Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015, Fender Eliminate, LED Flashers
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dig in and watch a lot of videos regarding exhaust sound. I like the tune of the Yoshi Pipe. Is it truly that the pipe is Made in USA inspite of the name it is sounds Japanese. Well anyways as we goes on, there are 2 options to have, Slip On and Full System. What do you Guys recommend and what is the exact sound as I havent seen a Video of the Slip On, all were Full System. And if ever putting this pipe should I need an ECU Mapping? My previous experience with ditech scooters are kicking in my head. Any thoughts Will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The slip-on won't give the same sound. The slip-on retains the OEM CAT, which does the most "muffling" of the exhaust. Most slip-ons are only slightly louder than stock. That being said, you can add a slip-on without changing the fueling. If you go with a full exhaust, you will need to have the ECU "flashed", or add piggyback fuel controller such as PCV or similar. I have experience with both, and prefer getting the ECU flashed. Most companies that flash ECU's have a mail-in service, where you just send them your ECU, and they work their magic-

·
Registered
2018 R3
61 Posts
I have a full Yoshi (R-77) on my R3. I bought the bike used and the previous owner had installed it on the bike. I can't comment on the difference in tone or in decibels between the Yoshi full system and the slip on version because I've only had the full exhaust on this bike. The full R-77 exhaust looks beautiful and sounds very nice and throaty in my opinion and I would expect the R-77 slip on to sound close that (maybe quieter). And it's not insanely loud, even with the baffle removed. I ran a Yoshi TRC (which is similar to the R-77 design) slip on exhaust on a Ninja 250R and it sounded great, every bit as good and loud as the full R-77 exhaust on my R3.

If what you are after is a different exhaust sound, and you are not racing the bike, I would recommend a slip on as opposed to a full system. The slip on does not affect the air to fuel ratio like a full unrestricted exhaust does. You won't gain or loose any performance from installing a slip on. Any performance gains from installing a full system require a custom tune/fuel mapping and the performance gains are relatively small (say ~3 HP). Unless you are racing, you may not even notice the performance gains from the full exhaust and fuel mapping. A full exhaust system coupled with a custom ECU flash or piggy back fuel controller will be significantly more expensive than a slip on exhaust.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what I would do.

·
Registered
2015, Fender Eliminate, LED Flashers
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a full Yoshi (R-77) on my R3. I bought the bike used and the previous owner had installed it on the bike. I can't comment on the difference in tone or in decibels between the Yoshi full system and the slip on version because I've only had the full exhaust on this bike. The full R-77 exhaust looks beautiful and sounds very nice and throaty in my opinion and I would expect the R-77 slip on to sound close that (maybe quieter). And it's not insanely loud, even with the baffle removed. I ran a Yoshi TRC (which is similar to the R-77 design) slip on exhaust on a Ninja 250R and it sounded great, every bit as good and loud as the full R-77 exhaust on my R3.

If what you are after is a different exhaust sound, and you are not racing the bike, I would recommend a slip on as opposed to a full system. The slip on does not affect the air to fuel ratio like a full unrestricted exhaust does. You won't gain or loose any performance from installing a slip on. Any performance gains from installing a full system require a custom tune/fuel mapping and the performance gains are relatively small (say ~3 HP). Unless you are racing, you may not even notice the performance gains from the full exhaust and fuel mapping. A full exhaust system coupled with a custom ECU flash or piggy back fuel controller will be significantly more expensive than a slip on exhaust.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what I would do.
Thanks for the Input, I was thinking going on a dealer and ask. I might get ripped off after if they’ll say put the full system and needed mapping. I Will be doing the slip on and Buy the muffler once I pass my Close Track Exam to put as a reward to myself and hoping I will pass, this will be my motivation getting the Yoshi Pipe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A slip on would be my choice. It changes the looks of the bike and the tone of sound. A full exhaust as opposed to a slipon requires way too much spendings and fiddling with the fuel system/air ratios for very little benefit powerwise. Also full exhaust is much louder. One would need earplugs on longer trips every time if one cares about the hearing, which is another burden.

But if you want it, go ahead. It's good first time experience fiddling with a cheap bike and cheaper aftermarket parts compared to litre bikes for example.

I tried almost every possible upgrade on my R3 before selling it after 5 years of ownership so I've played enough :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts