E.S.? Or any other extended warranty on motorcycles? Is it worth it?

Looking for any insight, opinions, experiences!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
542 Posts
Extended warranties, in general, are a money grab. In the case of a bike, the only thing that would make it a worthwhile investment is a catastrophic issue, like a transmission or engine, and you'd need to prove it wasn't your fault to make the claim. The odds of that happening are pretty low.

I skipped the yes, and will continue to do so, as I've got 50,000 miles on two yamahas (15k on my r3 so far) without a single issue that would've been covered.

Modern Japanese bikes are very reliable. You can evaluate your level of risk tolerance, but I've never seen anyone need the Yes. Not on here, in my fz8 forum, or any local guys with yammies.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Also worth mentioning, if you do decide to get it, call several dealers and see what they quote you.

There is room for negotiation on the price of yes, or at least that's what I've been told.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Extended warranties, in general, are a money grab. In the case of a bike, the only thing that would make it a worthwhile investment is a catastrophic issue, like a transmission or engine, and you'd need to prove it wasn't your fault to make the claim. The odds of that happening are pretty low.

I skipped the yes, and will continue to do so, as I've got 50,000 miles on two yamahas (15k on my r3 so far) without a single issue that would've been covered.

Modern Japanese bikes are very reliable. You can evaluate your level of risk tolerance, but I've never seen anyone need the Yes. Not on here, in my fz8 forum, or any local guys with yammies.
All of this....agree.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would consider it for Italian bikes (if there is such a thing for them) or Harleys. Maybe for KTM or BMW. But Japanese bikes? No.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would consider it for Italian bikes (if there is such a thing for them) or Harleys. Maybe for KTM or BMW. But Japanese bikes? No.
My BMW has been into service for warranty issues less times than my R3 and I've owned it much longer..

When I picked my bike up it was only a couple of hundred dollars to extend my drivetrain warranty out for a few years. I don't even remember the specifics because I haven't had to use it and it's been so long. For a couple hundred bucks, the warranty covers the only couple of things I wouldn't want to fix on the bike. If the shock started leaking, for example, I'd just replace it with a better one. Brakes, upgrade. But if the engine went I'd just sell the bike.

Take that for what it's worth.

Further food for thought, if you ride the bike hard there have been a decent amount of complaints from track/racing riders of engine problems. If you ride it pretty hard, and I mean really hard - like I do - then that money spent may be worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
It comes down to risk tolerance and how deep your wallet is for repairs. Take a look at the coverage and read the fine print - what is covered, what isn't and what are your responsibilities? If you are not mechanically inclined, this might be a good route. Or if you are not comfortable (cost wise), with self insuring your potential repairs then its also a good option.

Do dealers make money on it? Of course they do. But they are in the business of making money by selling products and services, same as any other business so in my opinion that shouldn't influence your decision.

For me personally, I skipped the service contract because I'm confident that my dealer will give me good service (for maintenance) and because I'm willing to wrench on it myself if needed for any larger repairs.

But on my personal car, I bought it because I knew that there would be things that would be far beyond my basic skills and I have already used it once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts