Yamaha R3 Forums banner

You Blip or Slip?

21K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  bweezy 
#1 ·
Downshifiting, we all do it and will continue to do it. But how do you do it? For fast riding there are two main schools of thought, blipping and slipping. Blipping is far easier execution wise, while slipping does require a touch more finesse but is much easier once you get the hands for it.

For fast riding our real goal during downshifts (aside from rev matching and scrubbing speed) is maximizing speed (time), you're trying to minimize the amount of time the gearbox and engine are disengaged from one another.

So whats what?

Blipping is common, a short twist of the throttle after clutching. Clutch, blip, shift, release. You're only looking for a couple grand at most on the tach so no need to be ham fisted. You don't want over revs as once you release the clutch you may find yourself in a surge of forward momentum, not exactly ideal when preparing for the bendy bits.

Slipping removes the blip from the mathematics. Clutch, downshift, ease clutch out. Basically you want to just barely disengage the engine from the gearbox, so the lower gear can "slip" in, then you easily release the clutch back to where it bites and away we go. You will need to be careful you dont dump the clutch, which means dont rush or you run the risk of missing gears or having the tail wag the dog ;)

The other option is to go for a slipper clutch, which filters out most of the negative effects of slipping. A dedicated slipper reduces the amount of engine braking transferred gear to gear.

Realistically its a question of personal preference, which one is easier for you to execute consistently?

See less See more
#21 ·
I'm a Blisper (blipper and a slipper) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaBrN2pn3w
We've been to Jason Pridmore's Starschool a few times so we see the value in slipping as far as stabilizing the bike. I like to get the down shifts done right after I roll off the throttle sometimes taking 2 gears down and start to slip the clutch all the way to just before the apex where it will be out and the throttle will be back on.

#22 ·
I'm a degenerate blipper, but sometime slipper. A slipper clutch is cool, and while I am mechanically inclined but no professional mechanic, I do believe making systems more layered and complicated, makes them less reliable, more prone to failure rates, more expensive, & while assisting the rider/driver insulates it from the "feel" & overall "control." Technology is great, but systems like ABS, slipper clutch, traction control, etc takes something away from the rider and in many ways takes from his/her overall ability even if done in the name of safety.

I do not know if a slipper clutch is less reliable than its conventional counterpart however. I believe this is applicable generally, but not to everything. Also, on a related aside, a slipper would have added an extra cost & to the retail price methinks of the R3, and & wonder if it is necessary on a smaller displacement motorcycle. None - of my last 3 bikes have had a slipper clutch-1992 Yamaha FZR 600, 2003 Honda CBR600RR, and now my beloved Yamaha YZF-R3.

Does anyone prefer a slipper clutch and wish it was on the R3?

#23 ·
I always blip since I haven't owned a bike with a slipper clutch yet. It definitely is a nice safety feature as when agressively downshifting I've had a couple blips that were less than perfect. - ie. going into first at ~30 mph and I could've given it another thousand RPMs. I enjoy rev matching and I quickly grasped the concept when I first started riding. I just have trouble applying the front brake and rev matching but I'm nearly certain adjustable levers would fix that.

#28 ·
Backing off the throttle momentarily and then bringing it back up as you release the clutch helps everything mesh properly. Not quite a blip in the same sense as downshifting, just rolling off slightly. Effectively what a quick shifter does, and eliminates the need to roll off yourself.

Make it a whole lot smoother. Don't know anyone who doesn't do that.

#35 · (Edited)
I'm doing something different lately. I've always blip shifted regardless of the bike or clutch type. Probably based on having done it for so long. Then I was watching one of the R3 race videos (don't remember who's it was now) and heard something new. On downshift he would blip the throttle but hold it open and smoothly let the clutch out while entering a corner and then accelerate out. I started doing the same thing and it feels really nice and is so much smoother. Almost sounds like what a slipper clutch would sound like. I'll try and find the video and post it here.

It's from Gregg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5GbpySKGJsA

You can hear it in a lot of his corners particularly right before he runs into the sand at 1:52.

Marc

#38 ·
Definitely blip, revmatching feels so much cooler, makes it sound much more race-y on a flyby, and gets the bike feeling engaged with the road at all times, instead of those pauses you get when the clutch is disengaged.

However I do semi-slip blip when rev-matching into first, since the light weight of the bike and the huge engine braking means that once first is engaged, the sudden deceleration isn't ideal for stability.

So up or down, beyond the shift from 2 to 1, I always revmatch. It's cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.